Society & Culture Melbourne comedy festival.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Ok so I haven't been in years and thought it would be good to start a thread where folks can recommend good comedians to see. You tubes welcome.

I'm a highbrow or extremely lowbrow comedy kind of guy. None of that safe stuff in between. No mainstream lame s**t like Pickering or Hughes.

Have at it big footy, make me laugh!

I'm a highbrow or extremely lowbrow comedy kind of guy. None of that safe stuff in between. No mainstream lame s**t like Pickering or Hughes.
Well he is pretty well known and mainstream but I do like David O'Doherty who has a heap of shows.
Ditto Mark Watson really.

Goddamn I'm sick of hearing comedians talk about Trump. It's even worse when the comedian is British or Australian. 90% of the stand up comedians on Netflix are obsessed with race and ethnicity and thats all their jokes revolve around. Be more funny you stupid self-important glorified circus clowns

Goddamn I'm sick of hearing comedians talk about Trump. It's even worse when the comedian is British or Australian. 90% of the stand up comedians on Netflix are obsessed with race and ethnicity and thats all their jokes revolve around. Be more funny you stupid self-important glorified circus clowns
This is why cringe when I hear Adam Hills or Jim Jeffries talk.

I have been to the Best of Edinburgh show a few times which is usually pretty good. Three different comedians and they are for the most, funny.

He's good for a cheap gag, it's like riffing on Adelaide.

Gervais' recent special is just brilliant. Right up there with early Chris Rock and Eddie Murphy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to see Kitty Flanagan and Urzilla Carlson over the next couple of weeks.

I saw Urzilla a few months back and it was a very funny show. Someone else brought tickets and I wasn’t to keen but she was very funny.

Good topic, comedy festival is great fun. I try to go to a few shows each year.

I’m seeing James Veitch this year. Saw his show last year and it was good fun.

My all time favourite though is David O Doherty.

Gervais' recent special is just brilliant. Right up there with early Chris Rock and Eddie Murphy.
Saw him do it live in London. Some of it is a bit OTT and whatever but he still has an ability to tap into the human condition and actually say something pivotal and sort of profound things. Unfortunately his TV has just become too much of that and it loses its point and just becomes melodramatic dross.

Got links to some free shows in coming days if anyone is interested for the below performers ...

Cal Wilson – Hindsight

Wednesday 4th of April 7.00pm
Victoria Hotel

Dave Thornton – So What Now?

Wednesday 4th April 7.00pm
Thursday 5th April 7.00pm
Max Watts

Steen Raskopoulos – Stay

Wednesday 4th April 8.20pm
Thursday 5th April 8.20pm
Playhouse Rehearsal Room, Arts Centre

Danielle Walker – Bush Rat

Thursday 5th April 8.30pm
Victoria Hotel

Let me know if you are interested

Last edited:
Haven't been since Lano & Woodley were still doing shows.

They're doing a number of shows this festival.

Off to see Sam Kissajukian, Best of Edinburgh Fringe and Daniel Sloss this week. Don't know any of them other than Sloss, should be a good chance to find someone new who's up and coming.

They're doing a number of shows this festival.

Off to see Sam Kissajukian, Best of Edinburgh Fringe and Daniel Sloss this week. Don't know any of them other than Sloss, should be a good chance to find someone new who's up and coming.

Seen both Sam K and Sloss.

Sam K was an absolute pisser. Helps if you’re young and loose but should be enjoyable regardless.

Sloss was great too, slightly more political and cynical but very funny.

I watched the Melbourne Comedy Festival special on the ABC the other night and these guys were the funniest imo.

lano_and_woodley_h_1117.d0172cf47fb9262005552e22ca1e8f9d.jpg

And before you accuse me of living in the 90s, I really liked some of the young up and coming comedians like Jimeoin and Kitty Flanagan.

Disappointed not to see Elliot Goblet but you can't have everything.

Going to see Kitty Flanagan and Urzilla Carlson over the next couple of weeks.
Sorry to hear that.

Every show Carlson has ever done has included her "I'm a lesbertarian" and "I got a real shock when I found out my wife was gay" lines.

She is as funny as Will Anderson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back