News Melbourne International Film Festival - Collingwood: From The Inside Out

Remove this Banner Ad

It was an emotional roller coaster last night, and I couldn't stop watching. Was glued to my seat.

But I can look back now on one scene and have a bit of a giggle: Bucks using the analogy of 'kintsugi', the ancient Japanese art of repairing broken pots or ceramics, so that they look more beautiful after being fixed and showing their cracks and repairs, than when they were 'whole'. I love Japanese ceramics and have a small collection (but no 'kintsugi' pots) and to see Bucks talking about them was - to say the least - a bit different.

The other ancient Japanese art of 'wabi sabi' might be next on the agenda, which is the acceptance of imperfection and finding beaty in decline and decay. Not sure how 'wabi sabi' will help our premiership tilt, but who knows? :oops:

This club never ceases to surprise and amaze me, but mostly in good ways.
And it's great with sushi!

No need to apologise mate. Thank you.
A few weeks prior to the Grand Final, I promised my girlfriend, a West Coast FC member, I would accompany her to the Eagles Club Champion awards night. Following the GF, I was dreading the evening. But I was pleasantly surprised. During the entire evening and all the speeches, there was no chest beating or rubbing Collingwood’s nose in our loss. Everyone was very gracious and classy in victory. Perhaps the highlight of the night was speaking to Willie Rioli when he had a photo taken with my girlfriend. I told him I was a Collingwood supporter and how he had broken my heart the week earlier. You know what? He immediately and sincerely apologised. He said he was so sorry, he really felt for Bucks especially because his father and Bucks are quite close and go back a long way from in the Darwin days. Rioli was more concerned with being empathetic than being excited about being a Premiership player.
Not only do you have a beauty of a player on your hands Astro35, Willie is a very gracious, caring human being.

After the game walking in the streets and in a few bars I was surprised with lack of abuse we got and quite a bit of congratulations from the obviously disappointed Pies fans. And similarly WCE fans not rubbing it in to Pies fans.

Modern footy can be a demanding beast, and the doco shows the way in which players and coaches can struggle with things, but I'm proud to see that our club is doing a good job of holding onto its humanity.

There were many things in there which gave me better insight, many things I liked, but what I liked most was the strength of Buckley to look steadfastly into the camera and to concede that --after being part of four lost Grand Finals-- he might not in fact possess the secret of success. Mockers will continue to mock, but he stands there happy with who he is and happy to be part of something bigger than himself, and I feel happier knowing that he's our coach.

Everyone knew it was Coming

I mean ... imagine if it were a player not really expecting to be cut and is the unlucky one who happens to be out of contract at the wrong time or is the type of person with no filter in what they say.

I am sure with some players the already difficult conversation is very awkward. Blair's is probably as comfortable as it gets (understandably).

Blair taught me that everyone has to try really hard to bite their tongue when they are given the arse. :p
3/4 of the way through the season he knew he was basically a depth player in case we had injuries but kept showing up and doing the work. Hats off to you Blairy,
150 game player for the club and 2010 premiership player.

Interesting that the game Treloar did the double hammy he was emotionally and mentally shot. He probably shouldn't have played. But then it looks like the injury recovery gave him the break he needed and a mental resolve that he might not have otherwise gained :think:

My father in law was a player, member and committee man for the northern Victorian footy club of Cohuna for nearly 60 years. The commitment and love of club and community shown by clubmen such as he is the very lifeblood of every sporting organization. The big names fill up the upper echelons of the board and the major sponsors take up the headlines but it the servants of the club - most often completely unheralded that take a quiet contentment about giving their time and best efforts over many years that give heart and soul to it.

I know from many long talks with him the emotional and physical commitment that so many within clubs bring and the how the clubs value that internally.

A presentation such as this is a rare glimpse into the often small but deeply felt undisclosed triumphs and tragedies that only those committed to serving the club get to see.

Anyone attempting to trivialize it has obviously never served or known someone who has served a sporting club who knew that tragedy and triumph, and most certainly are the poorer for it.

Every club, even professional, would fall apart without its volunteers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking back, you have to wonder whether the pressure and tension in Adam's body led to such a horrific double hamstring injury. I have read a few articles this week about how Darcy Moore's mental anxiety probably makes him more tense, which actually makes a hamstring injury more likely. Adam was definitely carrying a lot of tension. I've never seen a player rip 2 hamstring before at the same time.

I've never really appreciated how the off-field can impact the on-field. I've always brushed off things like if a player is having a rough time personally. A doco like this really shows how big the off-field stuff is. A players mental space, support and the work-place environment are such huge factors.

The Doco seems to highlight that the club probably relaxed on the technical stuff, and focused on the cultural stuff. A happier environment led to better results.

It just goes to show how over-analysed this game is sometimes. Get 22 blokes that are happy and want to play for the jumper, the coach and the fans, and you're already on the way.

Treloar was just trying to run faster than his little legs could take him and got shoved at full stretch. Twang!

3/4 of the way through the season he knew he was basically a depth player in case we had injuries but kept showing up and doing the work. Hats off to you Blairy,
150 game player for the club and 2010 premiership player.

Could say exactly the same about Goldsack this year. It says a lot about the pair of them that being probably the least talented from that premiership team they hung on longer on the list that nearly all of them.

