Meet Up Melbourne Fan Forum - Friday 8 March

Oct 11, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Traditionally this has been a members forum, but we would like to grow the event so have opened it up to all Lions fans.

Where: Oaks on Market, 60 Market St, Melbourne
When: Friday 8 March 2019 from 6.30pm-7.30pm.

Andrew Wellington, Greg Swann, Chris Fagan and David Noble will all be in attendance.

Discounted parking ($10) is available at Secure Parking, 376 Flinders St, info attached.

Attachments

• Oaks on Market Parking Map.pdf
    150.8 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

Groo2

All Australian
Nov 11, 2006
Australia City
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I was there. Started a bit late, Melbourne traffic issues but really good as usual. Signage was not great at the venue, so that might have contributed to the small numbers - about 30-40. Hopefully that does not deter this from happening in future years.

A little bit more candid than you would hear in the media. An overall positive vibe (with one exception below). Fagan just keeps talking and not afraid of a bit of banter with the fans. Even had a go at me for inferring that Archie had gone past Stef. A few random notes.

- I think Swan was a bit embarrassed by the whole sponsorship fiasco. Too late to take of the jumpers today, but look for an announcement in the next week or so.
- Noble and Fagan not happy with the new rules with runners only allowed on after goals.
- Gardiner likely to be ready for round 1.
- No1 ruck still to be decided. Panel spoke highly of Big O's ability as a tap ruckman.
- Happy to get in much more match practice than in previous years

Went for about an hour and as a fan I really appreciated the effort from the club to organise this. Maybe a bit more publicity and a better time (start time of Friday 6:30pm in the city can be difficult for those having to travel in) might boost the numbers a bit.

Matt_BL

All Australian
May 9, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I was there. Started a bit late, Melbourne traffic issues but really good as usual. Signage was not great at the venue, so that might have contributed to the small numbers - about 30-40. Hopefully that does not deter this from happening in future years.

A little bit more candid than you would hear in the media. An overall positive vibe (with one exception below). Fagan just keeps talking and not afraid of a bit of banter with the fans. Even had a go at me for inferring that Archie had gone past Stef. A few random notes.

- I think Swan was a bit embarrassed by the whole sponsorship fiasco. Too late to take of the jumpers today, but look for an announcement in the next week or so.
- Noble and Fagan not happy with the new rules with runners only allowed on after goals.
- No1 ruck still to be decided. Panel spoke highly of Big O's ability as a tap ruckman.

Went for about an hour and as a fan I really appreciated the effort from the club to organise this. Maybe a bit more publicity and a better time (start time of Friday 6:30pm in the city can be difficult for those having to travel in) might boot the numbers a bit.

Awesome Groo, thanks for the insight. I saw Hodge spoke to the media about the runners as well sharing the same view. I also remember a couple of year ago when they might have reduced the amount of runners Paul Roos shared the same sentiment about younger teams.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Went for about an hour and as a fan I really appreciated the effort from the club to organise this. Maybe a bit more publicity and a better time (start time of Friday 6:30pm in the city can be difficult for those having to travel in) might boost the numbers a bit.

Interesting ruck battle given they all have different strengths.

Stef can more than hold his own in the ruck (rarely gets beaten) but isn't a great tap ruckman which Archie is and Oscar will be (I think he was beaten too many times in ruck contests last season). Stef links up the play, Archie is strong at ground level and Oscar is a good contested mark.

Anyone head along last night?

Yes, was an opportunity for both members and supporters to listen in an intimate environment to likes of Swann, Wellington, Nobel and Fagan for free, something that I don't think too many other club supporters get to do, I for one am most appreciative. I understand that a Friday night of a long weekend might not be ideal for many but as far as location, it was only a short walk from either Flinders St or Southern Cross stations. for me, there was no location issue. And those that utilised the drink discount cards offered after the event at the downstairs bar, even had the good fortune to see Kevin 'Bulldog' Murray!

Last edited:
Back