Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Now it looks like they're replacing the seats on the top deck of both the Warne and Olympic Stand. Q56 and Q57 as well as Q1 to Q4 look a bit different and those bays appear to be closed to spectators

They are cancer awareness placards, not new seats.
I remember Hawthorn advertising on Facebook about a cancer awareness charity as today's Match Day Partner but still it is strange to close 6 random seating bays even though the attendance was over 60k

Hey, I'm an AFL member with a GA ticket to the AFL reserve at the G. Does this mean I can just walk out of the AFL reserve into the regular GA section as well?

It's been a while, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

From memory, to get back into the AFL reserve I just show the Security guy at the walkway between the stands that I have an AFL reserve ticket right? and then he let's you through?

Hey, I'm an AFL member with a GA ticket to the AFL reserve at the G. Does this mean I can just walk out of the AFL reserve into the regular GA section as well?

It's been a while, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

From memory, to get back into the AFL reserve I just show the Security guy at the walkway between the stands that I have an AFL reserve ticket right? and then he let's you through?
Yes you can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are people's memories of the old Southern stand?
What were the facilities like?
Were there bars where you could sit down and have a drink?

I sat there between 1988-1990 as a kid and barely have any memory of it.
I just have a random memory of the North Melbourne change room with the Qantas sponsorship on the door.

Will be interesting over the boxing day test to see where fox cricket do the Big Break from, they used to use the level 4 disabled facilities but cant use that and I assume the commentary box is too small to fit it in...

I just have a random memory of the North Melbourne change room with the Qantas sponsorship on the door.
The old Southern Stand was built in the 1930s. No bars or places to sit. Just toilets and food kiosks behind. MCG was BYO beer until the late 1970s at least.

If you search for old southern stand MCG or words to that affect on Pinterest, there is a whole album of detailed photos that somebody named Brendan Octigan has uploaded from shortly before they demolished it.

Unsure if this is the right place to ask but had some questions about the mcgs history particularly the early 2000s.

From what I've seen the stand incl the 1926 members pavilion was torn down after the grand final in 2002, though watching back the 2004 grand final part of that old stand remains, just wondering how the renovation unfolded, was it done in parts?

Second question would be what was the small upper area on the (I think) ponsford stand was like/called.
Screenshot_20240411-125521.png

Unsure if this is the right place to ask but had some questions about the mcgs history particularly the early 2000s.

From what I've seen the stand incl the 1926 members pavilion was torn down after the grand final in 2002, though watching back the 2004 grand final part of that old stand remains, just wondering how the renovation unfolded, was it done in parts?

Second question would be what was the small upper area on the (I think) ponsford stand was like/called.
View attachment 1956034

The tear down began the day after the 2002 grand final and began with the old Ponsford stand, then MCC pavilion and then the Olympic stand. For the 2003 grand final they had completed the bottom deck of the new Ponsford stand (so people could sit there), but no cover above them. They also had a gap between the newly constructed Ponsford stand and the old olympic stand. For the 2004 grand final, they had the 3 levels of the new Ponsford stand open on the public side, then a gap and I can’t remember exactly, but a small patch of the olympic stand was still there at the Carlton Collingwood round 22 match in 2004, so assume it was there for the grand final.

That area in your picture was the top of the old olympic stand and those square things at the back are the stairs to take you down to the levels below. There were some roller doors at the front that I believe sold food and beverage for the busy matches only. That dead flat space between the square stair cases is where people would smoke back in the day.

And as a note in the dead of winter it was bloody freezing up there with no roof on the Olympic Stand. Remember going to the first rugby league SOO in the day and it was so cold with the wind blowing, I couldn’t close my eyes cause they were almost frozen open!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back