Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

They can do both. If the GSS was the size of the Ponsford/Olympic, capacity will be 105-110k and still have the space for better facilities.
Hardest part iv found is clearing people out, from around the ground afterwards. The walkways are too narrow around Gate 3 to Gate 7 for anything over 60k really. Obviously other facilities would be amazing also, but for a 30yo stand, the Southern goes alright.

the deal last year includes a capacity increase.
Which deal? the 20 year extension of GF's to 2057 and the $500m invested in Vic footy deal? There isnt much money in there to tear down the GSS, so I assume its to add to the existing concrete and steel in the stand.

Which deal? the 20 year extension of GF's to 2057 and the $500m invested in Vic footy deal? There isnt much money in there to tear down the GSS, so I assume its to add to the existing concrete and steel in the stand.

Theres no money in it for the tear down. It will be entirely funded by the MCC/AFL arrangements as they have been in the past. A new MCC user agreement is yet to be finalised, but capacity increase was mooted as part of the deal (to 105,000). So not guaranteed, but expected.

Theres no money in it for the tear down. It will be entirely funded by the MCC/AFL arrangements as they have been in the past. A new MCC user agreement is yet to be finalised, but capacity increase was mooted as part of the deal (to 105,000). So not guaranteed, but expected.

With the concrete and steel only being 27 years old, it would be hard to justify a tear down to increase capacity by 5,000, unless that 5,000 is for a Medallion Club type seating reserve, where they can charge in the $5k-$10k range seats. A new revenue stream of $50m per annum if they charge closer to $10k for a 12 month annual membership, would justify a $500m+ spend.

With the concrete and steel only being 27 years old, it would be hard to justify a tear down to increase capacity by 5,000, unless that 5,000 is for a Medallion Club type seating reserve, where they can charge in the $5k-$10k range seats. A new revenue stream of $50m per annum if they charge closer to $10k for a 12 month annual membership, would justify a $500m+ spend.

rebuild isnt expected before 2028, be 38 at that point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Confirmed the 'sus' cladding is in the G, lets watch the 'pass the parcel' over who is to blame, the venue manager wont be ....

Same prob at Geelong it seems!

the stuff is everywhere

its gunna cost billions - estimate in Vic last year was already at $1.2b for this state, and NSW was up to 1500 buildings with the stuff

New lighting going in apparently aswell as the sound system.
Friend of my brother is ground staff and says the lighting is more for light shows when teams run out during night games and reckons it’s for half time entertainment at the GF which will almost definitely be twilight in 2020 he says.

Friend of my brother is ground staff and says the lighting is more for light shows when teams run out during night games and reckons it’s for half time entertainment at the GF which will almost definitely be twilight in 2020 he says.
If it's like the AO system, the "fill lights" that fill spots that don't get even light from the towers due to the grandstand roofing, also double as "cool flashing lights" at goals/wickets as they're LED and can turn on/off so quickly.

So much for the Cricket Club as as ground manager at the Cricket Ground.
Victoria - Western Australia Sheffield Shield game abandoned as MCG pitch deemed unplayable

I've long held this mob is pseudo footy club that extracts plenty from footy & puts $zip back.

New lighting:

There's going to be a wierd bit while they change them over with only 4 light towers running.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back