Science/Environment Melbourne is a garbage wasteland

Remove this Banner Ad

Tokyo was near spotless, especially given it's one of the largest urban agglomerations in the world.
Japan is a mixed bag, Tokyo is not reflective of the rest of the country.

Rural areas or smaller cities can be strikingly poor or grimly industrial. In general orderliness is a larger part of Japanese culture, but the decay and decrepitude or clutter there can be striking in some regions. It also doesn't help that many cities have an extremely ageing population.

Let me put it this way, Osaka is not much cleaner than Melbourne and in some areas way way worse. It's also far more aged and rundown in parts. But they do manage the cities density strikingly well.

Melbourne has and always will have an element of grime, but it's surprisingly clean compared to most other major cities, even in the developed world.

Japan is a mixed bag, Tokyo is not reflective of the rest of the country.

Rural areas or smaller cities can be strikingly poor or grimly industrial. In general orderliness is a larger part of Japanese culture, but the decay and decrepitude or clutter there can be striking in some regions. It also doesn't help that many cities have an extremely ageing population.

Let me put it this way, Osaka is not much cleaner than Melbourne and in some areas way way worse. It's also far more aged and rundown in parts. But they do manage the cities density strikingly well.

Melbourne has and always will have an element of grime, but it's surprisingly clean compared to most other major cities, even in the developed world.

No doubt, I didn't really get out into the rural areas and Osaka was certainly noticeably dirtier but given the respective sizes and population densities of Tokyo and Osaka they are spotless. And this is done without having a rubbish bin on every second corner.

No doubt, I didn't really get out into the rural areas and Osaka was certainly noticeably dirtier but given the respective sizes and population densities of Tokyo and Osaka they are spotless. And this is done without having a rubbish bin on every second corner.
They actually do, the rubbish bins are out the front of the conbinis. Something people don't notice when they first get there.

If you get out into the suburbs of Osaka, you will probably see a level of poverty and grime in some suburbs that doesn't exist in Australia.

I used to live near Namba, but in close by suburbs, it's pretty run down. Garbage stacked up on the street, extremely run down infrastructure, looooots of feral animals (cats) and a lot of people living rough.

Don't get me wrong, Japan is wonderful, but it's facing a lot of difficulties, and again whilst people generally take very good care, it's not as spotless and well maintained away from the busy areas. Even then, the back streets of Amemura and Shinsaibashi, or other entertainment districts are as grimy as their Melbourne equivalents.

If you travel there, by road or away from key shopping districts, you get a much fuller and sometimes quite sad picture of another side of Japan.

But, remember, density can pose challenges but it's actually good for municipal governmemts looking to deliver services, due to a high concentration of rate payers.

Melbourne's rundown look is part of it's charm, just as is the extremely lived in 70's style concrete and power line look of say Tokyo, or more grim utilitarian Osaka.

It's actually pretty clean compared to everywhere else.

The problem with Melbourne as Pauline Hanson would say is Indian, muslim and Asian migration. This has single handedly destroyed Melbourne. Jobs are much harder to get and stay in long term, houses in certain pockets skyrocket overnight, and you can't drive/access anywhere due to too many people.

doyle will clean up like rudy guliani, if not him, we will get john so back.

He is cooked. I remember hearing stories ten years ago about him. He earned the name "fish fingers" for his activities at a restaurant in Chinatown.

He is cooked. I remember hearing stories ten years ago about him. He earned the name "fish fingers" for his activities at a restaurant in Chinatown.

#sumplings or #dumplings[typo]
#yum_cha #dim_sum #chikito_roll

are we talking the dragon boat, or the geelong guy. melbourne grammar be happy they saw the back of him :D he was slated to be the next headmaster to the other geelong guy who was a cricketer. something about the wasp schools, they attract asberger types and roebuck types, if there was one good argument to steer clear of the proddos

#sumplings or #dumplings[typo]
#yum_cha #dim_sum #chikito_roll

are we talking the dragon boat, or the geelong guy. melbourne grammar be happy they saw the back of him :D he was slated to be the next headmaster to the other geelong guy who was a cricketer. something about the wasp schools, they attract asberger types and roebuck types, if there was one good argument to steer clear of the proddos
It's going to be ok.
John "Sammy" Newman is going to take over......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back