Racing Melbourne Cup 2018 and all Cup Day discussion.(Posting of bets after the race will be carded)

The winner is.....

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought it may have been criminal unders as well, but these are corporate bookies we're talking about. Just loved it's St. Leger performance on Anzac Day, and you know how you get an affinity for a horse?

And the St Leger has been a great guide to the Melbourne Cup over the last 50 years hasn't it.

I thought it may have been criminal unders as well, but these are corporate bookies we're talking about. Just loved it's St. Leger performance on Anzac Day, and you know how you get an affinity for a horse?

Yeah, I read about a bloke in Bendigo that had an affinity with a horse. He was found at the back of it standing on a milk crate. He's in a place where he can do no more harm now.

If there is one trainer I'd back to have a horse cherry ripe on Cup day it is Gai

ExcitableRadiantDodo.gif

They have fair dinkum left a zero off there
Hope that's not the case this year got Hush Writer at 81's

Not sure what Pounamu has done to the Sportsbet traders but $501 is nonsense.

Yes, he was a maiden when he left NSW. But he was placed in the Gloaming and Spring Stakes before losing form. Went to another level in WA with, arguably, WA’s best trainer of stayers, Alan Matthews. Bred to get 2 miles but never tested at it. Huge run in the Perth Cup giving the field weight. Excellent WFA form in WA. Much better form in WA than the likes of Boom Time. Rated 109 which gives him a decent show of making the field. Fully qualified with the second placing in the Perth Cup

I’m not suggesting he’s a strong chance but geez $501 for a horse that’s 50/50 to make the field, has WFA turn of foot and is being set for the race...

Not sure what Pounamu has done to the Sportsbet traders but $501 is nonsense.

Yes, he was a maiden when he left NSW. But he was placed in the Gloaming and Spring Stakes before losing form. Went to another level in WA with, arguably, WA’s best trainer of stayers, Alan Matthews. Bred to get 2 miles but never tested at it. Huge run in the Perth Cup giving the field weight. Excellent WFA form in WA. Much better form in WA than the likes of Boom Time. Rated 109 which gives him a decent show of making the field. Fully qualified with the second placing in the Perth Cup

I’m not suggesting he’s a strong chance but geez $501 for a horse that’s 50/50 to make the field, has WFA turn of foot and is being set for the race...
$751 with a bet boost.

big question marks if he will ever get back to spring '17 form. 7yo gelding. didn't come back in winter/belmont. belmont may be the factor there as it looks as if he's never even won there. has to travel to vic as well. johannes vermeer got 54.5kg for 108 rating last year. that puts his weight at 55kg if his WA rating holds which it normally doesn't when going over the border, but it should. if he does get back to that form, his PB of 90.0 on my scale is a melbourne cup weight adjusted place chance. ( apparently i also overrated his KT according to this board)

Right price. Perth Cup form hasn’t been relevant for years. Nowhere near good enough.

Might have a WFA turn of foot in Perth but would be flogged our East.

I guess you take the odds and lay off at 250/1 if he makes the field.

Not too fussed about The Pou there. If Alan Matthews is worried, then I’m worried. And Alan said before the race he’s been pouring slow work into The Pou and he expected that he would find this lot too slick on the day. Melbourne Cups aren’t won in September fellas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Duretto now part-owned by Ryan and Bamford so it looks a safe bet that he’s coming. Based on rating it looks likely he’ll make the field.

His form’s solid, but nothing in particular to recommend him. I think he could easily start $60 on the day so no need to pile in now.

Dal Harraild seemingly now trained by Ciaran Maher so presumably he’s coming. Nice price on Betfair if you like him. Based on rating I’d say he’s got work to do. I think he’s been disappointing, no chance.

Not too fussed about The Pou there. If Alan Matthews is worried, then I’m worried. And Alan said before the race he’s been pouring slow work into The Pou and he expected that he would find this lot too slick on the day. Melbourne Cups aren’t won in September fellas

They also aren't won by horses like this.

Unless Bart comes back from the dead to take over the prep its 5000/1

Best Solution is on the way. $34 in early markets.
Bin Suroor says he's only got 3 good horses in his stable. That, Thunder Snow and Benbatl.
Golodphin look to have a strong competing brigade this year with Hamada and Cross Counter as well. Avilius is at $34 too.

Lloyd going for 3 in a row, but his big guns are out and haven't seen much that looks likely that's been racing locally.

Any high profile imports for him?

Best Solution is on the way. $34 in early markets.
Bin Suroor says he's only got 3 good horses in his stable. That, Thunder Snow and Benbatl.
Golodphin look to have a strong competing brigade this year with Hamada and Cross Counter as well. Avilius is at $34 too.

Won the other night but hard to line up the Best Solution form.

Hamada and Cross Counter ticks.

Avilius was $95 on the fair last time checked, bout right odds for mine. Caulfield cup.

Amazed that Torcedor is third line of betting, should be 10 times the price.

Garter nomd for Dato, couple recent cup winners coming through that generates some interest in it for me.

Count octave, Tosen Basil, Marmelo, Hamada, cross counter my main hopes at the moment, lesser extent Duretto.

Won the other night but hard to line up the Best Solution form.

Hamada and Cross Counter ticks.

Avilius was $95 on the fair last time checked, bout right odds for mine. Caulfield cup.

Amazed that Torcedor is third line of betting, should be 10 times the price.

Garter nomd for Dato, couple recent cup winners coming through that generates some interest in it for me.

Count octave, Tosen Basil, Marmelo, Hamada, cross counter my main hopes at the moment, lesser extent Duretto.
Marmelo a bigger hope than Torcedor? Hmm I’d be taking Torcedor every day of the week and twice on Sunday’s

Marmelo a bigger hope than Torcedor? Hmm I’d be taking Torcedor every day of the week and twice on Sunday’s

Don't give either much of a shot. At least Torcedor is new blood on the scene though. Marmelo was going much better last year and didn't get close in either Cup - can't see how he is going to improve on that.

The problem with Torcedor is that he is fully exposed through good European formlines and as a result will get far too much weight. That and he is an on paced grinder that doesn't have much of a turn of foot suggests he is not the right horse to be bringing for mine.

Don't give either much of a shot. At least Torcedor is new blood on the scene though. Marmelo was going much better last year and didn't get close in either Cup - can't see how he is going to improve on that.

The problem with Torcedor is that he is fully exposed through good European formlines and as a result will get far too much weight. That and he is an on paced grinder that doesn't have much of a turn of foot suggests he is not the right horse to be bringing for mine.
Who might be your very early pick mr Paris
Mine would be nakeeta if it,s comimg
After that youngster

Back