Racing Melbourne Cup 2020. * All race day discussion and Tips in here *(no aftertiming)

Who wins the cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Fair penalty. Sad they don't hand out penalties to placings. I would've personally gave Le Don De Vie 0.5kgs as those two were very much superior to all others.

Clear run ?
Had plenty of room

Nah it gets squeezed by Finche and Chapada and then has to be pulled off there heels and get around outside Chapada

1603337646466.png
1603337684240.png

Can someone please explain to me how the winner of the Geelong Cup gets a 1kg penalty whilst the winner of the Caulfield Cup only gets a 0.5kg penalty.

Makes sense to me 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Can someone please explain to me how the winner of the Geelong Cup gets a 1kg penalty whilst the winner of the Caulfield Cup only gets a 0.5kg penalty.

Makes sense to me 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
VE had higher weight already and 0.5kg still puts her in a finish with AVD and TCO. 1kg puts those two far ahead of her. VE already had Gp1s to her name so was already graded/weighted as a Gp1 class winning horse so another Gp1 doesnt do much to change that.
Steel Prince was graded/weighted as a Listed winner, first Gp win changes his grade significantly. Puts him on par with KOL whom he beat.

Makes sense to me 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

Because the Geelong Cup winner needed that to get into the field. In reality I doubt it deserved a penalty at all.

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood

Makes sense to me 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
Verry Elleegant managed to only put 0.2 lengths on the top weight who was chasing her down. 0.5kgs essentially negates that margin. Verry Elleegant is now carrying the same amount of weight as Makybe Diva when she won her 2nd Melbourne cup.

Steel Prince on the other hand beat many horses weighted the same or higher than him with only Le DOn De Vie coming close. He beatKing of Leogrance by 2L when he has 1kg more for the cup so the 1kg penalty somewhat negates this. I know placings can't get penalised but I would've gave Le Don De Vie a 0.5kg penalty as well.

BuddysBiggestFan

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2008
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back