hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Let's ask some Richmond fans who missed out on tickets to the grand final if they'd care
I'm just saying perhaps they could go on the wing? Or along the whole Southern stand, not as deep but the whole way, to bring the height up to the other half of the stadium. Both in "better" spots and evens out the roofline.

Coulda had 200,000 seats and still fill it on GF day if they marketed it right. Maybe even got a few more Crows supporters in! :D

Maybe play it at Stadium Australia
viewer-admires-the-millionseat-stadium-featured-in-the-work-vitruvian-picture-id81612241

Was looking for something else but found this on John Hollands site about construction of the Great Southern Stand. Though I'd put this in here for reference purposes.

http://www.johnholland.com.au/our-projects/mcg-great-southern-stand/
CLIENT:
Melbourne Cricket Club
VALUE:
$119 million
START:
April 1990
END:
March 1992

This $119 million project significantly increased the capacity of the iconic Melbourne Cricket Ground, providing the capacity for an additional 40,000 patrons.

The scope included the staged demolition of the old stand, and construction of the new stand and supporting facilities which included; food and beverage outlets, bars, corporate suites, underground car parking, commercial office space, TAB outlets and a police station.

The demolition of the old stand involved the removal of 5,000 panels of asbestos sheeting and 550 tonnes of roof structure, and was staged around the MCG's sporting calendar. The new stand is 324 metres long and 45 metres high – similar to the dimensions of a 70-storey building- and its core has seven levels which cantilever four tiers of seating. The upper level is sheltered by a steel cantilevered roof. Placed within the stand are 14,000 precast elements including 36 kilometres of hollow-core planks, 2,700 tonnes of reinforcing steel, 2,700 tonnes of structural steel, four kilometres of underground services and 20 kilometres of internal plumbing pipework. The large number of precast components enabled the whole project to be pieced together, thus allowing its rapid completion within 13 months, benefiting both the client and the general public.

Awards:
  • Winner 1991 Australian Federation of Construction Contractors - Victorian Safety Award
  • Winner 1992 Australian Federation of Construction Contractors - Construction Achievement Award
  • Winner 1992 Association of Consulting Engineers Australia - Engineering Excellence Award
http://www.johnholland.com.au/our-projects/mcg-great-southern-stand/

Sep 28, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
YNWA
Pretty embarrassing that the MCG security had no idea on their flag policy on GF day - not to mention a complete overreaction sending 6 security guards to (incorrectly) ask someone to stop waving a flag.

https://www.gaystarnews.com/article...rainbow-flag-football-grand-final/#gs.QDSq=n4

Several clubs have people waving indigenous flags. Imagine the uproar if the same occurred.

Dim witted idiots who couldn’t get a job doing anything else.

Hopefully the guy got a proper apology.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Midstrength only needs to go. Pain in the ass. Or apply the policy to the entire stadium (MCC, corporate suites)... which will pretty quickly have the same effect.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Midstrength only needs to go. Pain in the ass. Or apply the policy to the entire stadium (MCC, corporate suites)... which will pretty quickly have the same effect.
MCG's hands are tied by their liquor license. State Gov won't give 'em any better. Stupid thing is, Concerts at all Vic venues are allowed to have full strength liquor, and all sporting events are now allowed to have full strength Cider and RTD Spirits, only beer is mid strength.

Teagueeee15

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
MCG's hands are tied by their liquor license. State Gov won't give 'em any better. Stupid thing is, Concerts at all Vic venues are allowed to have full strength liquor, and all sporting events are now allowed to have full strength Cider and RTD Spirits, only beer is mid strength.

Yeah, I work in the government and Liquor Licences for public bars depend on a number of factors, including the number of police incidents (which is high for the MCG and means a really high premium or restrictions until it improves).

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
interesting innovation at the MCG

When I was lucky enough to go see South Africa v Australia in a Johannesburg T20 match, we sat in an area that had lawn chairs, astroturf underfoot, railings in front of every row with "spray sprinklers" attached that also let you put your feed up, little pools up the front ("little" as in they were deep, but probably only 3m diameter - I wouldn't have gone near them anyway), waiters, a s**t ton of room.

All for about 50 bucks Australian too - which included 2 drinks and food. (Although, compared to the pictures in those tweets, the food in Josi was complete s**t... and "free" drinks aren't such a big deal when you're only paying about $2.50 Australian for a double shot g&t!) I always thought something like that would work in Australia, although you'd probably pay 3 times the price. I always thought the MCG would be the place to try it too, cos they're not going to fill that ground for an ODI that isn't a World Cup final. So I was glad to see a little bit of it on the tv yesterday. I hope it was a huge success and we see more of it.

