Racing Melbourne Cup Day 2022

Cup winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who decides to say that they've backed the winner here with no previous mention of it on the board will be given a week holiday

POWER RANKINGS - WEEK 1

The last Sunday in August means its time to kick off the world famous power rankings for this year.

#1 DEAUVILLE LEGEND (Betfair price $12) - Obvious top seed - outstanding 3yo with all the right form lines from all the right races to win/run well. Lock to make the field and gets to keep his overseas trainer - likely remains fave from here all the way to the jump.
#2 HOO YA MAL ($16.50) - Has never been a backable price given the Gai hype but has form around DL and now looks like he will also keep his local trainer all the way up to the race meaning Gai can't wreck it. St Leger will be his big test next time out to see where he is really at.
#3 CLEVELAND ($18.50) - Looms as Aiden's best chance at the moment and looks pretty sure to come. Big knocks are that he is a 4yo and is coming through races like the Chester Cup which are generally not good enough form references for this.
#4 GOLD TRIP ($110) - Looks like this years VE to me - the WFA horse actually on this path where everyone thinks he is actually targeting a Cox Plate - main problem is owned by Oz Bloodstock who will be too dumb to realise this is where they should be going.
#5 ZECHARIAH ($80) - Another European 3yo who jumped fave against DL two starts back before bolting in at Newbury two weeks ago. Is also still in the St Leger so will get a guide v HYM there - not sure if they even intend to com though.
#6 DUAIS ($17.50) - Looks pretty clear best local hope but this race is horrendous for mares and she looked pretty average first up yesterday. Will get a better guide once she steps further out in trip.
#7 INTERPRETATION ($60) - Shapes as this year's Floating Artist as the lightly raced import from the Maher-Eustace yard who is trying to win his way in with no weight on his back. Shaped nicely first up - will need to win the Bart Cummings to get a start though
#8 STAR OF INDIA ($110) - Very speculative - going to Neesham but could end up in Sydney rather than Melbourne - won one of the main Derby trials easily before disappointing in the Derby. Very unexposed.
#9 POINT KING ($46) - LLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYD - European 3yo who has only had four starts but has won all three this year including a facile victory at listed level at Leopardstown two weeks ago. Will look to win the same race Tiger Moth won 2 years ago to get a ratings boost to get into the race. Given that the current price already rock bottom.
#10 GEAR UP ($100) - Don't think he is coming any more but if he did he would be the type to run a slasher in the Caulfield Cup and start about $15 at Flemington.

Sub out Star Of India for United Nations and that's probably my 10 at the moment

On a podcast Dean Elliott said that Gear Up has a screw in his leg and accordingly Melbourne isn’t in their plans for him.

United Nations is interesting. Has anyone heard anything to suggest they’re seriously considering bringing him?

On a podcast Dean Elliott said that Gear Up has a screw in his leg and accordingly Melbourne isn’t in their plans for him.

United Nations is interesting. Has anyone heard anything to suggest they’re seriously considering bringing him?

No

Hang on
53 to 54 was mentioned earlier

Yeah but that's just what we expect - got to make sure he doesn't cop some crazy Greggy rating like when he had a slowbor winner as top weight last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but that's just what we expect - got to make sure he doesn't cop some crazy Greggy rating like when he had a slowbor winner as top weight last year.
It was Carps who said 53-54

POWER RANKINGS - MENGELE ATTACKS

Given the RV vets have gone full Dr Mengele in the last 7 days I've taking an axe to the power rankings this week and chopped anything that hasn't already passed a vet test or isn't already owned by Australian interests.

#1 DEAUVILLE LEGEND ($10.50; last week - #1) - Trimmed up a couple of points on betfair with a bunch of the top raiders failing their vet exams.
#2 HOO YA MAL ($19, #2) - Surprisingly a touch week on the fair this week - scan risk?
#3 GOLD TRIP ($85, #4) - The more I think about it the more i think this could be a 100/1 moral if Oz Bloodstock pull the right reign. They won't.
#4 DUAIS ($15, #6) - Most likely top local hope to run and jumps a few slots with raiders dropping out of contention.
#5 INTERPRETATION ($60, #7) - Needs to win to get in so would like to see him back at the track pretty soon to see how he is going.
#6 STAR OF INDIA ($170, #8) - Out the gate on the fair suggests not coming or heading to Sydney
#7 WITHOUT A FIGHT ($30, u/r) - 5yo raider who has past a vet check but is winning low class small field races which is generally not the profile to get the job done in the big one - I'd find it hard to mark him lower than his current price on the day anyway.
#8 SPANISH MISSION ($17, u/r) - Utter poison already for a horse who was too slow last year and isn't getting any faster.
#9 SHERAZ ($60, u/r) - Excellent first up run by the Sydney Cup placegetter but might need a complete bog on race day to be competitive.
#10 SUREFRE ($40, u/r) - Just went around for a barrier trial on the weekend but I have huge 2 mile queries and getting rolled in a Queens Cup and Sydney Cup is hardly MC winning material

Given the RV vets have gone full Dr Mengele in the last 7 days I've taking an axe to the power rankings this week and chopped anything that hasn't already passed a vet test or isn't already owned by Australian interests.

#1 DEAUVILLE LEGEND ($10.50; last week - #1) - Trimmed up a couple of points on betfair with a bunch of the top raiders failing their vet exams.
#2 HOO YA MAL ($19, #2) - Surprisingly a touch week on the fair this week - scan risk?
#3 GOLD TRIP ($85, #4) - The more I think about it the more i think this could be a 100/1 moral if Oz Bloodstock pull the right reign. They won't.
#4 DUAIS ($15, #6) - Most likely top local hope to run and jumps a few slots with raiders dropping out of contention.
#5 INTERPRETATION ($60, #7) - Needs to win to get in so would like to see him back at the track pretty soon to see how he is going.
#6 STAR OF INDIA ($170, #8) - Out the gate on the fair suggests not coming or heading to Sydney
#7 WITHOUT A FIGHT ($30, u/r) - 5yo raider who has past a vet check but is winning low class small field races which is generally not the profile to get the job done in the big one - I'd find it hard to mark him lower than his current price on the day anyway.
#8 SPANISH MISSION ($17, u/r) - Utter poison already for a horse who was too slow last year and isn't getting any faster.
#9 SHERAZ ($60, u/r) - Excellent first up run by the Sydney Cup placegetter but might need a complete bog on race day to be competitive.
#10 SUREFRE ($40, u/r) - Just went around for a barrier trial on the weekend but I have huge 2 mile queries and getting rolled in a Queens Cup and Sydney Cup is hardly MC winning material
Why is Sheraz on here but not Knights Order?

This list is dead set dog s**t. RIP the race that stops the nation

Would be running with a top 8 only before I chucked Sheraz onto my list. Needs a swamp and Adelaide Cup style field. May as well just throw a couple darts at something that could have potential to improve for the lols

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back