News Melbourne International Film Festival - Collingwood: From The Inside Out

Remove this Banner Ad

Really identified with Adam Treloar after this. We come from the same side of the tracks and also I get performance anxiety.

You know when I first saw him coming out of the race that day I thought to myself what the hell he looks like he has just been bawling his eyes out. And he was... his eyes were raw from tears... really gives you a different perspective on these tough footballers who we think have no feelings. They are all more emotional than me...

Really enjoyed watching the doco with so much access and not glossing things over.

It really shows the human side to footy clubs even at the elite level that we as fans don't really put a lot of thought about.

It is good for us to be reminded that we don't see it all and our judgement on players is usually not based on reality or fair.

I found it pretty emotional.

A real good watch that, so confronting seeing Blair’s career end on camera, but hat off to him for agreeing to televise it.
Respect to Bucks too and I totally share the sentiment of that Eagles letter read out. Collingwood, the supporters in general and even Eddie showed true class and sportsmanship in defeat last year and it turned me from a hater to an admirer.
If (when) we don’t make the GF this year I’ll be going for you mob and I never thought I’d ever say that a year back. Great club Collingwood, Respect.
Good luck

A real good watch that, so confronting seeing Blair’s career end on camera, but hat off to him for agreeing to televise it.
Respect to Bucks too and I totally share the sentiment of that Eagles letter read out. Collingwood, the supporters in general and even Eddie showed true class and sportsmanship in defeat last year and it turned me from a hater to an admirer.
If (when) we don’t make the GF this year I’ll be going for you mob and I never thought I’d ever say that a year back. Great club Collingwood, Respect.
Good luck

Blair taught me that everyone has to try really hard to bite their tongue when they are given the arse. :p

Apologies for the intrusion but massive respects to the club and the players.
No need to apologise mate. Thank you.
A few weeks prior to the Grand Final, I promised my girlfriend, a West Coast FC member, I would accompany her to the Eagles Club Champion awards night. Following the GF, I was dreading the evening. But I was pleasantly surprised. During the entire evening and all the speeches, there was no chest beating or rubbing Collingwood’s nose in our loss. Everyone was very gracious and classy in victory. Perhaps the highlight of the night was speaking to Willie Rioli when he had a photo taken with my girlfriend. I told him I was a Collingwood supporter and how he had broken my heart the week earlier. You know what? He immediately and sincerely apologised. He said he was so sorry, he really felt for Bucks especially because his father and Bucks are quite close and go back a long way from in the Darwin days. Rioli was more concerned with being empathetic than being excited about being a Premiership player.
Not only do you have a beauty of a player on your hands Astro35, Willie is a very gracious, caring human being.

Yeah he did ok imo , emotions would be off the charts, so much history, hard work, dedication and source of income ends there and then.

He was verging on tears, and wanted to spill his frustrations but wisely he didn't, he handled it as well as could be expected and controlled himself. Which is good because he will always be an important part of the football club being a premiership player makes you a Collingwood legend for life.

I got home from work at 3am and even though I’m spent, decided to watch the recording now rather than wait until the morning, I’m glad I did.

I ******* love this footy club, always have and always will. The first part when Nathan Buckley was talking about how “it’s gonna *in hurt” and how he didn’t know how to lead them was really raw and hit home hard. He’s come such a long way, it’s so clear to see now how he’s changed his approach and he and the playing group are prospering as a result.

Overall, such a great insight into the club and the best part of it was definitely how the film maker highlighted the human element of the players. We get so caught up in results and performances that sometimes we forget that they’re humans who struggle with emotion and expectation just like us. It’s too simple to say that just because it’s their job or that’s what they get paid to do that they’re always going to execute things perfectly. It goes without saying most of us here can honestly say we’re not always hitting our peak at work every day and we still get paid, luckily for us we just don’t get written about or scrutinised by every man and his dog when we’re having an off day.

I wanted us to win the flag for my own satisfaction, but now I want us to win it for the players satisfaction and I’ll take extra joy out of seeing that :hearteyes: Go Pies!

Last edited:
The Blair exit meeting was brutal - very uncomfortable viewing. Although the fact that he was able to let his frustrations out, be pi**ed off, have a vent, and then get up and shake the hand of his coach and put his arms around him speaks volumes of his character. One of the nicest and most genuine footballers I've ever had the pleasure of meeting - hope he's doing well.