AstroboyUK

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2008
London / Delhi
AFL Club
Richmond
just a thought bubble really: but at certain generational points in its history, the MCG has expanded capacity partly to reflect demand but partly to anticipate and enable growth greater future attendance peaks. The last time was 1967 with the ponsford (and its been progressive reductions of 20% since then). Starting to think that with the perpetual lockouts when not at true capacity (due to MCC members exercising their complete right not to attend).. that perhaps we have reached a point where increasing the GA capacity at least 5-10,000 would be justified.

The case against is simple: the large infrastructure cost, and opportunity cost of membership and reserve seating gouging vs lower return GA.
The case for is that there is indirect, equal, arguably greater value in
a) ensuring MCG is the biggest ground Aust b) that average attendances can continue to increase for AFL c) ensuring the game remains in reach of the lower income mass public who cant regularly pay for memberships or reserved seats (who are essential for the long term multi-generational health of the game).

There is pretty strong evidence that its not just finals that are getting to public capacity - nearly every single 50k+ crowd is artificially low due to lack of sufficient GA. I know that GA vs Membership is a see-saw consideration - but the argument I would put forward is that the membership intake needs strong GA habits to manufacture those willing to convert to members in the future - ie that match going can remain spontaneous, therefore done whether at impulse or planned - but in both cases habit forming, group attendance forming ... from which membership becomes attractive. if you take away all spontaneous attendance (that we are getting somewhat closer to for at least 6 clubs (Essendon, Collingwood, Richmond, Geelong, Hawthorn, Carlton) that attract over 50k crowds 'regularly'.

To ensure Australian football doesn't turn into a tv sport and maintains its attendance culture into this century I put forward that a 10k increase in GA is in order and economically justifiable - albeit on longer term intangibles of constant PR for bigger crowds, ability to secure the bigger events through overwhelming larger capacity (ie instead of 95k MCG vs 82k S.A. .. 110k MCG vs 82SA) and the proper nurturing of the city's attendance culture.

A couple of queries with regards to the MCG

1) In the GSS - how do the rows numbering work. A is 1st row, B is 2nd, Z is 26th. Is AA therefore 27th row? Only asking as I know that Row Y is the drip line - so wanting to see a few rows behind that

2) What areas would be GA generally be for a low drawing game. Heading to Melb v Bulldogs - so only want GA - is it likely that i'd be able to waltz around and plonk myself in a better seat mid-game? Or is GA the same for all games?

3) How does one get tickets in the Ponsford stand? Is there a re-sale?

4) in the past I have been able to get AFL reserve tickets online via gumtree etc - this doesn't appear available anymore - any other options?

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
A couple of queries with regards to the MCG

1) In the GSS - how do the rows numbering work. A is 1st row, B is 2nd, Z is 26th. Is AA therefore 27th row? Only asking as I know that Row Y is the drip line - so wanting to see a few rows behind that

2) What areas would be GA generally be for a low drawing game. Heading to Melb v Bulldogs - so only want GA - is it likely that i'd be able to waltz around and plonk myself in a better seat mid-game? Or is GA the same for all games?

3) How does one get tickets in the Ponsford stand? Is there a re-sale?

4) in the past I have been able to get AFL reserve tickets online via gumtree etc - this doesn't appear available anymore - any other options?

1 - A is the front row, AA is around 25 rows up (no I and/or O rows from memory).

2 - Majority of Level Q and a fair chunk of Level M will be GA for that type of game. No GA on Level N.

3 - If it’s GA seats in the Ponsford Stand, just grab one at the gate on the day. Reserve seating will be through Ticketek.

4 - I’d dare say the AFL is cracking down on who can access the AFL Members Reserve. They recently took reciprocal access away from Essential Crows and Essential Power members so they may be removing the ads from Gum Tree themselves.

1 - A is the front row, AA is around 25 rows up (no I and/or O rows from memory).

2 - Majority of Level Q and a fair chunk of Level M will be GA for that type of game. No GA on Level N.

3 - If it’s GA seats in the Ponsford Stand, just grab one at the gate on the day. Reserve seating will be through Ticketek.

4 - I’d dare say the AFL is cracking down on who can access the AFL Members Reserve. They recently took reciprocal access away from Essential Crows and Essential Power members so they may be removing the ads from Gum Tree themselves.

Thanks for the detailed response.

I should have added - I am also going to the Coll v WC game - so whilst I am happy for GA for the other games, I want good seats for that game.

Ideally second tier on the wing. Happy to pay whatever but Ticketek say it is exhausted - so I'm looking for a re-sale option.

That's correct.

Is usually home team members reserved seats so unlikely to get any seats there. Maybe level P in the GSS otherwise the front rows on Q aren't too bad at all.

Download the MCG app for GA areas as they're updated.

I figured they'd be member reserve - which is why I was hoping for a re-sale

Great tip re: the App - will download it.

Back