Mega Thread Melbourne Cup 2016 and all Cup day racing discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coolmore have placed their horses into quarantine.
But havent announced who they are or even guaranteed the ones in there will travel

Betfair gives us an idea though

seth

I see Hartnell now equal fave on the fair - laughable - won't get 3200 down a well.

Its strange as the UK guys all see him as a 3200m horse, not the horse that pulled his head off in a Syd cup.
Surely he goes to C Cup now, obviously ground dependent.

seth

Its strange as the UK guys all see him as a 3200m horse, not the horse that pulled his head off in a Syd cup.
Surely he goes to C Cup now, obviously ground dependent.

seth

They obviously have forgotten the Queens Vase when he almost stopped to a walk in the last 400m after looking like he'd win as far as yesterday entering the straight.

His brilliance at 1600-2000 hardly reminds you of a 3200m galloper

I agree with you, couldnt have him last year & will be silly odds if he goes there.
C Cup with a little give & 55kg is his option, taking the **** if he runs in Metrop.

If they miss Caulfield they must rate Scottish

seth

Second acceptances for the CC just released and may provide MC clues. OOSG, Sir Isaac Newton and Highland Reel still in the CC. No Idaho, Housesofparliament, Bondi Beach or Sword Fighter.

Second acceptances for the CC just released and may provide MC clues. OOSG, Sir Isaac Newton and Highland Reel still in the CC. No Idaho, Housesofparliament, Bondi Beach or Sword Fighter.

Bondi was never going CC, reckon hes still coming for Flem.
Sir I N is interesting, certainly gets a run in CC, not sure hes suited but clearly they do.
OOSG is a safety nom, money means nothing to Lloyd

seth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't oosg already out of the Melbourne cup? Or can they do a late nomination?
Still listed in acceptances for CC though.

I don't think they ever withdrew the nom for the Melbourne Cup. Lloyd just went on radio and said he wasn't coming. He's now saying he's a 5% chance to come. But he's in quarantine. Lloyd says that's just as a precaution in case they decide against the Arc.

Futures betting around Lloyd's horses is always risky because actions sometimes may not correlate with words.

This thing with the Williams and O'Brien horses has become a farce.

According to reports, Williams announced that Order of St George would not be running. Acting on that, various bookies removed him from the market.

Williams should have been asked to withdraw the horse in accordance with the following rule of racing:

AR.63. The nominator of a horse for a Group or Listed Race which is to be run within the next 30 days who decides that his horse will not start in such race shall immediately after that decision is made withdraw the horse from the race concerned.

At that point presumably Wiiliams would have declined to withdraw and clarified his intentions by indicating that doubt remained and no decision had been made.

To compound matters, Coolmore dictated to RV that they were to keep a secret of which Coolmore horses had gone into quarantine. And RV, so eager for O'Brien's participation, agreed.

Racing administrators are zealous in policing the disclosure of information about the condition of horses, and rightly so, but seemingly are happy to withhold highly relevant information about travel plans of Cup runners. Double standards.

Now OOSG may not come after all, but it doesn't change the fact that these 2 issues have been very poorly handled by RV.

Not suggesting we should feel sympathy for the bookies. Just suggesting that the handling by RV of the disclosure of information regarding the Melbourne Cup favourite has been amateurish. And that has affected punters.

Not suggesting we should feel sympathy for the bookies. Just suggesting that the handling by RV of the disclosure of information regarding the Melbourne Cup favourite has been amateurish. And that has affected punters.

Any remotely sane punter backing it would know there is doubt about it coming - if you are just backing it blind because its fave you deserve to lose

Sky Hunter bolted up overnight & looks likely to be part of Godolphin team
well down OOE but with usual attrition probably gets very close

seth

Sky Hunter bolted up overnight & looks likely to be part of Godolphin team
well down OOE but with usual attrition probably gets very close

seth

2000m 5 horse listed event of zero depth last night.

I still reckon he is a better horse at 2000-2200 and have doubt's he will get the trip. Also runs about twice a year. Feels like he would need about a billion stars to align to win a Melbourne Cup. I'd actually prefer him in a Mackinnon.

The weight is the main attraction - gets weight from the likes Heartbreak City who I'd expect him to towel up at set weights.

Certainly some value in the Betfair markets if you can find the right horse with the 3 faves all with huge question marks for mine:

Hartnell - huge doubts at the trip and might not even go here
Big Orange - dream run last year and could only manage 5th - can't see how he runs better up 0.5kg - also has 56 which you have to be really good to win with
Bondi Beach - plain last year (I didn't like him then) and on exposed evidence is going worse this year also up to 55kg which is a good horses weight - would be twice the price if not in the Lloyd/Aiden camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back