It's sad when your premiership players go. They add an experience to the list you can't buy.

I remember when the last 1990 premiership player dropped off and we had no-one who had been there and done it left, it leaves a big hole to crawl out of.

I think the last to go might have been Crosisca and Brown, correct me if I'm wrong, I probably am, I'm guessing.

Could say exactly the same about Goldsack this year. It says a lot about the pair of them that being probably the least talented from that premiership team they hung on longer on the list that nearly all of them.

It's sad when your premiership players go. They add an experience to the list you can't buy.

I remember when the last 1990 premiership player dropped off and we had no-one who had been there and done it left, it leaves a big hole to crawl out of.

I think the last to go might have been Crosisca and Brown, correct me if I'm wrong, I probably am, I'm guessing.
Think you could be right. Speaking of players getting the best out of themselves, from the 1990 team, Mick Gayfer is a standout. He retired in 93.

In 95, he was playing for Tatura but working in town, so he trained with Old Xavs during the week. At training, he just looked pretty ordinary. Was in superb shape as always, but he was a lesser kick than most there, and just looked ungainly. As he always did. But he did hit his targets.

The hidden message of him playing 140-odd games and a flag, yet looked ordinary training amongst ammo players, was not lost on many.

After the game walking in the streets and in a few bars I was surprised with lack of abuse we got and quite a bit of congratulations from the obviously disappointed Pies fans. And similarly WCE fans not rubbing it in to Pies fans.
Yep, the whole day was done right from both sets of supporters. That evening I was shouted several beers from WCE fans simply because I was still wearing the gear and must’ve looked quite glum!

Tears still coming to my eyes just thinking about the doco. My son and I had tears running down our faces in the last 5 minutes...Side by Side.

In a wierd way it helped give us both closure to what we lived through last year.

Inspirational. I've never loved our Club more.

P.S. Grundy will be a Pie for life. 100%.

i was watching the doco last night. It's on the ABC's iview. I must admit that I found it a little underwelming. I think Treloar's admission on 360 a few weeks back, took the steam out of his mental health issues. We've already heard a lot about buckley. Blair's issues were well known and Brodie was pretty much Brodie. I'm not kidding here but the biggest impression on me was de goey's joke ( technically at least ) about 5 minus 4. I stopped for a minute and thought about the difficulties of mixing jordies with brodies and try to build one united team.

Think you could be right. Speaking of players getting the best out of themselves, from the 1990 team, Mick Gayfer is a standout. He retired in 93.

In 95, he was playing for Tatura but working in town, so he trained with Old Xavs during the week. At training, he just looked pretty ordinary. Was in superb shape as always, but he was a lesser kick than most there, and just looked ungainly. As he always did. But he did hit his targets.

The hidden message of him playing 140-odd games and a flag, yet looked ordinary training amongst ammo players, was not lost on many.

Love those type of players who make it on blood, sweat and tears without much natural ability. They are easier to identify with than outrageously talented stars who are just blessed with what most of us couldn't dream of.

1990 was full of blue collar, honest players.

i was watching the doco last night. It's on the ABC's iview. I must admit that I found it a little underwelming. I think Treloar's admission on 360 a few weeks back, took the steam out of his mental health issues. We've already heard a lot about buckley. Blair's issues were well known and Brodie was pretty much Brodie. I'm not kidding here but the biggest impression on me was de goey's joke ( technically at least ) about 5 minus 4. I stopped for a minute and thought about the difficulties of mixing jordies with brodies and try to build one united team.

Nah I was shocked at how emotional all of them actually get. It's clearly more than a job to them. They are more passionate about it than us. And they are vulnerable as hell, still just very young men, but somehow when they cross that line they become warriors for a couple of hours. It was eye opening seeing them reduced to ordinary, flawed humans with their emotions on their sleeve.

This was a great doco not just because it was Collingwood but the timing was right and they picked great subjects. It should be remembered and watched years later like year of the dogs. I think any footy fan would get quite a bit out of it.

Nah I was shocked at how emotional all of them actually get. It's clearly more than a job to them. They are more passionate about it than us. And they are vulnerable as hell, still just very young men, but somehow when they cross that line they become warriors for a couple of hours. It was eye opening seeing them reduced to ordinary, flawed humans with their emotions on their sleeve.

This was a great doco not just because it was Collingwood but the timing was right and they picked great subjects. It should be remembered and watched years later like year of the dogs. I think any footy fan would get quite a bit out of it.

"They are more passionate about it than us". Is this news?

On a side note, I believe the release of this doco has been brilliantly orchestrated by Eddie. To broadcast it prior to a Prelim final is genius. I believe he would have been behind it.

Think about it..

Mark, I think you’re a hard man to please. Underwhelming? Come on, surely you got more out of it than just De GOAT’s joke, even though I laughed at that too...

On a side note, I believe the release of this doco has been brilliantly orchestrated by Eddie. To broadcast it prior to a Prelim final is genius. I believe he would have been behind it.

Think about it..

Mark, I think you’re a hard man to please. Underwhelming? Come on, surely you got more out of it than just De GOAT’s joke, even though I laughed at that too...

Prelm? Its before the Qualifying Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back