News Melbourne hopes to play two home games in Darwin

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like we have brokered a deal with the NT government, and signed NT Tourism as a second tier sponsor, to play two home games in Darwin.

MELBOURNE hopes to play two home games in Darwin each season after brokering a deal with the Northern Territory Government that could mirror Hawthorn's deal with Tasmania.
The Herald Sun can reveal the Demons have signed NT Tourism as a second-tier corporate partner.

The Demons already play a home game each year in Darwin, and could double it when the current deal expires at the end of the season.Melbourne is one of a number of clubs that must consider alternative revenue streams to survive

Link for full article here: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...-games-in-darwin/story-e6frf9jf-1226600987883

Don't find it surprising and think it's a good move by the club. Clearly we want to put our stamp on the area and beat a few other clubs who could potentially do the same thing. Plenty of opportunity for the club to grow itself up there as well, and obviously money will play a factor in it as well.

Thoughts?

Well MFC has had a good relationship with the NT Government across both sides of politics now ALP/CLP so support from the NT is very healthy in general.

2 home games up there doesn't appeal to me tbh but the commercial & community benefits are obvious so you roll with it I guess.

Well MFC has had a good relationship with the NT Government across both sides of politics now ALP/CLP so support from the NT is very healthy in general.

2 home games up there doesn't appeal to me tbh but the commercial & community benefits are obvious so you roll with it I guess.

Doesn't appeal to me either in terms of the fact that we have to give up two games and play them away from the G, but I think the long term benefits far outweigh the short term. We need to further build our supporter base, much like the Hawks have done down in Tassie, and continue to put more money into the club. If it means our survival and that the club can spend more in important areas then I'm all for it. If we build a very good side it shouldn't matter where we play.

Cool, sounds good. I can't see us building too much of a supporter base there as Darwin is a bit of a rural backwater really, but it all helps. Will be more about the community exposure along with the sponsorship dollars from their government.

Bit annoying that we get one less game in Melbourne, but if it means no home games at Etihad I'm all for it... apart from that it will only be games against low-drawing interstate teams that would have been played to echos and seagulls at the G.

Don't like it, Darwin is too far away to be chasing new supporters like hawthorn has done in Tassie. It's good for making quick dollars but thats about it. We should be building our brand here in Melbourne, we are the Melbourne football club.

I like to think that in time we could turn Darwin into a place where we are very hard to beat due to the extreme conditions. As long as we played different low drawing interstate teams up there I think it could work. I hated the fact that we played Port Adelaide there each year. (Not only did they get away with not having to give up a home game, they were also as accustomed to the conditions as us, and they got to build a presence up there.)

My selfishness says noooooo, as I would prefer to go to 11 home games at the G. But I understand the benefits for the club and can see how two games coupled with the summer training camp can build a strong support in the top end. Whether that transfers into memberships I'm not sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cool, sounds good. I can't see us building too much of a supporter base there as Darwin is a bit of a rural backwater really, but it all helps. Will be more about the community exposure along with the sponsorship dollars from their government.

Bit annoying that we get one less game in Melbourne, but if it means no home games at Etihad I'm all for it... apart from that it will only be games against low-drawing interstate teams that would have been played to echos and seagulls at the G.

It is growing though, one of Australia's fastest growing cities i believe, due to the links with south east asia (indonesia) and more so a huge gas refinery off shore i believe.

Also remember that the club is trying very hard to build a presence in Melbourne's South-East, which is where a huge amount of population is skewed in this city. I think this is less about building a supporter base in Darwin and more about money.

Financially a good move.

However from a purely football sense - not only is it losing that 2 game home advantage ....there is danger that in taxing weather conditions it may cost you the week following.

To go down this path - Id want to be backing this onto a bye.

I hope they weigh up that it's a tough competitive league, if you miss finals by 4-8 points ....that is going to cost you $'s and future supporters.

Financially a good move.

However from a purely football sense - not only is it losing that 2 game home advantage ....there is danger that in taxing weather conditions it may cost you the week following.

I hope they weigh up that it's a tough competitive league, if you miss finals by 4-8 points ....that is going to cost you $'s and future supporters.

We currently play one home game at docklands, no one likes that and it costs $$$$. If this second game replaces that we dont really lose out on anything.

Considering our focus to train in darwin we should reduce the impact of the games and maybe even turn Darwin in to a fortress.

If we also play on the Saturday before Queens Birthday we then get a 9 day break between them.

Financially a good move.

Absolutely agree. Or at least a longer break -ie playing in Darwin on a Friday night and not playing till the Sunday of the next week afterwards

Financially a good move.

Very good point. Has a Richmond selling games to Cairns risk to it.

On a selfish note, I have family up in Darwin and depending on work commitments am hoping to make the trip up there this year to see the Dees play :thumbsu:

Has any team won a game after playing the previous round in Darwin?

I don't think many (if any) have and that's a problem for me.

On a selfish note, I have family up in Darwin and depending on work commitments am hoping to make the trip up there this year to see the Dees play :thumbsu:

Me too, my baby brother moved up there in December and this is a perfect excuse to crash on his couch for the weekend with another brother and go to the game.

Has any team won a game after playing the previous round in Darwin?

I don't think many (if any) have and that's a problem for me.

Consider the teams that have actually played in darwin and where they were on the ladder.

Consider the teams that have actually played in darwin and where they were on the ladder.
We've missed the boat on Tassie IMO, easier to play in freezing cold than humidity.

Not the worst idea ever, the AFL insists on fixturing us to play home games against all the lowest drawing teams, seemingly every year re: port, gws, gc and freo. So if two of those games can be moved to Darwin and actually make money and if it means we dont have to play a home game at etihad then I'd take that. Could actually work out better for general members, we would have 9 home games at the G + 2 top up games at the G. But if we still had to play a home game at etihad the idea can get stuffed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back