Racing Melbourne Cup 2017

Your choice for the cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I welcome the internationals, I don’t want a Boom Time or Single Gaze winning the Cup. I hope we’ll see some quality locally bred stayers emerging in the next few years with a number of staying-type sires at stud here and in NZ (Tavistock, Reliable Man, Adelaide, Americain, Dundeel, Animal Kingdom, American Pharaoh).

I welcome the internationals, I don’t want a Boom Time or Single Gaze winning the Cup. I hope we’ll see some quality locally bred stayers emerging in the next few years with a number of staying-type sires at stud here and in NZ (Tavistock, Reliable Man, Adelaide, Americain, Dundeel, Animal Kingdom, American Pharaoh).

o_O

Eh, the derby used to be a good race for sires, now its Taboo, pretty sure lots of good horses are purposely not set for the race so that they don't ruin their stud value. Instead they introduced the Coolmore and apparently Merchant Navy is now worth 20 million dollars cos he won it. Its quite insane really. How can a horse be worth 15 million more cos he stuck his nose out at the right time really has me flummoxed. I am positive there are lots of stallions way better than some of the top priced ones out there, eg Not a Single Doubt, I am Invincible, you just need to take a risk on young sires

Eh, the derby used to be a good race for sires, now its Taboo, pretty sure lots of good horses are purposely not set for the race so that they don't ruin their stud value. Instead they introduced the Coolmore and apparently Merchant Navy is now worth 20 million dollars cos he won it. Its quite insane really. How can a horse be worth 15 million more cos he stuck his nose out at the right time really has me flummoxed. I am positive there are lots of stallions way better than some of the top priced ones out there, eg Not a Single Doubt, I am Invincible, you just need to take a risk on young sires
Reliable Man will be a gun sire IMO, is at a budget price now of like $17k or so.

I actually think we're on the right idea with breeding (stamina with acceleration) but we just need MORE people to buy into these types. I'd love to own a Sully vs some 2yo midfield Slipper squib, reckon you're a way better chance of having fun.

The Ascot Vale has always being a 'Stallion makers' race. The only difference now is its Group 1.

I do find it funny how a colts value is always rounded off nicely after it wins a G1

Iam invincible and Not a Single doubt were young sires which people took a punt on and that is why they are priced the way they are, bit like Encosta de Lago before them. I would hate to have paid 330k for Redoutes Juice at the peak of his popularity!!

Back