Autopsy Melbourne Demons Flag Contenders Or Pretenders?

Contenders or Pretenders?

• Contenders

Votes: 31 21.5%
  • Pretenders

Votes: 113 78.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond were trashed as lacking the backbone to win big games last year probably more than the Demons this year. They had a number of tragic losses and hadn't won a final for yonks. My point is June predictions dont mean a lot.
.. and here I am, still bearing the scars, sitting here, happy for a bye cause we can't loose, waiting for it to all turn to faeces. Its the footy equivalent of the old ww1 shell-shocked.

Melbourne are a finals team without doubt. Add some speed to the midfield and they can take it to the next level.

They are in the sweet spot now, so if they can add this during the off season, they can easily be a top 4 side.

The crucial point in the game

When the 50 meter penalty was conceeded late and the Hoff nailed the goal

The ball was on the wing ...Nek minute ...it’s a goal

It was nek minute dumb mistake by Melbourne

That player whom I can’t recall who gave the 50 away would not play next week if I was coaching Melbourne

It was a massive massive mistake that coast them a chance of winning the game

Sometimes footy is about being smart and that was really really dumb

Don't think they can win a flag with both Lewis and Vince.

Petracca and Hogan to blame for the loss tonight.
Once Port sorted out their defence (i.e. after that burst of 3 goals in 5 mins in Q1) the Dees' delivery into f50 gave the likes of Petracca & Hogan very little chance of scoring. Or anybody else for that matter.

They bomb it so predictably to the hot-spot that any reasonably organised defence can get enough men to the drop of the ball to stop them scoring. Most of their goals came from when players coming downfield lower their eyes and do something different.

Hogan & T-Mac are two of the best contested marks one-on-one in the comp. But the way Melbourne deliver the ball, they're hardly ever one-on-one. And Hogan knows there's no point in ever leading, because none of his teammates will ever try to find him on a lead.

Against lower teams, bombing to the hot-spot will work a treat, but against better teams, their i50 entries need to be more varied and controlled.

They're definitely one of the best contested ball teams, but it's the gap between winning contested ball and scoring that will continue to undo them, unless they mix it up. If and when they do sort it out, they're capable of beating anyone.

In all honesty I would say somewhere between contenders and pretenders.

Basing nothing off last night, you guys played good footy and lost a tight game against a good side in form at their home ground. You Won't be the only team to have that happen to them this year.

With that said, I don't think Melbourne are pretenders, but I don't think they can win it this year either. They aren't good enough. Melbourne are a solid 4 to 8 side. If they continue to improve they may be a solid 1 to 4 side next year. If this is as good as it gets they may be a 8 to 12 side next yr. Who knows.

But I would be thinking as a Melbourne supporter a prelim and finals experience would be a great result this yr and about as much as you could reasonably hope for, with hopes of going 1 better next yr and making it to the gf.

Does anyone else think Melbourne have gone a little bit potato with how much emphasis they place on 'contested ball'
every melbourne player and their coach go on and on about winning the contested ball.
Every melbourne player is exactly the same big bodied - contested ball winners.
When you think of silky, skill full players... do any melbourne players come to mind?
Unfortunately for melbourne, there's more to winning a game of football than contested ball.

Think we are pretenders this year.

All games this year that have been close or against good teams we have failed.

We should make the 8 and hopefully win a final or at least get some experience. But a premiership is premature.

In all honesty I would say somewhere between contenders and pretenders.

Basing nothing off last night, you guys played good footy and lost a tight game against a good side in form at their home ground. You Won't be the only team to have that happen to them this year.

With that said, I don't think Melbourne are pretenders, but I don't think they can win it this year either. They aren't good enough. Melbourne are a solid 4 to 8 side. If they continue to improve they may be a solid 1 to 4 side next year. If this is as good as it gets they may be a 8 to 12 side next yr. Who knows.

But I would be thinking as a Melbourne supporter a prelim and finals experience would be a great result this yr and about as much as you could reasonably hope for, with hopes of going 1 better next yr and making it to the gf.
I think this is a fair summation. We’re not a top four side yet. Whether or not that makes us a pretender I don’t know. The competition isn’t reaching any great heights atm so you could argue a lot'of teams are contenders purely because the top teams aren’t that great, although beating the Tigers at the G is the biggest challenge for any side right now.

The crucial point in the game

When the 50 meter penalty was conceeded late and the Hoff nailed the goal

The ball was on the wing ...Nek minute ...it’s a goal

It was nek minute dumb mistake by Melbourne

That player whom I can’t recall who gave the 50 away would not play next week if I was coaching Melbourne

It was a massive massive mistake that coast them a chance of winning the game

Sometimes footy is about being smart and that was really really dumb
It was Oscar McDonald. He played well other then than the 2 very costly 50s. Kept Dixon to a goal. They are difficult contests but he’ll need to adjust the way he attacks those ones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our run home

Saints win
Freo win
Bulldogs win
Geelong loss
Adelaide 50/50 (in Adelaide and they could have some me guns back)
Gold Coast win
Sydney mcg 60/40 swans way
West coast loss
GWS MCG 50/50

So if we win the games we should that’s 12 wins, beat Adelaide then I will say we play finals geez could come down to last game against GWS For a finals spot no Melbourne supporter should have to go through that again, I hope we have a spot locked away by then but I won’t hold my breath

Pretenders would be a pretty harsh judgement I think. I don't know if they are contenders yet, but they certainly play some great footy when they are on.
It's just a matter of being 'on' for longer and more consistently.

I think they are definitely heading in the right direction. Hopefully get some finals experience this year, then head in to next and see how you go. Logically you should be headed for good things.

melbourne unfortunate could one of those nearly team, they are nearly good enough to be the top team but just a few things not go their ways. Unfortunately for each premiership team there will be a few like melbourne. Richmond in grand final by 52 points if they played melbourne. The attacking flair means diddly squat if the defensive side of things are not top notch. Flags are won on the best defensive pressure then the team with the superior attacking flair and creativity when the chips are down counts decisively.

Not worried yet you only need to look back at the same time last year with Richmond
They were 8-5 same as us, they had beaten 1 top 8 side(same as us) they lost all there games against top 8 sides apart from freo, they lost a couple of close ones as we have, and did anyone rate Richmond this time last year I know I didn’t, so still plenty of time can’t afford to drop 1 of the next 3 however and I am sure we will knock over a top side at some point, the players need it

I've been pretty bullish on them all season as a flag threat, I'm off them now after that loss. They're not ready yet. Pity because I've been enjoying watching them in general.

Without Lever, I think they are pretenders. Good team, very capable on their day, but hard to see them stringing together a run of form good enough to take them through that tough finish to the minor round (Sydney, WCE, GWS) and then finals. They will get found wanting at some stage in August/September and that will be the end of their campaign.

Dave P.

Flag contender for mine. Very impressed with the Dees. They would be my pick for the flag at the moment, but its an open race. Ever since Hawthorn dropped off a few years back there hasn't really been a dominant side in the competition. Its wide open.

Back