Game Day Melbourne Cup 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

People who can't see the difference between animals being killed for food and animals being killed publicly in the name of entertainment make me laugh.
It's the argument that one wears a merino jumper, therefore shipping hundreds of thousands of live animals in inhumane conditions to countries with history of animal malpractice is fine. Your water bottle was made from PET therefore generating 100% of electricity from coal fired power plants is ok.

Veganism / Animal Rights and all such issues should not be viewed so black and white- you don't have to go all Woodstock 69 and live out in the woods with FishingRick to contribute. It is virtually impossible to live a life which doesn't take advantage of someone somewhere; every consumer item would have constituents sourced through "questionable" means, whether it's a history of vivisection, 3rd world labour or fossil fuel products (both materials and transport). But that doesn't mean throwing in the towel and going all in is ok. For example, you care about reducing carbon footprint / using animals for meat but don't want to go all the way? Cool, replace a few red meat meals a week with chicken/fish, dial down the 400g steaks and go a lunch or 2 swapping the burger for mushroom. You've probably halved your carbon footprint right there; you're still wearing a leather belt but you've got things trending in the right direction.

Articles like these are irresponsible as they promote the idea that if you do anything that could be construed as using animals for your own gain then you shouldn't care about the more blatant examples of animal cruelty.

"But she wasn’t alone. Across town Susan was madly tweeting “stop the cruelty”. A few weeks earlier she’d had a tramp stamp tattooed on her back using ink that contained the charred bones of dead animals."​

Using this reasoning if you've ever been in a fight, then you shouldn't criticise Angry Anderson's son's bestie for beating him to a pulp because you're a hypocrite. What a dumb and irresponsible attitude.

I'm personally on the fence with horse racing; the majority involved with the sport seem to have huge love and respect for the horse, however of course there'll be a minority in it for the money/fame who'd churn out hundreds of horses a year and turf the rest for chum. If the standards and duty of care are in place to protect the animal then there's probably worse things going out there. Like many of these topics we like to pretend our stance is morally superior and those on the other side of the fence are bat s**t crazy, when in reality there's a lot of grey.

I believe the RSPCA put a stop to this, but it's not all that long ago that multi coloured 1 and 2 day old chickens were being sold in cardboard boxes at the Adelaide show, and I assume other shows around the country.
I suspect the percentage that made it to adulthood was probably quite low, and many would have either died of the cold, or become the victims of dogs, cats, or even rats.

The life of a racehorse sounds sensational in comparison to that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back