Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

No probs, I'm a Melbourne reserved seat member and resale isn't an option for us, not sure about other clubs.

Fair enough - I guess the mcg realise they have enough capacity to not worry about it (and double up on sales)

In Perth there is - mainly because it sells out most weeks - so it’s both a revenue stream and a way to fill the stadium

Ongoing fallacy re sells out most weeks.

It wasn’t at subi - aside from some single seats and restricted viewing - it was sold out most weeks

I believe we’ve had a few sellout this year and even when there isn’t - it’s mainly singles/restricted or a handful of nosebleeds

And there’s plenty of people like me who’d rather watch from home than the nosebleeds

It wasn’t at subi - aside from some single seats and restricted viewing - it was sold out most weeks

I believe we’ve had a few sellout this year and even when there isn’t - it’s mainly singles/restricted or a handful of nosebleeds

And there’s plenty of people like me who’d rather watch from home than the nosebleeds
WCE v Rich is the current record at 57,616, so yet to reach capacity but no doubt all tickets were probably sold just people not showing.

yeah - it's never going to have every bum on seat.

Same happens in the GF
Why? Ok I get not 100% by why wont you get close to 59,000 - 98% type attendance for the derby at least?

Isn't there plenty of tickets on sale to public? Don't WA footy fans/members share tickets with family members and mates when they cant go to the footy? Aren't corporates turning up in there 3,000 or so seats including the 1,385 12 month stadium members?

Why? Ok I get not 100% by why wont you get close to 59,000 - 98% type attendance for the derby at least?

Isn't there plenty of tickets on sale to public? Don't WA footy fans/members share tickets with family members and mates when they cant go to the footy? Aren't corporates turning up in there 3,000 or so seats including the 1,385 12 month stadium members?

57,616 is 96% of capacity

That's better than those that attended the showdown for example (assuming that was sold out)

The reality is there is something like 50,000 ticketed members. For all manner of reasons - people don't turn up. Maybe it is a last minute issues, they get sick whatever.

But 96% is a pretty reasonable turn up rate

You have to remember for West Coast plenty of people buy 11 game memberships with the intent to only go to 7/8 games. Because historially without a membership - you couldn't get tickets (or certainly none worth buying)

That's better than those that attended the showdown for example (assuming that was sold out)

The reality is there is something like 50,000 ticketed members. For all manner of reasons - people don't turn up. Maybe it is a last minute issues, they get sick whatever.

You have to remember for West Coast plenty of people buy 11 game memberships with the intent to only go to 7/8 games. Because historially without a membership - you couldn't get tickets (or certainly none worth buying)
The first game at AO was a showdown. The official crowd was 50,397 but it was a bullshit figure because a few hundred excited people got to the ground about 4 or 5 hours before the game and got into the western or members stand, which was 90% unreserved seating in 2014, as the side gate to let people out after the game, was open and they went through that. Also they didn't count a whole of people from the corporate boxes. Their print outs weren't scanned and they were ushered through, so the true figure was probably about 52,000.

Having been to a showdown where there was more than 100% capacity about 100.5%, there was no way 3,000 more people could have fitted in. The latest showdown was 50,967 but many people on the Port board reckon the SMA are understating Port crowds and bumping up the crows, a bit of skimming, because of the way the stadium deal is done, the number of attendees per game is part of the calculation of what the SMA pays the 2 clubs. We reckon it was around 52,000. Once again no way another 2,500 could have fitted in.

But 2 games have been over 100% capacity, the Port home showdown in 2017 and the Geelong PF Adelaide hosted last year. The 2015 Post Phil Walsh murder, the crows home showdown was 100% - 70 people less than the 2014 max capacity figure of 53,585 - but a whole lot of seats were taken out and realigned post 2014 season because of poor sight lines and hand rails getting in the way and capacity was reduced by about 200 seats, but no official figure was released.

There have been 4 crowds over 52,200 which is 97.5%.