I’ve always been a little surprised and intrigued that footy club delistings are so terminal.

Of course it’s not fun to lose your source of income, but I’d imagine that the much bigger hit is the feeling of loss of being part of the esprit-de-corps ...

... and is it really necessary that that ends? Why don’t footy clubs provide ongoing support, an association for their ex-players? Sure, there is an ex-Collingwood-players-association, but I mean one that is organized within the walls of the club to provide them support? Even after a player is delisted, society still recognizes them as a Collingwood player? (Albeit former)

Maybe clubs in their wisdom feel it’s better for the players to have a clean cut? Maybe there are characters that they really don’t want to have hanging around the joint any more and it’s best to just cast everyone off once they exit?

... and is it really necessary that that ends? Why don’t footy clubs provide ongoing support, an association for their ex-players? Sure, there is an ex-Collingwood-players-association, but I mean one that is organized within the walls of the club to provide them support? Even after a player is delisted, society still recognizes them as a Collingwood player? (Albeit former)
Really good point and it's something broader society could be better at too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im back down under tomorrow - any chance it’s showing again on ABC any time soon
Available to stream online

Available to stream online

Champion, I’ll watch this before I head to the G on Friday.

* I love this club.

If I didn't support Collingwood, I'd still have considered this a beautifully made and revealing documentary. It painted the human story behind Collingwood's 2018 success in the most poignant way possible. I found it riveting and my respect for Buckley as a coach went through the roof. How anyone could whinge about a lack of a narrative or say it's average is beyond comprehension. The documentary gives the kind of insight into the players and club of which supporters can only dream. Every aspect of the documentary's production oozed class and depth. I was fighting tears throughout the doco. God I hope we somehow win the premiership and vindicate the emotional investment of the players and coaching staff. Jarryd Blair, if I ever said a negative word about you I retract it. And Grundy must never be lost to another club. He totally represents the Collingwood I have come to love.
My father in law was a player, member and committee man for the northern Victorian footy club of Cohuna for nearly 60 years. The commitment and love of club and community shown by clubmen such as he is the very lifeblood of every sporting organization. The big names fill up the upper echelons of the board and the major sponsors take up the headlines but it the servants of the club - most often completely unheralded that take a quiet contentment about giving their time and best efforts over many years that give heart and soul to it.

I know from many long talks with him the emotional and physical commitment that so many within clubs bring and the how the clubs value that internally.

A presentation such as this is a rare glimpse into the often small but deeply felt undisclosed triumphs and tragedies that only those committed to serving the club get to see.

Anyone attempting to trivialize it has obviously never served or known someone who has served a sporting club who knew that tragedy and triumph, and most certainly are the poorer for it.

It was an emotional roller coaster last night, and I couldn't stop watching. Was glued to my seat.

But I can look back now on one scene and have a bit of a giggle: Bucks using the analogy of 'kintsugi', the ancient Japanese art of repairing broken pots or ceramics, so that they look more beautiful after being fixed and showing their cracks and repairs, than when they were 'whole'. I love Japanese ceramics and have a small collection (but no 'kintsugi' pots) and to see Bucks talking about them was - to say the least - a bit different.

The other ancient Japanese art of 'wabi sabi' might be next on the agenda, which is the acceptance of imperfection and finding beaty in decline and decay. Not sure how 'wabi sabi' will help our premiership tilt, but who knows? :oops:

This club never ceases to surprise and amaze me, but mostly in good ways.

The Blair story shows you exactly why you shouldn't bag out players with disrespectful terms like "spud" etc. The guy has always busted his gut for the club and it means (meant) so much to him to be part of it. He's a premiership hero and always will be.

Other interesting points:

1. Grundy feeling lonely and like a complete outsider when he first came over, then essentially saying that it took him four years to feel comfortable. You can see his growth and he looks painted on now to me.

2. That the injury to Treloar actually helped him overcome his mental demons and crippling anxiety. Being out injured gave him focus and made him miss playing the game that he loves. What a triumph and what a quality guy. The insights into his background were interesting.

3. Bucks, what can I say? I don't think I've seen another person grow so much before my eyes. What a great leader he now is. I'd die to play under a coach/leader like him.

It was an emotional roller coaster last night, and I couldn't stop watching. Was glued to my seat.

