Melbourne Demons 2020

Where will Melbourne finish in 2020?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would we tank haha. You are completely clueless

Name one example of tanking this year. Just one clear example.

Why? Try to get pick 2 obviously. Vs Sydney was most obvious then of course all those games where you appeared 'competitive' but found a way to lose tje close ones time and time again.

They were actually smashing it in the middle early in the year but couldn’t do anything with their f50 entries. That at least gives them hope as long as they can organise their forward line.

Plenty of clubs have bombed for a season and returned better than before (Tigs ‘16, Geelong ‘06, Dogs and Saints ‘07). Melbourne’s decline though was something else.

Think they’ll bounce back but not necessarily into the eight.

Why? Try to get pick 2 obviously. Vs Sydney was most obvious then of course all those games where you appeared 'competitive' but found a way to lose tje close ones time and time again.
So you don't have any examples, just us losing games

I'm going to say 7-10 range, based partly on a softer draw and I think their list has too much talent to perform as badly as they did last year. That said I'll revise this opinion after trade period as It could change my thinking considerably depending on their changes.

they need to clear out there assistant coaches and restructure the footy department i think, the players love Goodwin i have heard and want to play for him but they don't respect the rest

in terms of playing talent they are too one paced, severely lacking skill, poor KP depth and a poor game plan, honestly i cant see them finishing top 8...its a tough comp

Just can't see they will kick enough goals to be a genuine threat to anyone.

McDonald, Petracca, Fritsch, Hunt, Melksham, Weiderman just doesn't carry any significant firepower. They need at least 3 or 4 to kick 30+ goals if they want to improve.

Their defence looks good if Lever and May have good preseasons.

They really should have one of the better defences in the league, if everyone is fit and firing:

B: Kade Kolodjashnij/Sam Frost - Steven May/Oscar McDonald - Neville Jetta/Josh Wagner
HB: Michael Hibberd/Marty Hore - Jake Lever/Harrison Petty - Christian Salem/Jay Lockhart

Midfield pace and midfield defence is a definite problem, though, and puts their backline under the pump.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McDonald, Petracca, Fritsch, Hunt, Melksham, Weiderman just doesn't carry any significant firepower. They need at least 3 or 4 to kick 30+ goals if they want to improve.

Think the medium forwards there are pretty good (Melksham and Fritsch should kick minimum 50 between them in 2020 barring injury) but the cupboard is bare after that. TMac needs to prove he isn't a flash in the pan, Weideman needs to prove he can actually play at AFL level and we have zero decent crumbers. Petracca should play more midfield next year too.

I'm not sure this group even played a single game together as a front six this year, which is a big part of the problem.

All fit, I'm confident that at least three of them can contribute 30+ goals, and Melksham will contribute 25+ goals assists as well (had 33 in 23 games in 2017, and 14 in 12 games this year).

They really should have one of the better defences in the league, if everyone is fit and firing:

B: Kade Kolodjashnij/Sam Frost - Steven May/Oscar McDonald - Neville Jetta/Josh Wagner
HB: Michael Hibberd/Marty Hore - Jake Lever/Harrison Petty - Christian Salem/Jay Lockhart

Midfield pace and midfield defence is a definite problem, though, and puts their backline under the pump.
Agree in regards to our backline having the potential to be one of the better defences in the league providing that they are fit and available and that our midfield does it's bit also. Getting at least close to a full season out of Lever and May is very important as well. Also, Hore was a real find for us this year, glad to have him on our list, I think he'll be an important player for our backline going forward.

Agree in regards to our backline having the potential to be one of the better defences in the league providing that they are fit and available and that our midfield does it's bit also. Getting at least close to a full season out of Lever and May is very important as well. Also, Hore was a real find for us this year, glad to have him on our list, I think he'll be an important player for our backline going forward.

Everyone fit, if Hibberd's rapid decline continues, I can see Hore easily replacing him permanently in the 22.

Think the medium forwards there are pretty good (Melksham and Fritsch should kick minimum 50 between them in 2020 barring injury) but the cupboard is bare after that. TMac needs to prove he isn't a flash in the pan, Weideman needs to prove he can actually play at AFL level and we have zero decent crumbers. Petracca should play more midfield next year too.
Yeah the quality in our medium forwards is probably the biggest strength in our forward line. I'm confident Melksham and Fritsch will be really good contributors next season, they've got the quality. Getting T Mac back to some consistent form is arguably the most important thing for our forward line. Also, what I'll be interested to see is who will play as the 2nd tall between Weideman and Petty, who I thought showed some nice glimpses when he played ahead of the ball. Yeah our crumbers/small forwards I feel lack quality and most of them are role players at best. A 2017 level Garlett would be really handy for us right now.

they have to go back to square 1
and by that I mean all the ruck contests ie (centre bounce , ball ups and thrown ins)

Think of Sandilands at peak, Freo really struggled to capitalise over a number of seasons

Now we have Gawn dominating all forms of the ruck and not just winning the hit out count but putting so many to advantage
and his side not able to make the most of it

Gawn's dominace is so obvious the other 17 clubs have studied it in detail and watched how others neutralize that part of Melb.s game

get that right and all of a sudden the rest of the team will look a whole lot better

It am not sure whether 2018 was an aberration or whether 2019 was. Which was the real Demons?

Injuries plagued the club in 2019, but the drop off in skills was disproportionate.

9-12 in 2020 for me.

Back