Racing Melbourne Cup 2017

Your choice for the cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

In a rare before the event update, the Lonsdale Cup (2 miles) at York tonight is looking pretty key with one of the current faves Thomas Hobson going around at 3/1. Will be interesting to see how he races back in distance from the marathon trips he competed in at Royal Ascot, although he was more the competitive at 2400m when trained as a flat horse by John Gosden (won his last two before heading jumping).

St Michel who is also reasonably prominent in Cup betting also goes having been beaten only a neck by Red Cardinal in the US last start (Wall Of Fire a further 6 lengths back that day).

Max Dynamite won over 3400m at Killarney overnight. It's his first win for a couple of years but he's had a few injuries. He started odds on, and he was favourite in the Galway Hurdle before that so the Mullins yard must feel he's going ok.

He's nominated for the Cup.

It's against the rules to post stale prices.

Where in the rules thread is this mentioned?

So no one can post a future bet here if the price is gone?
What if it gets back out to that price or better
Is that allowed?

seth

Where in the rules thread is this mentioned?

So no one can post a future bet here if the price is gone?
What if it gets back out to that price or better
Is that allowed?

seth

Yup - go for it :thumbsu:

What value does it add posting bets put on at prices that are no longer available? Adds legitimately zero to the discussion.

Max Dynamite won over 3400m at Killarney overnight. It's his first win for a couple of years but he's had a few injuries. He started odds on, and he was favourite in the Galway Hurdle before that so the Mullins yard must feel he's going ok.

Nominations aren't out until next week

Nominations aren't out until next week

I think you'll find he's among them. Patrick Mullins, the jockey, said this post race:

"I'd imagine he'll stay on the Flat as he's not a natural hurdler. He could go back hurdling later but he's in the Irish Leger and the Melbourne Cup so we'll see what Willie decides."

I think you'll find he's among them. Patrick Mullins, the jockey, said this post race:

"I'd imagine he'll stay on the Flat as he's not a natural hurdler. He could go back hurdling later but he's in the Irish Leger and the Melbourne Cup so we'll see what Willie decides."

Betfair pricing would suggest that will be the case. :thumbsu:

The fact it's been $300 to $40 Betfair is relevant imho.
That's info I'd like to know on any pre post market.

Tiberian runs Sunday in France then goes into quarantine.

seth

In a rare before the event update, the Lonsdale Cup (2 miles) at York tonight is looking pretty key with one of the current faves Thomas Hobson going around at 3/1. Will be interesting to see how he races back in distance from the marathon trips he competed in at Royal Ascot, although he was more the competitive at 2400m when trained as a flat horse by John Gosden (won his last two before heading jumping).

St Michel who is also reasonably prominent in Cup betting also goes having been beaten only a neck by Red Cardinal in the US last start (Wall Of Fire a further 6 lengths back that day).

Wouldn't be surprised if Dal Harraild came for the Cup either, if he runs well in this.

seth

I'd say its pretty irrelevant when the discussion started with a guy posting a tweet saying sports had taken a bet of 5k at $26. When that happens who cares if he was $300 a few days earlier.

I agree its some relevance if you took the $300 and spruik up the horses chances without declaring to anybody your position.

seth

His form is stacking up nicely. He has beaten Talismanic twice, giving him weight last time. Talismanic beat Marmelo comfortably in the G2 Prix Maurice De Nieuil. As noted above, Marmelo won the Kergolay.

Plenty would need to go right for old Max to win the cup. He's have what 3 starts before heading to Q after over a year off?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say its pretty irrelevant when the discussion started with a guy posting a tweet saying sports had taken a bet of 5k at $26. When that happens who cares if he was $300 a few days earlier.

I'd care if Id taken the $26.

seth

His form is stacking up nicely. He has beaten Talismanic twice, giving him weight last time. Talismanic beat Marmelo comfortably in the G2 Prix Maurice De Nieuil. As noted above, Marmelo won the Kergolay.

Yeh it's hard to pot Aust Bloodstocks record with the horses they buy.
Even their longshots run well,French form looking ok this season.

seth

Will be interesting what weight he gets. I reckon the French form is not much chop at the moment - especially the older brigade and his only race in England he was absolutely stuffed in the Gold Cup.

If he can reproduce that second to Vazirabad a couple of years ago that would probably be good enough.

Yeh it's hard to pot Aust Bloodstocks record with the horses they buy.
Even their longshots run well,French form looking ok this season.

seth

Completely disagree :thumbsu:

Plenty would need to go right for old Max to win the cup. He's have what 3 starts before heading to Q after over a year off?

I agree. It was an easy win in weak company.

Will be interesting to see if they go to the Irish St Leger to confirm where he's at. As far as I can tell, they could do that and still come for the Cup - Wicklow Brave did that last year.

Looking forward to seeing how St Michel goes around tonight, Leigh J seems to have a pretty high opinion of it. Hasn't budged much in the Betfair market.

Looking forward to seeing how St Michel goes around tonight, Leigh J seems to have a pretty high opinion of it. Hasn't budged much in the Betfair market.

Yep his US run was strong.
Just don't post the price you took if he firms after tonight ok?

seth

Yep his US run was strong.
Just don't post the price you took if he firms after tonight ok?

seth

Settle - no one posts the antepost prices they take that end up miles out of the money.

Back