Autopsy Melbourne just a tad to good.

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree and have made no secret my thoughts on the mids. I'm inclined to give them a pass today due to the circumstances.

Papley being out and Rowbottom spending most of the day at half forward robbed us of arguably our two best clearance mids. Parker looks hampered, and Mills was going great until he went more defensive to try and nullify Petracca (to no avail.)

So I actually thought all things considered they did a bloody good job to be as competitive in the middle as we were and this was one time I wasn't too miffed by a 4th quarter midfield capitulation.

It's no doubt a big problem overall though for sure.
Your inclined to give them a pass???!!! You do know your opinions are often wrong and meaningless
I thought you wanted to trade Rowbottom?
You are aware that Parker was the leading clearance player in the game?

Unfortunately I think the result reinforced to me that we are just not at the level of the best 5 sides. I think we're in the same league as GWS and the Saints but the other finalists I think have been and are more well-rounded than us as legitimate finals sides.

Melbourne's efficiency in their tackling really stood out to me across the game. We are a free-moving offensive side with a penchant for very strong pressure but we really struggled to move the ball effectively around the Dees' defensive pressure. They don't seem a massive side man for man, but they are strong and very well-drilled defensively. May and Lever controlled the defensive 50 and the inexperience of Logan, McLean and Amartey showed. They'll be better for it and I thought Logan had his moments finding space in the first half but overall, those two excellent defenders set Melbourne up and we couldn't move the ball effectively after midway through the 3rd quarter because Melbourne so dominated field position and shut down our rebound. More experience for those three will help us to maintain our forward presence up front when we lose field position too. Not having Papley there hurt in that respect as probably our most vocal forward organiser. We had chances in front of goal but they weren't taken and Melbourne did what a very good team should do and punish the lesser side.

Curious to get people's thought on swearing at the footy.

In my usual seat up in the Trumper yesterday and when Wicks gave away the 50 after a few minutes, the Dees fan next to me - probably late 20's - called him a "dirty C***" pretty loudly. I told him to watch his language and he told me to settle down because "we're at the footy".

I mentioned there were children within earshot and that he didn't need to carry on that way. He mumbled something under his breath but then quietened down and the rest of the game passed without incident.

So what say you? Personally, the language doesn't bother me but I thought he was a bit over the top, especially with families around.

In my usual seat up in the Trumper yesterday and when Wicks gave away the 50 after a few minutes, the Dees fan next to me - probably late 20's - called him a "dirty C***" pretty loudly. I told him to watch his language and he told me to settle down because "we're at the footy".

I mentioned there were children within earshot and that he didn't need to carry on that way. He mumbled something under his breath but then quietened down and the rest of the game passed without incident.

So what say you? Personally, the language doesn't bother me but I thought he was a bit over the top, especially with families around.

That seems a fair thing for you to intervene with to me. Swearing generally I don't mind if it's done in a way that is less screaming out at the field and more confined to the person's general area as a means of communicating frustration. If a guy is screaming it out for everyone to hear, that's a bit much particularly with kids around. The modelling that goes on to kids at the footy can be pretty deplorable.

I can appreciate getting carried away but you're right, there are kids around and it shouldn't be on. Glad the guy quietened down after you called him out on it

Personally, I think terms like “bald headed flog” and “dirty white maggot” are part of footy & I have no issues with them.

In fact, I wish Sydney crowds would get a bit more fired up when we’re getting pineappled by umps - as we lack the “sound of validation” factor that Vic, SA and WA clubs benefit from.

But if it’s just vile use of the c-word, thats different & you were right to ask them to tone it down.

That seems a fair thing for you to intervene with to me. Swearing generally I don't mind if it's done in a way that is less screaming out at the field and more confined to the person's general area as a means of communicating frustration. If a guy is screaming it out for everyone to hear, that's a bit much particularly with kids around. The modelling that goes on to kids at the footy can be pretty deplorable.
I was in the pub swearing at Wicks , dumb pric

Stephens , Campbell etc get discussed rightly so

But Luke Parker got 2 touches in the 4th quarter 1 was a turnover

Last week in the 4th v Adelaide he also got 2 touches, no turnovers I guess.

