Women's Footy Melbourne captain Daisy Pearce slams suggested changes to the AFLW fixture as ‘gimmicky’

Remove this Banner Ad

Not too long ago John McEnroe put forward an opinion stating that Serena Williams would be ranked 700ish if she was a he, and on the mens tour.
It's interesting when you think about it, because women's tennis has undergone similar fights recently in relation to getting equal pay, despite playing 3 sets, not 5.

To summarise: A former ex elite tennis player, has observed that the best women's tennis player, perhaps ever, would be ranked 700th if she was playing among the men. That's quite a vast difference in skill level and ability, and from a layman's perspective, I can't see why that level of difference wouldn't also be a reasonable expectation in other sports, like AFL. And given, also, that it's very unlikely, that the women of the AFLW have trained for the same time as those men in the AFL who have often played since under 10's (n.b professional men's and women's tennis players would pick up a racket when they're kids), it's likely that the top AFL woman would probably be ranked far less than 700 if pitched against men in AFL, VFL, WAFL etc.

I'll reiterate, all of that is based on John McEnroe's opinion - however - shouldn't the footballing community in Australia aim to promote a more realistic approach with such stark realities of skill and ability differential in mind?

The whole concept seems to have extended far beyond sporting equality and seems to exist merely as a political mouthpiece for the AFL to espouse it's liberal values, all the while creating an unfair level of cash injection into a code that hasn't earned it while AFL mad states that continue to develop A-grade footballers, such as Tassie and N.T continue to get shafted.
The tennis example isn’t just a comparison in abilities of men vs women, though. It’s around how many people are interested in watching, how many companies are willing to sponsor etc. Obviously the singles tennis format lends itself to other forms of promotion around the personalities involved in both men’s and women’s tennis.

A bit like in boxing - we’d never expect a lightweight to box a heavyweight but any weight division at any time could be the money making ‘glamour’ division depending on the personalities involved. Or similarly, Ronda Rousey was probably getting more money than 1000s of male fighters who could defeat her, but more people were interested in watching her than them at that time it seemed.

So that’s probably what it comes down to for AFLW - are there enough people willing to watch and sponsor to make it viable in its current format, regardless of the actual comparitive footballing quality vs the men’s game.

Last edited:
Daisy is forgetting something. Increased season increased list sizes to cope with injuries.

Two new teams are coming with more teams on the way. It's just too many players to come up with.

Extend the lists by 5 players that's something like 40 new players on existing lists plus another 60 players for the new teams. That's a 100 new players in one season.

Then another two teams come in and then the season gets extended again and the lists get extended again.

The AFL is doing the right thing by going slowly.

The AFL backed themselves into a corner with the gender equality issue, the women's game should've been an AFLX model with 9 players a side played on a smaller playing field. Of course just saying that could set the world speed record for turning a comment section into a septic tank. For hundreds of years people and companies have decided that women like things one way, and men like them another, because of reasons. Physical reasons are not among them. Now they have 10 teams and the AFL reduce the fixture? Gil makes some inane comparison to the World Cup? (he is fair dinkum losing it!) WTF is going on over there at AFL HQ? I'm all for the women having a go and playing the game, but FFS can the AFL make a well thought out decision? The problem with the corporate world is in the decision making process, you will always find somebody who is s**t frightened of making a bold decision in-case it's the wrong decision? Nothing wrong at all with having a go and tinkering with a decision if it isn't working out as hoped. Wrong decisions can be fixed! IMO having the women playing on a field 170m long and 145m wide is ludicrous...AFLX was perfect, but how afraid were they of the feminists?....Gil and co should take the heat and make a new start with it immediately, that's if they are serious? Reducing the fixture is no answer and that won't help the fact that the women's game lacks oomph and scoring appears to be a rarity in the game! Change it GIL, you'll be a daisy if you do!

Last edited:
Pretty sure the FIFA World Cup reference will just be a precursor for an eventual Group Stage/Knock Out format for the Women’s league.

Which could work I guess?..

They clearly have about an 8 week window to work with here.

6 teams in each group. Play each other once. Two ladders to cover the two groups. Top 4 from both groups advance to a final 8 series over 4 weeks. The top two from each ladder get a double chance and home final in week one to the teams on top.

Example 1st from Group Pearce v 2nd from Group Blackburn
1st from Group Blackburn v 2nd from Group Pearce

Not too long ago John McEnroe put forward an opinion stating that Serena Williams would be ranked 700ish if she was a he, and on the mens tour.
It's interesting when you think about it, because women's tennis has undergone similar fights recently in relation to getting equal pay, despite playing 3 sets, not 5.

To summarise: A former ex elite tennis player, has observed that the best women's tennis player, perhaps ever, would be ranked 700th if she was playing among the men. That's quite a vast difference in skill level and ability, and from a layman's perspective, I can't see why that level of difference wouldn't also be a reasonable expectation in other sports, like AFL. And given, also, that it's very unlikely, that the women of the AFLW have trained for the same time as those men in the AFL who have often played since under 10's (n.b professional men's and women's tennis players would pick up a racket when they're kids), it's likely that the top AFL woman would probably be ranked far less than 700 if pitched against men in AFL, VFL, WAFL etc.

