Melbourne in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

What makes Tyson captaincy material?

Hodge and Mitchell aren't snipers, there's no such thing in modern footy. Mitchell got belted all night tonight and he carried on like a man.

Bernie Vince is a sniper under the logic
Not going to lie, but i think Bernie Vince is a sniper

Fyfe and Walkers thighs would seem to argue that Mitchell is the modern day sniper

Simon Says: Demons to Entertain - Article link

Pretty sure this is from his SEN bit this morning that Sando was talking about.

Main points:
- We're looking to be a high scoring, attacking, competitive team
- There are a group of young leaders now able to help Jones
- Goodwin knows that jumping into the 8 is a task, but our intention is to make finals

Here's the C&P:

NEW Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin expects the Demons to add some excitement and flair to their game in 2017.

Goodwin said there would only be small changes to the gameplan installed by former coach Paul Roos and competitiveness and contested ball would continue to be the foundations of Demons success.

The Demons finished 11th in 2016 averaging 13 goals a game, equal eighth best in the AFL, and 13 goals against, 11th best.

Goodwin said there was plenty for the Melbourne faithful to get excited about.

“There’ll be some little tinkering with how we play but ultimately what I think our supporters should be excited about is the youth and competitiveness around the footy,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“Hopefully when they walk away from the MCG on a Saturday or Sunday they’re starting to see that competitiveness and contested ball brand starting to emerge and that’s something that’s going to remain consistent with our playing group.

“We’ll certainly add some excitement and flair to how we move the ball and hopefully stretch some defences as well.”

After winning 10 games this year, Goodwin said the Demons aspired to play finals in 2017 but still had a lot of work to do.

“We aspire to play finals. We’d be mad if we didn’t have that aspiration,” he said.

“We had 10 wins last year, getting another two or three wins to make the eight is a significant jump.”

Goodwin also spoke about the Demons’ leadership and was happy with the growth within the playing group.

The Demons have struggled to develop young leaders since the move to appoint Jack Grimes and Jack Trengove backfired in 2012.

Nathan Jones was appointed captain 2014 and Goodwin believed the midfielder no longer had to carry the burden on his own.

“What we are looking to do is develop a group of leaders. That’s something the club has been crying out for for a number of years,” he said.

“We’re really excited by the depth of leadership we’re starting to get. Max Gawn, Tom McDonald, Jack are really emerging as strong leaders at the footy club.

“Nathan has done a terrific job and continues to emerge as a really strong leader so we’re looking to get a group of leaders to move the club forward.”

Here's some a-grade, off-season shitposting...

Remember when we launched our logo?

How could I forget.
They sort of ran it into the ground at home games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i liked reading what Goodwin said in quotes, i just had to ignore the tripe that Slobbo was writing. i cringed at the puberty stuff

did he say anything of note? feel like his responses have all been straight from the text book so far but I guess he's still new to the senior coaching gig, maybe doesn't want to go out on a limb with anything yet.

plus a bit of genuine honesty on Buckley's behalf last year in regards to his coaching future at the pies has meant he's facing a finals or the boot proposition now. not sure that's fair but it is what it is, a bit of a game, Roos was an expert player.

did he say anything of note? feel like his responses have all been straight from the text book so far but I guess he's still new to the senior coaching gig, maybe doesn't want to go out on a limb with anything yet.

plus a bit of genuine honesty on Buckley's behalf last year in regards to his coaching future at the pies has meant he's facing a finals or the boot proposition now. not sure that's fair but it is what it is, a bit of a game, Roos was an expert player.

They're still giving him softball questions. Biggest thing was probably that the goal with Dom is to be available by the end of preseason.

Goody was great.
Comes across as a super positive bloke which is exactly what our group needs.
Could not speak highly enough of Jordan Lewis and what he's brought to the group saying he is really striving to create his own little bit of history as a Dee and his attitude is having a profound effect on the entire group.
Was rapt with the condition that Hogan came back in saying he is really taking his training to the next level and working hard on the body language stuff.
Did say that he'd expect Dom to be right for the back end of the JLT comp which to me, sounds like he's probably going to be underdone and hence not quite right for round 1.
Has placed a big emphasis on us playing a sustainable style where we as supporters and the wider footy community can know what we are going to get from the group week in, week out.
Boys in the studio absolutely loved him and think he's 100% the right man for the job.

It's certainly got me up and about on a Friday!!

Most enjoyable interview I've heard from him so far. I thought he was great - without saying anything controversial and avoiding headline statements.

But of humour thrown in and generally really positive about the state of the club and list.

I'm sure SEN will have it on their website shortly, for those who want to listen.

Most enjoyable interview I've heard from him so far. I thought he was great - without saying anything controversial and avoiding headline statements.

But of humour thrown in and generally really positive about the state of the club and list.

I'm sure SEN will have it on their website shortly, for those who want to listen.
Completely agree.
You can see why the players apparently love him and couldn't wait for him to take the reins

I wonder if we'll redo our 2016 ad. I liked it, and would like to see a new version of it as i don't think it's drawn out yet. But we definitely need a new one due to Lumumba being in it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back