5 in the last quarter v essendon wowie- 2 turnovers though

We can bang on about the peripheral guys and who we can shuffle in and out. But if the so called a grade star skipper goes missing when it matters what do you expect?

He was atrocious under pressure and should wear a massive part of the blame for the fade outs. All I read is he must be carrying something while the discussion is over which kid to ditch.

If he cant contribute then he shouldn't play

The team rely on Gulden a lot

Cunningham handballed to him while he was laying on his back at one stage

I think this is really true. His running power and skill are enormous and the team actively look for him at every opportunity. He's yet to play 65 games and turned 21 last month. He's something very special, this kid. Obviously projecting way down the line, but at this rate he's on track to develop into one of the best Swans ever. He'll be a co-captain soon enough, probably in the next 3-4 years, I've got no doubt.

I think this is really true. His running power and skill are enormous and the team actively look for him at every opportunity. He's yet to play 65 games and turned 21 last month. He's something very special, this kid. Obviously projecting way down the line, but at this rate he's on track to develop into one of the best Swans ever. He'll be a co-captain soon enough, probably in the next 3-4 years, I've got no doubt.

Many might disagree but I think Rampe should just play his last years- can still be a leader .

I'd have Gulden replace him as skipper

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can bang on about the peripheral guys and who we can shuffle in and out. But if the so called a grade star skipper goes missing when it matters what do you expect?

He was atrocious under pressure and should wear a massive part of the blame for the fade outs. All I read is he must be carrying something while the discussion is over which kid to ditch.

It saddens me to say it, but he looked slow and out of breath yesterday.

I guess McInerney missing didn’t help with loadsharing.

I don’t think it’s clear that we’re a particularly talented side?

I think there's a lot of talent out there , Amartey though is good case study, lot of talent and some strong attributes, but means nothing without the workrate and fitness.

I think we are talented enough to beat Carlton though in theory

I could never see us doing something like this, but I think Parker could be an ideal sub candidate.

Just coming in for one quarter at the end and going all out in the middle.

We don't seem to have any strategy at all with the sub.

Many might disagree but I think Rampe should just play his last years- can still be a leader .

I reckon it's very possible Rampe gives up the captaincy after this year and Parker and Mills stay on as co-captains. Probably a little early for Gulden and he'll have a lot of eyes on him next year already without taking on captaincy requirements.

Current leadership group is those three, Bud, Hayward, Heeney, Lloyd, and Papley. Bud is gone and then I doubt any of the other four will be elevated to captaincy to replace Rampe should he give it up. I'd suspect Gulden will go into the leadership group to replace Bud though. Then guys like Rowbottom, Blakey, McCartin would be looking at going into the leadership group soon. I'd even suspect someone like McLean (if he stays) would be looking at future leadership roles.

Yeah, but Melbourne, Geelong and WBD didn't back up after their wins/runs.

You lose an extra week or two of running before Christmas and get extra fatigue. It's a factor
Having never been anything even resembling an elite athlete I'll have to take other people's word for this but I do find it really hard to believe that a couple of weeks almost 12 months ago can have such an impact now.

One Captain is all we need for another couple of years and that is still Mills. Forget this year as he has had the injury issues and also has not been allowed to settle into that permanent mid role he was fast becoming topline at last year. Gulden then to join him or take over himself. Errol is already having the Paul Kelly pedigree written all over him with his follow me boys approach to his footy.

Hayward is generally playing on the oppositions best intercept marker in defence.

He did a super job defensively on Jake Lever who had minimal impact on the game.

Rushed a few possessions offensively especially that really poor skied snap late in the game when a handball would have been a better option.

But you need to view his game in totality and what appears to be a defensive slant to his game as a forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back