I'll reiterate, all of that is based on John McEnroe's opinion - however - shouldn't the footballing community in Australia aim to promote a more realistic approach with such stark realities of skill and ability differential in mind?

The whole concept seems to have extended far beyond sporting equality and seems to exist merely as a political mouthpiece for the AFL to espouse it's liberal values, all the while creating an unfair level of cash injection into a code that hasn't earned it while AFL mad states that continue to develop A-grade footballers, such as Tassie and N.T continue to get shafted.
John McEnroe's comments are fairly simplistic, and from them you've drawn a long bow. Serena Williams, regardless of where she may or may not rank in a competition she doesn't play in, is a superstar. Despite taking time off to have a baby, Forbes estimated here sponsorship deals netted her $18 million USD last year (as a comparison, Jason Day's total earnings - inc prize money in other words was $18.29 million AUD - Australia's top earner according to AFR for 2017). No one is paying her that kind of money for people not to watch her play. Worldwide, people do watch women's sport - women's tennis being a great example of that. If the AFL look after AFLW properly, I believe it will be successful.

Dunno. the first game was a sell out and people were confident the league would continue in the same vein. Posters who denounced the play(ers) were shouted down here.

I thought admission was free

Fairly sure the game in perth was a gold coin donation or some such

Gill comparing AFLW to the FIFA World Cup is a howler that will stay with him for some time.

Absurd.
Gil is off the chain bayyybeeee .

Think it is fair to say the Bombers saga is hovering and the job is in transition behind the scenes .

Now he has upset the girls by comparing the game to soccer :oops::rolleyes::p

Last edited:
The AFLW teams piggyback on the clubs resources though? Things like training facilities and coaches would be harder you'd think.

They do, but there wouldn't be any difference if they had a different name. The biggest difference would be the Melbourne teams fighting to host the AFLW side there and the players taking unders to stay in their home state to play for them

For those complaining about costs it's really not that hard for the AFL and clubs to recoup the costs with memberships and a tv deal. They don't need huge ratings, crowds or membership numbers to pay 30 girls about an average of 15k each.

The women want to be full time paid professionals but I think they're more than happy being part time semi-professional athletes who get to play in a professional competition. Men were happy doing that for decades in a wide range of sports. Certainly the money helps and it would be a long term goal to have all players if not full time then well paid for their part time efforts, but the initial goal is to make the competition professional in how it is run. That's the disappointing thing about Gil's comments today.
30 Girls , 15 K each ... i am sure they have before .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue is men's AFL competition is a marketing ploy, but it has 120 years of history and passion in it to cover the fact the AFL has **** all idea about what it is doing with its product.

AFLW doesn't and their inept screwups are laid bare.

We have a great sport administered by clowns and parasites.
Keep em coming , i like you already !

If AFLW fails then it will definitely be mens fault.

Just like how 2/3 divorces in Australia are initiated by women, which is also mens fault.

If you haven't set foot on a university campus in the last five years, perhaps it is best you don't.

All of the jokes about the 'future' are coming true quicker than most people seem ready or able to accept.

May we live in interesting times.

If AFLW fails then it will definitely be mens fault.

Just like how 2/3 divorces in Australia are initiated by women, which is also mens fault.

If you haven't set foot on a university campus in the last five years, perhaps it is best you don't.

All of the jokes about the 'future' are coming true quicker than most people seem ready or able to accept.

May we live in interesting times.
Also, their is a man drought. That's the fault of men as well.

Better for men to go their own way.

AFLW is s**t. I have a girlfriend, she thinks it's pointless and a waste of money. Most people that defend AFLW just love to play the sexist card.
If you think AFLW is s**t why are you in a thread about it?

Typical response of the left. Just so predictable.
I don't represent "the left". This is the mainboard, not SRP.

Just like how 2/3 divorces in Australia are initiated by women, which is also mens fault..
Do you need a hug?

If they played as curtain raisers to the AFL then the cost would be greatly reduced as supporters would in effect be getting two games of footy for the price of one therefore making memberships better value.

It’s an obvious solution to popularise it, but the AFL doesn’t generally have VFL curtain-raisers due to wear and tear on the grounds.

Nah, believe it or not some girls actually don't care about the AFLW. Commonsense really, I mean look at the average crowd numbers. I like how you reply is a dig at me, maturity at it's finest.
Yeah, quoting your girlfriend as an argument about the quality of women’s footy. Well done little boy.

Yeah, quoting your girlfriend as an argument about the quality of women’s footy. Well done little boy.
Tell me, how many people go to these games? How much per ticket? Commonsense that the AFL doesn't want to pour more money into it when most of Australia don't give a s**t. Don't worry 'little boy' (marvelous insult) I'm sure every single woman loves AFLW, my girlfriend is totally the only one who dislikes it.......totally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back