Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Apologies if this has already been covered in the past.

My boss has purchased me 2 MCC VISITOR tickets for Anzac Day this year, but he said that he isn't going to the game. Does anyone know if you need to have the Membership holder accompany you into MCC reserve? My seats are in the nosebleed section of Level 4, but i don't want to get there and not be let in.

Thanks for any advice if anyone has experienced this in the past.

My boss has purchased me 2 MCC VISITOR tickets for Anzac Day this year, but he said that he isn't going to the game. Does anyone know if you need to have the Membership holder accompany you into MCC reserve? My seats are in the nosebleed section of Level 4, but i don't want to get there and not be let in.

Yes, the rules state that the member must accompany their guests, but whether the MCC police it that strictly is another question. Being Anzac Day and a category A game, I would think they would be on the look out for this sort of stuff.

I’ve never seen or known someone refused entry because the member wasn’t with them, but I’ve tended to enter the ground when it’s busy and they only seem concerned with whether you have a collar on your shirt or not.

Thanks for the reply. Turns out he is probably going to go anyway but will line up to try and get himself into level 2 or 3. But still won't be with us!

Do MCC members get free entry?

No, we only get free entry for the football and cricket. Soccer, RL SOO, concerts all require paying for entry (albeit cheaper). For reference, entry to the SOO last year was $60, and I believe that Guns 'N' Roses was $200+.

I think technically he is supposed to, but it's not policed at all. Literally the only situation I can think where it would be a factor would be if you had to be removed from the stadium. :p

Were he to make a habit of not turning up after buying a guest pass that would almost certainly get the MCC's attention, but that would be his issue, not yours.

I bet we've all noticed that the font has changed on the scoreboards again, the number 8 is a bit hard to see from where I took the photo on Saturday though
20190323_162100.jpg

When they redevelop the southern stand, it would be good if it became like Perth stadium and put all the Corp boxes tired on the wing and have all outside seating at the punt road end

Then for grand final put all the participating clubs seating in that section for noise

When they redevelop the southern stand, it would be good if it became like Perth stadium and put all the Corp boxes tired on the wing and have all outside seating at the punt road end

Then for grand final put all the participating clubs seating in that section for noise

A lot of the external seating is tied to corp arrangements (ie dine in the Lindsey Hassett, sit outside)

Question for those who know the G well. I'm organising a trip for round 8 v the Hawks.

I have a foible and like to sit up high for perspective. I figure a H/A game in the graveyard slot is a chance to experience that at the G, a ground I love BTW.

I'm not particularly worried about segredation, I've been there for the 2017 P F surrounded by the Tiger army and last year for the SF.

Ticketek is saying level 4 is exhausted and is only offerring level 2. Are the upper levels on the wing usually closed or are they likely to open up closer to the game?

I can wait, the game won't sell out and if worst comes to worst we can sit with our cheersquad.

Question for those who know the G well. I'm organising a trip for round 8 v the Hawks.

I have a foible and like to sit up high for perspective. I figure a H/A game in the graveyard slot is a chance to experience that at the G, a ground I love BTW.

I'm not particularly worried about segredation, I've been there for the 2017 P F surrounded by the Tiger army and last year for the SF.

Ticketek is saying level 4 is exhausted and is only offerring level 2. Are the upper levels on the wing usually closed or are they likely to open up closer to the game?

I can wait, the game won't sell out and if worst comes to worst we can sit with our cheersquad.

Level 4 seating in the public areas except for quite a bit of the Olympic Stand are unreserved general admission seating while the wings are mostly taken up by the AFL members and the MCC. Level 2A in the Southern Stand is underrated (unless if it's raining) and sometimes is general admission seating. Around the away cheersquad area is usually walk up general admission seating as well

Level 4 seating in the public areas except for quite a bit of the Olympic Stand are unreserved general admission seating while the wings are mostly taken up by the AFL members and the MCC. Level 2A in the Southern Stand is underrated (unless if it's raining) and sometimes is general admission seating. Around the away cheersquad area is usually walk up general admission seating as well
Tks that helps. If it's the highest available. Dont mind paying for a reserved seat, but sometimes GA is better. If you do find yourself in a group of hoons you can move.

Was anyone close enough to the Punt Rd end last night, that saw what looked like electronic advertising that had been installed at bay P1/P2. Anyone know if it will be extended all the way along level 2a?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw that too, the MCC have said something in the last 12 months about a tech upgrade at the ground but they haven't said apart from LED sports lights what else would be upgraded, maybe just a prototype/trial piece for the said tech upgrade

They changed the scoreboard graphics as well. Now in team colours and team logos like Marvel
Believe it was in place for the QF too.
I saw that too, the MCC have said something in the last 12 months about a tech upgrade at the ground but they haven't said apart from LED sports lights what else would be upgraded, maybe just a prototype/trial piece for the said tech upgrade
If anyone is at the ground this Friday or Saturday, be interesting to see if it has been expanded

Was anyone close enough to the Punt Rd end last night, that saw what looked like electronic advertising that had been installed at bay P1/P2. Anyone know if it will be extended all the way along level 2a?
Another set have been installed P28. Both sets are displaying Report anti social behaviour and the number.

Another set have been installed P28. Both sets are displaying Report anti social behaviour and the number.
When AO added new LEDs on the front of the Western stand mid-season they had to keep the same ads on it the rest of the season due to the contractual obligations. Probably the same here - no sponsor has paid for it so no sponsor gets it.

When AO added new LEDs on the front of the Western stand mid-season they had to keep the same ads on it the rest of the season due to the contractual obligations. Probably the same here - no sponsor has paid for it so no sponsor gets it.
The P1 section was half ads. The brand is still there next to it.

P28 Im sure had nike branding but it only has the MCG number number.

Im sure between now and cricket season there will be more

Is the old coaches box in the GSS still there?

Didn't the MCC just borrow a few corporate boxes for the coaches while the Northern Stand was being built? Or are you talking about where the wooden decking is now in the AFL members? If it's the latter I believe it was the former "players pavillion" for cricket games

Didn't the MCC just borrow a few corporate boxes for the coaches while the Northern Stand was being built? Or are you talking about where the wooden decking is now in the AFL members? If it's the latter I believe it was the former "players pavillion" for cricket games
I haven't been in the AFL Members so I wouldn't know.

As far as I know, at least until 1993 both boxes were in the old Members Stand, somewhere along the line, one of the boxes was moved to the Southern Stand, and since the redevelopment they are both back on the northern side.

Is the old coaches box in the GSS still there?

They went once the new coaches boxes in the northern stand went up.

I don’t think corporate boxes were used, as the coaches boxes were located at the back of the bottom level. The one that doubled over at the third umpires box was behind what’s now the umpires race. I think the old third umpire lights are still there.

I haven't been in the AFL Members so I wouldn't know.

As far as I know, at least until 1993 both boxes were in the old Members Stand, somewhere along the line, one of the boxes was moved to the Southern Stand, and since the redevelopment they are both back on the northern side.

One got moved to the Great Southern Stand in 1998.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back