But I can look back now on one scene and have a bit of a giggle: Bucks using the analogy of 'kintsugi', the ancient Japanese art of repairing broken pots or ceramics, so that they look more beautiful after being fixed and showing their cracks and repairs, than when they were 'whole'. I love Japanese ceramics and have a small collection (but no 'kintsugi' pots) and to see Bucks talking about them was - to say the least - a bit different.

The other ancient Japanese art of 'wabi sabi' might be next on the agenda, which is the acceptance of imperfection and finding beaty in decline and decay. Not sure how 'wabi sabi' will help our premiership tilt, but who knows? :oops:

This club never ceases to surprise and amaze me, but mostly in good ways.

This was actually a highlight for me. I thought it was a beautiful metaphor for the season.

I reckon prior to 2018, our narrative was that we were unlucky because of injuries and that was the main excuse why we weren't making finals.

In 2018, we seemed to draw a line in the sand and say that injuries will not define us. We were going to make the most of each situation, and make each individual player in the club a better person, and someone who can step in to do the role as required.

That pottery analogy reinforced this point, and confirms that the club not only stopped using injuries as an excuse...but actually embraced the challenges to drive it towards bigger and better things.

We are in a similar position this year. Whatever the 22 that runs out of Friday night, these guys have an amazing opportunity to do something special. We can harp over who is missing, who is underdone, what we are going to do with our structure....but in the end, we just need to make the most of the players at our disposal and embrace the opportunity.

The Blair story shows you exactly why you shouldn't bag out players with disrespectful terms like "spud" etc. The guy has always busted his gut for the club and it means (meant) so much to him to be part of it. He's a premiership hero and always will be.

Other interesting points:

1. Grundy feeling lonely and like a complete outsider when he first came over, then essentially saying that it took him four years to feel comfortable. You can see his growth and he looks painted on now to me.

2. That the injury to Treloar actually helped him overcome his mental demons and crippling anxiety. Being out injured gave him focus and made him miss playing the game that he loves. What a triumph and what a quality guy. The insights into his background were interesting.

3. Bucks, what can I say? I don't think I've seen another person grow so much before my eyes. What a great leader he now is. I'd die to play under a coach/leader like him.

Looking back, you have to wonder whether the pressure and tension in Adam's body led to such a horrific double hamstring injury. I have read a few articles this week about how Darcy Moore's mental anxiety probably makes him more tense, which actually makes a hamstring injury more likely. Adam was definitely carrying a lot of tension. I've never seen a player rip 2 hamstring before at the same time.

I've never really appreciated how the off-field can impact the on-field. I've always brushed off things like if a player is having a rough time personally. A doco like this really shows how big the off-field stuff is. A players mental space, support and the work-place environment are such huge factors.

The Doco seems to highlight that the club probably relaxed on the technical stuff, and focused on the cultural stuff. A happier environment led to better results.

It just goes to show how over-analysed this game is sometimes. Get 22 blokes that are happy and want to play for the jumper, the coach and the fans, and you're already on the way.

I'm not crying... You are!

Big moments for this:

- When Ace Buckley is crying after the Grand Final loss.
- When Jett Buckley jumps into his Dad's arms after the prelim win.
- Murray :'( RIP
- The Big Freeze slide
- Thinking about how many times i've bagged Adzy for his kicking and being part of the problem.
- Blairy (God damn this board was cruel to him)
- The "I don't know how to lead you" speech
- The reading of the letter
- Brodie's emotion after the prelim win

God damn I was a mess last night LOL

Funny - that doco made me feel like footy matters less AND more at the same time.

Interesting in the context of bagging out on our medicos that those same people managed to rehab Ads in a 10 week period from BOTH TENDONS RIPPED NEARLY OFF THE BONE to fully healed and finals ready. Testify!

Messaged Shane (who is the club designer and now part of the Game Day crew) and he said that's his mates who made the doco and they specifically wanted to capture the distinct personality of those chosen. They did a superb job and can't thank them enough.

This is 10x better than any of those ESPN docos purely for the rawness, access and honesty.

Big moments for this:

- When Ace Buckley is crying after the Grand Final loss.
- When Jett Buckley jumps into his Dad's arms after the prelim win.
- Murray :'( RIP
- The Big Freeze slide
- Thinking about how many times i've bagged Adzy for his kicking and being part of the problem.
- Blairy (God damn this board was cruel to him)
- The "I don't know how to lead you" speech
- The reading of the letter
- Brodie's emotion after the prelim win

God damn I was a mess last night LOL
I am glad you stayed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back