Racing Melbourne Cup Day 2019 (after the results posting of bets will get a ban)

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobythepom

Team Captain
Oct 23, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
First 17 home covered by 5 lengths. One of those years where many of the form debates were rendered irrelevant. Jockeyship, luck in running and ability to perform in a race of that tempo came to the fore. Now that really was a race that you could run again and get a different result many times over.

Well done to those that kept the faith with the winner - good result for the race.
See you next year.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Consistent theme among the jockeys...

CRAIG WILLIAMS (Vow And Declare) 1st - “It was a privilege to ride him today. Look at him, he knows he’s won. I’m so grateful to be given the opportunity. He just gave me a beautiful ride. (Trainer) Danny O’Brien and the owners gave me no instructions. He just said ‘trust the horse’.”

MICHAEL WALKER (Prince Of Arran) 2nd - “Charlie and the team have done a great job. I love the horse and I just wanted to win it, you know. I feel like I’ve let him down.”

WAYNE LORDAN (Il Paradiso) 3rd - He could’ve done with the tempo a bit quicker. We didn’t get an ideal position but he ran well.”

FRANKIE DETTORI (Master Of Reality) 4th - “I want to cry.”

JORDAN CHILDS (Surprise Baby) 5th - “He ran super. I just had nothing to take me into the race from the 800 (metres) but he’ll be back bigger and better next year.”

DAMIAN LANE (Mer De Glace) 6th - “He was massive. He wasn’t entitled to finish off like he did after the slow tempo. Finished well late.”

KERRIN MCEVOY (Finche) 7th - “He ran great. The pace wasn’t that strong. Would’ve liked them to go a bit quicker. But we presented at the top of the lane and I thought he was a real chance there at the 300 (metres). He then just levelled out the last little bit. A brave run.”

WILLIAM BUICK (Cross Counter) 8th - “He ran a huge race ... just slowly away.”

BRETT PREBBLE (Steel Prince) 9th - “He ran super but they didn’t go a gallop. He was in a nice position but he wouldn’t switch the chewy off and it just took its toll late.”

RYAN MOORE (Magic Wand) 10th - “She had no luck. Got an early bump so we were back further than we wanted and they went too slow up front.”

HUGH BOWMAN (Twilight Payment) 11th - “He had a really smooth run in transit. He just didn’t have the sprint required to win a Melbourne Cup.”

JAMES WINKS (Sound) 12th - Tempo was ridiculous so he’s run really well.”

JOAO MOREIRA (Constantinople) 13th - “Disappointing, yes. He was going to have a super run.”

BEN MELHAM (Mirage Dancer) 14th - “He ran well. Probably didn’t quite see out the last part of the race.”

SEAMIE HEFFERNAN (Hunting Horn) 15th - “I needed to get cover and I couldn’t. The pace was too slow.”

JAMIE SPENCER (Raymond Tusk) 16th - “Beautiful position but the race was too slow.”

TIM CLARK (The Chosen One) 17th - “He went alright. From that draw I had to get a long way back and the pace was no good for him. But he stayed on well.”

JAMES MCDONALD (Latrobe) 18th - “Just got back in a slowly run race. Hard to get into it.”

MARK ZAHRA (Southern France) 19th - “Had a tough run ... probably didn’t stay.”

TOMMY BERRY (Youngstar) 20th - Speed of the race didn’t help her.

LUKE NOLEN (Neufbosc) 21st - They went too steady for me.

JOHN ALLEN (Downdraft) 22nd - Slowly run race mightn’t have suited him. Only I didn’t think that he ran out the trip.”

DAMIEN OLIVER (Mustajeer) 23rd - They just went ridiculously slow and it didn’t suit my horse. Probably didn’t get a chance to run to his best.”

DWAYNE DUNN (Rostropovich) 24th - “He hasn’t pulled up too well, he’s obviously sustained an injury somewhere in the run.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/0302a7fbf02af11bfe08bd62d361c440

A good race if you had a collect, but not otherwise a great edition of the Cup.

rideclutch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Formula 1, PGA Tour
First 17 home covered by 5 lengths. One of those years where many of the form debates were rendered irrelevant. Jockeyship, luck in running and ability to perform in a race of that tempo came to the fore. Now that really was a race that you could run again and get a different result many times over.

Well done to those that kept the faith with the winner - good result for the race.
See you next year.
That is beautifully summed up. Don't need to add a thing.

