Society/Culture Melbourne cafe Handsome Her closing two years after introducing ‘man tax’

Dixie Normous

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/life...x/news-story/cf19a4e85e46981815e498e2d3d43ed0

A vegan cafe in Melbourne’s north, which “became the punching bag of Melbourne” after introducing an 18 per cent “man tax”, is closing down so its owner can pursue some “hands-on” work.

Handsome Her opened in 2017 and made international headlines with a bold approach to making a difference in closing the gender pay gap.

The owners of the Brunswick venture asked men to pay an 18 per cent premium one week a month and advertised ruled on a chalkboard out front that included “women have priority seating” and “respect goes both ways”.

The “tax” paid by male diners went to Elizabeth Morgan House Aboriginal Women’s Services.

Owner Alexandra O’Brien said in August two years ago that the tax wasn’t strictly enforced.

“If people aren’t comfortable paying it or men don’t want to pay it, we’re not going to kick them out the door. It’s just a good opportunity to do some good,” Ms O’Brien said.

Owners revealed the cafe’s imminent closure in a post on Facebook, saying they had expected “to make a stir” but received more than their share of negative feedback, even from their own community.

“We were just one little tiny shop on Sydney Rd that was trying to carve out a swathe of space to prioritise women and women’s issues, and suddenly we became the punching bag of Melbourne and the internet.

“Yes, we are the evil, discriminatory, man-hating dykes who charge men more when didn’t you know the wage gap doesn’t even exist!?”

TimmeT

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

This has already been trolled with some saying they will go and pay nothing.

Apr 13, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Isn't there about 8 threads this could be posted in?

We need to expose this blatant discrimination whenever it occurs. I am greatful to the men that scour the internet and businesses to uncover every and any effort to offer women an advantage.

Sure we could do the grownup thing and ignore it or not go to the cafe but.... fk that s**t.

Apr 13, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
As usual Kidd Vicious whinges with this comment when a separate thread is started which negatively highlights something he supports

Agree. There seems to be an abundance of sjw threads on this board whinging about sjw issues.

Clearly demonstrated by the current active threads.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
As usual Kidd Vicious whinges with this comment when a separate thread is started which negatively highlights something he supports
Start as many as you want.

But there's a reason few posters are posting stuff anymore, other than this right wing culture warrior w ank.

TimmeT

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Start as many as you want.

But there's a reason few posters are posting stuff anymore, other than this right wing culture warrior w ank.
Whos saying it is purely right wing culture warrior stuff. More than a few leftie guys I know cannot stand feminists and will even end up shitfighting with them.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/life...x/news-story/cf19a4e85e46981815e498e2d3d43ed0

A vegan cafe in Melbourne’s north, which “became the punching bag of Melbourne” after introducing an 18 per cent “man tax”, is closing down so its owner can pursue some “hands-on” work.

Handsome Her opened in 2017 and made international headlines with a bold approach to making a difference in closing the gender pay gap.

The owners of the Brunswick venture asked men to pay an 18 per cent premium one week a month and advertised ruled on a chalkboard out front that included “women have priority seating” and “respect goes both ways”.

The “tax” paid by male diners went to Elizabeth Morgan House Aboriginal Women’s Services.

Owner Alexandra O’Brien said in August two years ago that the tax wasn’t strictly enforced.

“If people aren’t comfortable paying it or men don’t want to pay it, we’re not going to kick them out the door. It’s just a good opportunity to do some good,” Ms O’Brien said.

Owners revealed the cafe’s imminent closure in a post on Facebook, saying they had expected “to make a stir” but received more than their share of negative feedback, even from their own community.

“We were just one little tiny shop on Sydney Rd that was trying to carve out a swathe of space to prioritise women and women’s issues, and suddenly we became the punching bag of Melbourne and the internet.

“Yes, we are the evil, discriminatory, man-hating dykes who charge men more when didn’t you know the wage gap doesn’t even exist!?”

Another nutcase bites the dust.

She'll probably be the next coach of North.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Is that anywhere near Sydney Road?

206 Sydney Rd.

It's encouraging that the place couldn't sustain a viable business smack bang in the middle of it's supposed demographic.

dave_doncaster

Debutant
May 23, 2014
What hasn't been mentioned too, is that take away coffees are served in donated mugs. I happened to be walking past and needed a quick coffee without realising. After I ordered, I saw the waitress washing a couple of mugs and found it odd that she wasn't making our coffees. Then I saw the women have priority and 18% sign in there, and I immediately went for the door and left my female friend there cause she was paying. Anyway, I waited outside...my friend came out with two porcelain mugs!! I was WTFing. I was in tears laughing. And my friend explained they have an sustainable policy or something, and that take aways are served in whatever mugs are donated and recycled. This explained why the waitress was feverishly washing earlier. Worse though, my mug still had strong orange juice residue on it, which obviously was the last drink in it. I thought chocolate orange was bad. I couldn't drink it..but neither of us wanted to complain haha. It seems some of the other shopowners in the area have had their experiences too with this place.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mr Blicavs

Basking in Premiership glory!
Aug 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors - Maple Leafs
206 Sydney Rd.

It's encouraging that the place couldn't sustain a viable business smack bang in the middle of it's supposed demographic.
I imagine it’s male clientele is also the kind of bloke who likes paying prostitutes to dress them up in a gimp mask and degrade them.
Seriously, how much self loathing and male guilt would you have to have to eat at a place like that

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Sipping a coffee here on the gold coast at a busy cafe staffed entirely by women of the feminist and lesbian looking variety.

All staff are friendly and personable. Coffee excellent.
No hate or extra charge or guilt trip for being a guy.

Rough guess 50% customers here are men

Last edited:
Back