Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

toilets with holes in the wall
having to go up 2 flights of stairs and then walk another 50 meters to even find food.
2 cashiers at the food stalls.

Adelaide Oval - Line of 30, in, out, and back to seat in a quarter time break
MCG - Line of 10, in, out, and back to seat in a break and miss 3 minutes of the game.

I probably could tolerate it if it was up to the standards of a Wembley or an Adelaide Oval with tvs along the way so I can watch the game via that method between the food stalls and my seat. But nup.

All I've learnt is when I go back, I'm sticking to the Olympic stand.
I don't like behind the goal so **** Ponsford
And GSS is a piece of trash in the modern world.

You're upset because you had to walk some steps to get your food? Seriously, this is an issue?

Level two is the corporate/coterie level, so all that space is used by them. If you want a feed close by, don't buy a ticket on the corporate box levels.

I thought that was level 3?

nope

Terrace level is ground floor - M

You then have the two mini corp levels, N and N2

Then you have the top deck - Q

If you look at it on the TV, N and N2 are the two middle tiers which are very shallow below the top deck of the GSS.

nope

Terrace level is ground floor - M

You then have the two mini corp levels, N and N2

Then you have the top deck - Q

If you look at it on the TV, N and N2 are the two middle tiers which are very shallow below the top deck of the GSS.

N2 is level P right?

N is undercover Reserved seating.

P is open air unreserved seating at the front and corporate boxes at the back.

N2 is level P right?

N is undercover Reserved seating.

P is open air unreserved seating at the front and corporate boxes at the back.

yep

corp is on both levels. I have had reserved seats on N behind the PR goals since they were available for RFC supporters, and now sit in the 3121 coterie area on the same level. Its a combo on corp boxes and hospitality areas on that level.

IMO its the best viewing level on the ground, but all the corp/coterie eating areas mean if you don't have access to them you need to go up or down. Worth it though for the awesome seats.

IMO its the best viewing level on the ground, but all the corp/coterie eating areas mean if you don't have access to them you need to go up or down. Worth it though for the awesome seats.

Best thing about being an AFL member, you can access a couple of the food places on level 2 without having to go up or down

Adelaide
Sydney
West Coast
GWS
Geelong
North Melbourne
Western Bulldogs

When 7 of the 8 finals bound teams call their homes elsewhere, it's extremely unlikely games involving them will be at the MCG.

Adelaide
Sydney
West Coast
GWS
Geelong
North Melbourne
Western Bulldogs

When 7 of the 8 finals bound teams call their homes elsewhere, it's extremely unlikely games involving them will be at the MCG.
Yeah good point, even add the fact hawthorn are a third Tasmanian.

I'm not complaining I must say, it's good to see a variety of grounds get attention, just an observation.

Adelaide
Sydney
West Coast
GWS
Geelong
North Melbourne
Western Bulldogs

Can see finals games being moved from Kadinia Park and Etihad to the MCG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Failure in terms of the public but in financial terms it lowers their insurance a fair bit so is probably a big win for them.
It might so but the thing screams lawsuit. All it takes is one person to get crushed in a mad rush to get out and the fence proved to of contributed to crush and it's pay up. I would imagine that's a bit more than a bit more insurance.
Even then you might stop a terrorist getting close to the stadium but you give them a nice big crowd huddled outside the gates/checkpoints instead.

It might so but the thing screams lawsuit. All it takes is one person to get crushed in a mad rush to get out and the fence proved to of contributed to crush and it's pay up. I would imagine that's a bit more than a bit more insurance.
Even then you might stop a terrorist getting close to the stadium but you give them a nice big crowd huddled outside the gates/checkpoints instead.
They are huddled at the gates already, the fence doesnt change that. It just pushes it out a little further

They are huddled at the gates already, the fence doesnt change that. It just pushes it out a little further

This, there was big issues with the fencing not due to the fencing itself but due to the event it first occurred at had a much bigger crowd than anyone predicted. The one event i went to with the fencing i got through in about 15 seconds

This, there was big issues with the fencing not due to the fencing itself but due to the event it first occurred at had a much bigger crowd than anyone predicted. The one event i went to with the fencing i got through in about 15 seconds
I spoke to someone involved with ticketing at the G recently and they were telling me how hard it is to predict the crowd for a lot of events. Trying to get the right number of staff (I'm assuming the least possible number is desirable) to cater for numbers and to do it on a short notice is tough.

It's not even that. The vast majority of people start showing up 30-45 minutes before the start time.

I showed up at the soccer last Friday night right about 10 minutes before the start time. It took 10 minutes to get from the back to the front of gate 1. Part of the issue is stopping everyone 6-8 seconds to wand them. Probably a bit longer if you have to get stuff out of your pockets.

If I remember correctly the fence had 8-9 entrances and each had 4 lanes, 2 no bag lanes and 2 bag lanes or 1 no bag lane and 3 bag lanes. A couple had 8 lanes. It was in effect like an hourglass. Two massive areas each side of the fence. 1 small area to get in. They couldn't clear the backlog fast enough before the next train/tram/whatever load showed up.

Thought I would cross post this and maybe get some answers to my MCG questions:

I don't normally go to the MCG so have a few questions about the game:

- Does anyone know what the hotdogs are like at the 'G and how much they cost?
- Would it be ok if I brought a thermos into the 'G with some of my own frankfurters (to keep them warm). I would obviously would need to bring a couple of bread rolls to put the frankfurters in but I assume bread rolls are ok to go through security. Also I would need to bring some sort of container with some tomato sauce to put on the hot dogs when they are in the roll. What kind of container would be best to carry the sauce in to cause the least fuss when going through security?
- Where is the best place to sit at the 'G if you have general admission?

EDIT: Actually, I like to put some butter (or sometimes margarine) on the hot dog roll before I put in the hot dog and then some tomato sauce. Do you think bringing a bit of butter in will be ok?

- Would it be ok if I brought a thermos into the 'G with some of my own frankfurters (to keep them warm). I would obviously would need to bring a couple of bread rolls to put the frankfurters in but I assume bread rolls are ok to go through security. Also I would need to bring some sort of container with some tomato sauce to put on the hot dogs when they are in the roll. What kind of container would be best to carry the sauce in to cause the least fuss when going through security?

EDIT: Actually, I like to put some butter (or sometimes margarine) on the hot dog roll before I put in the hot dog and then some tomato sauce. Do you think bringing a bit of butter in will be ok?
On the bringing your own front from what I have seen there is no problem in bringing your own in this manner. And have seen people use the mini squeeze bottles with no problem from them. I think as long is it is from home and obviously not trying to be for commercial sale then you can bring your own of most things

That feeling after waiting 18 years for MCC membership. Looks at week 1 finals schedule and sees Hawks Cats. Woohoo!

Only to realize I have a planned trip to NZ Thursday that can't be rescheduled :'(:'(
#spewinmuch

That feeling after waiting 18 years for MCC membership. Looks at week 1 finals schedule and sees Hawks Cats. Woohoo!

Only to realize I have a planned trip to NZ Thursday that can't be rescheduled :'(:'(
#spewinmuch

I thought provisional membership didn't get finals access? Rapt if it does though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back