Apr 10, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Stars
Absolute ******* campaigner of race. I thought we had seen the back of this **** with PoP. Run it 100 times over and VoD doesn’t win again. Danny OBrien is a cheating scumbag anyway.
Surprise Baby & Mer De Glacé supremely unlucky and have cost me a packet.
Frankie can get ****** and never return to our country.
Finche ran like the plodder it was even with the rubbish tempo.
Lloyd deserves a lashing after send a pacemaker out that dawdled along.
Thank **** I had Darwin and Bunbury to keep my bank respectable for the day.
Well done to Willo, one of the great men of racing 👍🏼

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Consistent theme among the jockeys...

CRAIG WILLIAMS (Vow And Declare) 1st - “It was a privilege to ride him today. Look at him, he knows he’s won. I’m so grateful to be given the opportunity. He just gave me a beautiful ride. (Trainer) Danny O’Brien and the owners gave me no instructions. He just said ‘trust the horse’.”

MICHAEL WALKER (Prince Of Arran) 2nd - “Charlie and the team have done a great job. I love the horse and I just wanted to win it, you know. I feel like I’ve let him down.”

WAYNE LORDAN (Il Paradiso) 3rd - He could’ve done with the tempo a bit quicker. We didn’t get an ideal position but he ran well.”

FRANKIE DETTORI (Master Of Reality) 4th - “I want to cry.”

JORDAN CHILDS (Surprise Baby) 5th - “He ran super. I just had nothing to take me into the race from the 800 (metres) but he’ll be back bigger and better next year.”

DAMIAN LANE (Mer De Glace) 6th - “He was massive. He wasn’t entitled to finish off like he did after the slow tempo. Finished well late.”

KERRIN MCEVOY (Finche) 7th - “He ran great. The pace wasn’t that strong. Would’ve liked them to go a bit quicker. But we presented at the top of the lane and I thought he was a real chance there at the 300 (metres). He then just levelled out the last little bit. A brave run.”

WILLIAM BUICK (Cross Counter) 8th - “He ran a huge race ... just slowly away.”

BRETT PREBBLE (Steel Prince) 9th - “He ran super but they didn’t go a gallop. He was in a nice position but he wouldn’t switch the chewy off and it just took its toll late.”

RYAN MOORE (Magic Wand) 10th - “She had no luck. Got an early bump so we were back further than we wanted and they went too slow up front.”

HUGH BOWMAN (Twilight Payment) 11th - “He had a really smooth run in transit. He just didn’t have the sprint required to win a Melbourne Cup.”

JAMES WINKS (Sound) 12th - Tempo was ridiculous so he’s run really well.”

JOAO MOREIRA (Constantinople) 13th - “Disappointing, yes. He was going to have a super run.”

BEN MELHAM (Mirage Dancer) 14th - “He ran well. Probably didn’t quite see out the last part of the race.”

SEAMIE HEFFERNAN (Hunting Horn) 15th - “I needed to get cover and I couldn’t. The pace was too slow.”

JAMIE SPENCER (Raymond Tusk) 16th - “Beautiful position but the race was too slow.”

TIM CLARK (The Chosen One) 17th - “He went alright. From that draw I had to get a long way back and the pace was no good for him. But he stayed on well.”

JAMES MCDONALD (Latrobe) 18th - “Just got back in a slowly run race. Hard to get into it.”

MARK ZAHRA (Southern France) 19th - “Had a tough run ... probably didn’t stay.”

TOMMY BERRY (Youngstar) 20th - Speed of the race didn’t help her.

LUKE NOLEN (Neufbosc) 21st - They went too steady for me.

JOHN ALLEN (Downdraft) 22nd - Slowly run race mightn’t have suited him. Only I didn’t think that he ran out the trip.”

DAMIEN OLIVER (Mustajeer) 23rd - They just went ridiculously slow and it didn’t suit my horse. Probably didn’t get a chance to run to his best.”

DWAYNE DUNN (Rostropovich) 24th - “He hasn’t pulled up too well, he’s obviously sustained an injury somewhere in the run.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/0302a7fbf02af11bfe08bd62d361c440

A good race if you had a collect, but not otherwise a great edition of the Cup.
Keep in mind Tommy Berry means they went too quick for Youngstar ;)

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Got to love Zahras comments after the Derby... didnt handle the track and after the Cup...didnt stay.
He is an embarrassment and also a crook. After the smoking aces debacle he left for Perth thinking he wouldn't be allowed to ride in Melb again, as usual the stewards let it all go for no reason

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Veer Right

Premium Platinum
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Rewatched the race from the backmarkers point of view.

How far Suprise Baby if truly run. Some run! Huge effort. Love to know the horses last 400m compared to the whole meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back