Because of GA standing tickets on the Hill and Port sell about 4,500 more GA members seats than Adelaide, and Port oversell these seats, just like MCC members and AFL members reserve at MCG, there could be genuine lockout games, more so for Port games than Adelaide.

I'm not having a go at anyone, just curious why the first derby, which was 6 or 7 games in, people didnt hand out their tickets to mates if they couldn't go, if there are issues with not counting everyone, like happened the first game back in 2014 at AO, or corporates not showing up.

Last edited:

Still some transport issues to sort out as well, not to mention the completion of the bridge, I have no doubt the WCE could fill this ground most weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of interest how many change rooms are there at the MCG? It seems like everytime they cross to the rooms post game for one of the Melbourne teams they have their own branding. I get that some is temporary signage but sometimes it looks like sponsors names are in paint.

Do they use the cricket rooms?

Out of interest how many change rooms are there at the MCG? It seems like everytime they cross to the rooms post game for one of the Melbourne teams they have their own branding. I get that some is temporary signage but sometimes it looks like sponsors names are in paint.

Pretty sure each vic club has a change room. Remember being told on a tour that every club has a room, although i somehow doubt interstate clubs do

I’ve done the tour and posted the pictures earlier in this thread or another thread on here from memory. There are two (only 2) almost identical change rooms underneath the MCC members section and these are used for both footy and cricket. The only difference is one is a mirror image of the other and in between is the media room where press conferences are held.

I haven’t been in the great southern stand since I did Auskick, but there are another two sets of changing rooms under there that are used by the umpires and by the auskickers these days. These were used by the AFL teams during the last renovation and after the 2010 grand final when the change rooms under the northern stand flooded.

I've seen on TV the AFL umpires in rooms with old VCA crests on the locker doors.

I've seen on TV the AFL umpires in rooms with old VCA crests on the locker doors.

Those lockers are kept there during the footy season and during the cricket season, you will see them in the northern stand change rooms that the AFL players use during the footy season. Specifically they are in the warm up area where you see the roaming Brian segment on TV.

So I assume the Eagles' logo will be on the blue 50m arc and Magpies' on the red - and sadly both on the outer wing again like last year.

Going to the MCG for the first time best place to get food at the stadium? What are the beer prices like Dont normally drink for a 3 hour game but close to 6 hours for the WWE will feel like a few beers.

Where are you sitting? Beers are around $9 in most of the public areas. Food, I generally don't eat at the footy but it's really nothing special and generally overpriced. The vans outside offer good variety, though. If you've got time, head to Swan St in Richmond before and have a feed at one of the Pubs or Restaurants.

I'm not having a go at anyone, just curious why the first derby, which was 6 or 7 games in, people didnt hand out their tickets to mates if they couldn't go, if there are issues with not counting everyone, like happened the first game back in 2014 at AO, or corporates not showing up.

Sorry to bump such an old post but my understanding is for the first part of the year the WA Government was holding seats in the nosebleeds for tourism packages, but they weren't getting sold. That's why against both Sydney in round 1 and Geelong in round 2 there was over 5,000 seats sitting empty, and there were basically 2 entire bays that were empty at one end of he ground. This would've still been happening for the first derby. Couple that with the fact that it was a Fremantle home game and there's your reason for there being 6,000 empty seats - West Coast have a much better turnout rate than Fremantle do.

Would like to give my review of the stadium and the staff. $9 drinks were correct, was not in the mcc area but bay next to it. The staff were very helpful in telling me how to get down so I could have a smoke ( at this stage all the escalators we're going up) BTW The Gabba needs elevators. Even though I was sitting in a Premium seat the view for WWE was s**t. However at the end went up to the top deck. If I was watching a game of AFL don't think ANYONE would complain about the view. It's an amazing stadium, and yes beers we're $9 can't remember the taker match. Lol you are lucky melbourne ( no poles in the way like the Gabba.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back