Melbourne- how do they fill the list?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dees officially have six senior slots and one rookie slot free, with only three picks in the effective draft range for 2018, and if they trade their future first will not have picked in the first round for four years running.

So, what do they do? Who fills the gaps given so many holes so soon?

Preuss (pick 44?)
C.Wagner (late pick)
Some kind of defensive depth: rumours of Sam Collins, perhaps a Keilty upgrade
Tim Smith?
Pick 33
Pick 50

Who honestly knows. Maybe we offer our 2019 first round pick for Collingwood's 2018 first, or something. Maybe we try and help academy clubs out with their bidding by packaging picks. Maybe we trade Tyson for a second and a third?

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Trade Hogan. Easy.

Then look to deal with GC for May and a glut of their 2nd rounders which they may not require.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Dees officially have six senior slots and one rookie slot free, with only three picks in the effective draft range for 2018, and if they trade their future first will not have picked in the first round for four years running.

So, what do they do? Who fills the gaps given so many holes so soon?

What do you think the club needs? Where do you see the holes? Does the current list just need another off season of maturing?

old55

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Any rookies worth upgrading?

We have 4 Cat A Rookies. One of them - Lochie Filipovic was delisted yesterday.

Tim Smith and Dec Keilty are out of contract this year but it looks like they will be extended, they weren't in the 5 delisted yesterday.

They have been on the Rookie List for 2 years so can be extended for a 3rd year or they could be promoted.

Maynard is the other remaining Rookie, he started as Cat B and is now on the Cat A list and has been injured. He is contracted to end 2019 AFAIK, so unlikely to be upgraded.

We've got 2 new incoming Cat B Rookies Austin Bradtke and Guy Walker

Xhoquelin

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Charlotte Hornets
Should be a Dees board post you’d reckon.

And all the good State league prospects will be gone by the time we pick in the 80s. Don’t think Lockhart/Wagner will be there let alone a Collins/Corbett. We had to take Bayley with a second rounder last year.

Tim Smith might get promoted, we might take a punt on Machaya too I guess. Seems to be a solid small forward.

But honestly didn’t expect so many list changes. We can probably afford to bring some speculative picks in the mould of Jayden Hunt like we continue to do with Smith Maynard Walker Bradtke etc. but man I would like for us to prop our depth which is dwindling by the day seemingly.

Don’t know why we delisted Bugg if I’m being perfectly honest. Hopefully there are some decent DFAs this year, and I guess we will give more minutes to the likes of JKH Johnstone Stretch next year. Probably means Tyson hangs around another year now

Xhoquelin

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Charlotte Hornets
What do you think the club needs? Where do you see the holes? Does the current list just need another off season of maturing?
Pressure forwards, wingers, defenders in all shapes and sizes.

Wouldn’t actually mind a punt on Hartung to be honest.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Kurt Heatherly impressed me last year against us and the Crows. Not sure what happened at the Hawks, but he did get sent to the VFL.

We're overstocked with tall defenders but as a free hit at a key defender, he might be worth a look.

Back