Where will Melbourne finish in 2020?

• Total voters

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
After witnessing a huge drop off from a PF in 2018 to bottom 2 in 2019, I'm really keen to hear some thoughts and opinions on Melbourne and how they will perform in 2020. Discuss.

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets
I think they’ll bounce back. A big part of the drop was failure to adjust to new 6-6-6 rule as well as down seasons / injuries from key personnel including McDonald, Melksham, Brayshaw, Lever, May.

A full preseason, a soft draw and maybe some new players coming in via trade period I can see them making the 8 (need to adjust game plan though)

May 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Great list. Prime age/games bracket. Awful coach. Goodwin has no idea.

Need a KPF pretty badly, my personal thought is that Tom McDonald’s 2017 is going to be an exception and not a rule. Perhaps Jenkins.

Outside speed as well. Not sure why they weren’t chucking everything at Brad Hill.

It’s all pissing in the wind till that moron gets out of the chair, though.

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hard to talk about this before the trade period begins.

If they carry the same list composition into next year they won't be much better.
Yeah it looks quite likely we'll be getting both Langdon and Tomlinson to play roles on the wing for us, might get Elliott as well which would be pretty good. Have to get the midfield mix right next year, especially the inside and outside balance, so I'm glad we're trying to address this as I don't want to see someone like a Brayshaw play on the wing again when his preferred position is on the inside.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Players getting a full pre-season and not spending it on the injury list will go a long way, also actually having our back line available will help.

Also shock collars, if more than 4 midfielders get sucked into the contest on the inside while their man sits outside the lot of them get shocked.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Nathan Jones playing of half back again this year? If so put me down for 17th

Agree. Should have retired.
Been a champion for so long in a poor team but his time was up.

They have far too much class to not make a serious challenge in 2020.
May, Kolodjashnij and Lever should be cherry ripe after a thorough preseason. The midfield is stacked but they could really do with an explosive player as Viney, Brayshaw, Oliver are similar types.
Brad Hill would have been an exceptional get. Perhaps rumors of Gaff could be a serious consideration. While not explosive, his decision making and gut running is as good as there is and would be a mega signing for Melbourne's current needs.

Catsnlakers

Even Hank Moody is in awe of Geelong!
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
L.A Angels, Anaheim Ducks & M.Stars
I don’t see them as a finals team. All year the talk has been about this just being an off year. IMO the aberration was actually 2018. When you go deeper you actually see it quite clearly, in 2017 let’s not forget they were earmarked to make finals & didn’t, same as this year!

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I don’t see them as a finals team. All year the talk has been about this just being an off year. IMO the aberration was actually 2018. When you go deeper you actually see it quite clearly, in 2017 let’s not forget they were earmarked to make finals & didn’t, same as this year!

No we weren't "expected to", people like to say because we got agonizingly close but we were expected to be in the mix for finals and we were.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
They need a decent key forward (Tmac would be a good second banana, not the main man) and some more balance in the middle with some outside class.

Their defence looks good if Lever and May have good preseasons.

GAS PANIC

All Australian
Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
They will finish higher due to the kinder draw they'll recieve as a consequence of being so terrible in 2019. However, if they have a decent season next year and finish in the top 8 you can expect them to slide right out of contention again in 2021 much like this year.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
We were shithouse this season, good players out of form, poorly coached and injuries pre season issues yet I reckon we were leading in the 3rd quarter in most of our losses. Wouldn't take a tonne for us to get back into finals contention

MemoryLane

Team Captain
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hard to pick given they obviously tanked mid season when finals became unattainable - they should have finished 13-15th had they actually tried the wholeway through.

You can make a case for them making finals via soft draw but not so much because they are that good but ratherthere are plenty of bad teams.

Hoping for another disaster year though - Lyon and Roos melts are funny.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Hard to pick given they obviously tanked mid season when finals became unattainable - they should have finished 13-15th had they actually tried the wholeway through.

You can make a case for them making finals via soft draw but not so much because they are that good but ratherthere are plenty of bad teams.

Hoping for another disaster year though - Lyon and Roos melts are funny.

What the * are you on about

Back