Melbourne in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

So basically the reason why i wanted to create this thread is really to log everything melbourne does in the media. So i was hoping that this would be a resource thread for those who want to hear an interview on SEN for example to those who just want to know if one of our players is on one of the footy shows, or is looking for a link to an article, as well as generate some discussion.

(If Moderators feel this thread is unnecessary by all means let me know)

So i'll try and hunt up most of the stuff, but obviously everybody can feel free to post stuff as long it follows Bigfooty guidelines and the Melbourne Board Rules. But i'll cover some main ones

If you're posting about an article do not quote the entire article in your post, instead please leave a link or summarise it

Do not post links to streaming or torrent websites

Remember everything posted belongs to the respected owner (e.g fairfax, foxtel...)

I thought it was a bit meh to be honest, but then I think most footy advertising is (not just our club).

I do find the stretch between Melbourne the club and Melbourne the city a hard sell. I love both those entities but in my head they're not really linked. I suppose that link is what the club is trying to form. Will be interesting to see how they go.

I felt it's one of the best we have done in years in terms of quality, i mean last years with the guy walking in and sitting down to a computer to sign up was pretty bland but this one felt pretty professionally made. Honestly think it makes a good connection to the city i think, think it will hit a lot of people who really take pride in living in melbourne or it might just get some neutral or undecided supporters across

Just as a melbourne supporter alone it makes me feel a sense in pride that we are lucky enough to carry the name

I felt it's one of the best we have done in years in terms of quality, i mean last years with the guy walking in and sitting down to a computer to sign up was pretty bland but this one felt pretty professionally made. Honestly think it makes a good connection to the city i think, think it will hit a lot of people who really take pride in living in melbourne or it might just get some neutral or undecided supporters across

Just as a melbourne supporter alone it makes me feel a sense in pride that we are lucky enough to carry the name

I think its a good move for trying to attract people that aren't already supporting a club (new comers to Melbourne). If you move to a new country, a new city and want to follow this new game who will you choose? The team that has the name of that city (as long as they get in first) with this sort of marketing and a few more wins on the board I think the band wagon could start to fill up... even if its full of people new to the game I wouldn't be complaining!

I think its a good move for trying to attract people that aren't already supporting a club (new comers to Melbourne). If you move to a new country, a new city and want to follow this new game who will you choose? The team that has the name of that city (as long as they get in first) with this sort of marketing and a few more wins on the board I think the band wagon could start to fill up... even if its full of people new to the game I wouldn't be complaining!
The bandwagon needs some work before we start to fill it, trust me.

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/big-max-a-true-demon-believer-20160318-gnls9z.html

Great write up on big Maxxy. Laughed out loud where he says Clinton King was his favorite childhood player.
Was literally about to post this. Liked the part when he talked about his early days at the club, his comments on his first perception on Jones was interesting. pretty entertaining article as you'd expect with big max, really offers insight into his character and the club as well

The bandwagon needs some work before we start to fill it, trust me.

Oh yeah its definitely a work in progress. Im talking medium term rather that short term here.

Article about a Paul Roos presser on the AFL website that is a vintage media beat up. The title of the article is 'Roos' Giant Forecast: Melbourne Coach Sees Demons-GWS Grand Final Within Five Years.'

The actual quote?

"In an ideal world, you might see Melbourne playing the Giants for a premiership in the next three to five years."

Paul Roos has been busy in the media lately, with that article on the AFL website on it's way, most of it is sourced from the press conference he held this morning

Source: DeeTV youtube channel (official youtube channel for Melbourne)

There was also an article written by Jon Ralph where he speaks with Paul Roos that featured in today's HS and was published online last night
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/2c3a157c1214896d427d29f660dcafb9
Source: Herald Sun Website - Author: Jon Ralph

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Article about a Paul Roos presser on the AFL website that is a vintage media beat up. The title of the article is 'Roos' Giant Forecast: Melbourne Coach Sees Demons-GWS Grand Final Within Five Years.'

The actual quote?

"In an ideal world, you might see Melbourne playing the Giants for a premiership in the next three to five years."

On AFL Tonight (garbage show that is good for background only), I overheard "find out after the break which perennial struggler is talking premierships" :rolleyes: Knew immediately who it was given they had referred to us as the "perennial struggler" just the week before.

They then played the story with the old favourite caption: "Time to exorcise the demons". Should've popped the champagne to commemorate the hundredth time that one has been given a run.

Need to hurry up and make finals to put an end to the media's indifference outside of the odd pat on the head.

Vince on gameday this morning

Edit: N Jones will be on the sunday footy show too at 11:30am

Last edited:
So basically the reason why i wanted to create this thread is really to log everything melbourne does in the media. ....
Our board has long standing ''The media....*Nods Head*' and ' The media....*Shakes Head*' threads which works for us. They aren't stickied but most regular posters know of and use them. Of course it takes regular reminders from mods to take subjects raised there to more appropriate threads e.g. you'd expect a lot of +ve articles about Jack Watts this week and links etc would be posted there, but discussion on him (rather than the media reporting on him) would go to the relevant thread.

Last edited:
Our board has long standing ''The media....*Nods Head*' and ' The media....*Shakes Head*' threads which works for us. They aren't stickied but most regular posters know of and use them. Of course it takes regular reminders from mods to take subjects raised there to more appropriate threads e.g. you'd expect a lot of +ve articles about Jack Watts this week and links etc would be posted there, but discussion on him (rather than the media reporting on him) would go to the relevant thread.
Positive Jack Watts article? This already sounds like a bad idea.

I would've gone for "The media....*glove slap*" and "The media....*pelvic thrust*"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back