Racing Melbourne Cup 2020. * All race day discussion and Tips in here *(no aftertiming)

Who wins the cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

3rd Grade Maggy

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2004
In the Finals ...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Southampton
Got any suggestions?
I don't. I'm just a random bloke who loves his footy, cricket, beers and having a punt. But even last year I was getting the "they saved the horse in that movie with the dude from spiderman in it, why did they have to put this one down" from once a year punters. It's a harm minimisation thing for me. I have zero answers but there needs to be a conversation in the industry, otherwise you can see an outside solution being foisted upon it.

Jun 4, 2007
somewhere
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Wut? The fact he went so quick and still belted half the field suggest the best horse won the race
I see it the other way the other jocks got caught napping, they've become accustomed to slow shitty staying races and before they realised it they were too far. Either way was great to see a staying race in Australia finally have a genuine tempo.

I don't. I'm just a random bloke who loves his footy, cricket, beers and having a punt. But even last year I was getting the "they saved the horse in that movie with the dude from spiderman in it, why did they have to put this one down" from once a year punters. It's a harm minimisation thing for me. I have zero answers but there needs to be a conversation in the industry, otherwise you can see an outside solution being foisted upon it.

It was a racing incident - can't see how you are going to stop it short of not running the race.

I see it the other way the other jocks got caught napping, they've become accustomed to slow shitty staying races and before they realised it they were too far. Either way was great to see a staying race in Australia finally have a genuine tempo.

Nah the faster they go the more the slowies can't keep up. That's why so many that finished close last year got beat miles today. Faster pace pretty much means the best horse always wins. That's why pacemakers are so valuable to the great game.

Best trainer won but meh lets not split hairs, the horse did a damn fine job. :)

Last year they just got the horse, 12 months in their care and look at the turnaround.
If the best trainer won why didn't Master of Reality salute?

If the best trainer won why didn't Master of Reality salute?

It was a slowmaker to make all the other horses stick near it while Twilight Payment got off the leash.

Just about did last year. I cannot explain the poor run today other then to say horses are not machines.

It went s**t this year because they ran a decent pace and he was found out for the fraud he is - was basically beaten the same distance that TP beaten him twice in Ireland this season.

Just about did last year. I cannot explain the poor run today other then to say horses are not machines.
Could have something to do with Twilight Payment donkey licking him twice recently, just a thought anyway....

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
In hindsight wish I had a closer look at Twilight Payment's form, but I just couldn't shake last years run from my mind. As has been touched on many times I think it's pretty rare for a horse that didn't win on its first go to come back and win it. This year seemed like the year for something strange to happen though. You had AVD who had to carry a heap of weight but was a genuine gun European, you had Very Ellegant trying to be the first mare since Makybe, Prince of Arran and Surprise Baby who people liked a lot based off previous Cup runs and then there were Sir Dragonet and Russian Camelot and I have seen stuff said about Camelot bred horses not staying. That really only left Tiger Moth out of the well liked ones and he obviously ran really well but it was only his fifth start.

Veer Right

Premium Platinum
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
It went sh*t this year because they ran a decent pace and he was found out for the fraud he is - was basically beaten the same distance that TP beaten him twice in Ireland this season.

If it makes you feel better trash talking a good stayer then okay!

You have potted Twilight Payment as not being good enough and wouldn't run top 10 when many here thought the opposite but i guess now is not the time to talk about that one hey!

You win some, you lose some. Last year he was good enough no matter how you spin it and this year he wasn't. He's ran enough races around the best stayers in Europe for me to know he's a bit better then a "fraud" as you put it.

cup is over for another year.
time to get over who’s wrong and right and get back to reality

thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back