Autopsy Melbourne just a tad to good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hayward again did nothing
You watched a different game then - at the ground it was obvious what his role was. Play as a defensive forward against Lever and impact his ability in defence. And he did a bang up job.

One Captain is all we need for another couple of years and that is still Mills. Forget this year as he has had the injury issues and also has not been allowed to settle into that permanent mid role he was fast becoming topline at last year. Gulden then to join him or take over himself. Errol is already having the Paul Kelly pedigree written all over him with his follow me boys approach to his footy.

Oh hey if we can ditch the bs shared captaincy then I agree Mills all the way, Gulden next.

Mills was excellent yesterday as a leader unlike the other two

You watched a different game then - at the ground it was obvious what his role was. Play as a defensive forward against Lever and impact his ability in defence. And he did a bang up job.

Yep agree from tv he did that role

I don't agree with the role he was asked to
play, but that's not his fault

Amartey just runs out of legs and stops leading up at the ball, Francis would have done that. We need blokes to present up and give marking options to get us out of defense and the forwards just look cooked by the 4th quarter lately.
amartey is coming back from a slight hammy strain. He will be much better for the run.

Tactic of the game

Here Melbourne here is my arm now tackle it.

Unusual to get done three times trying the fend
our tackles got them but they had arms free to handball. Not an ideal way to tackle. They threw the ball and that scoop by Pickett was just bloody unbelievable that ray did not pick up. Then he gives a free against Fox right in front of goal. so many throws, dropped ball, scoops etc. I don't think Viney got a fist to and so called handball all match. He just threw it knowing he would get away with it. circa 2016 Dogs.

Says a lot when we have 2 defensive forwards, 1 pressure forward, 6 defensive backmen and 2 defensive mids. Plus the wings often spend a lot of time behind the ball

I think our drop in performance this year to last is embodied by our performances against Melbourne this year.

In our two fourth quarters against Melbourne in 2022, we scored 6.4 to their 1.5. This year it's been 3.5 to their 11.7.

We were also +8 in clearances and +1 in centre clearances in our two games against Melbourne in 2022. This year we've been -5 in clearances and -2 in centre clearances.

Our performances against Melbourne last year were seen as real watershed moments for our group and arguably our best of last season. This year they've just been too good for us without really improving much themselves.

Realistically we’re not making or winning a Grand Final from 8th as much as that is my ultimate hope.

So in thinking what I wouldn’t mind happening if we can’t win it was that Melbourne won it.

However, that was only if Jake Melksham was playing so he could stick it up his own team mate in May who hung s**t in him for not being good enough to make the side when they won it. Doubly I say it as he was a decent guy to a mate that was drunk on a footy trip and the bombers were in the same venue. He looked after him whilst he was badly smashed and even gave him his mobile number the next day.

But….now that little side thing seems over with his injury at 32

So back to just dreaming about a Swans fairy tale but one the AFL isn’t
Designing.

I think the Swans went in with a pretty solid plan Mills to shut down Oliver and Hayward to negate Lever.

But the inaccuracy monster returns and for all the hard work you are basically also fighting against yourself with your head dropping at every miss.

Moments in that match felt like we were in it up to our eyeballs with a little bit of delusions of grandeur going on. Trying to fend off a tackle when the first option was on and inexplicably kicking without looking or a casual handball directly to a Melbourne player.

There was enough to say that on our best day we can match it with the best but plenty to also suggest we are making up the numbers.

Better to be looking forward to finals
though than waiting for mad Monday images.

I think our drop in performance this year to last is embodied by our performances against Melbourne this year.

In our two fourth quarters against Melbourne in 2022, we scored 6.4 to their 1.5. This year it's been 3.5 to their 11.7.

We were also +8 in clearances and +1 in centre clearances in our two games against Melbourne in 2022. This year we've been -5 in clearances and -2 in centre clearances.

Our performances against Melbourne last year were seen as real watershed moments for our group and arguably our best of last season. This year they've just been too good for us without really improving much themselves.
We won the clearance at beginning of 3rd quarter - and the impact was obvious. Then the Dees kicked up a gear.

Let's give credit where credit is due also, Petracca was just too good around the ground and we just bounced off him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When we started winning the ball out of the middle in the third we looked a class above. I don't know if it's a ruck issue, and inside mid issue, or both, but if we sort it out this offseason we're going to be competing for top 4 again next year.
it's too few going through the midfield. Without Papley we were one short. Errol had to play wing, mids & half forward. Asking a lot. I saw plenty of times when he was shot because he had rune the whole length of the field taking the ball three times. by the time the last 5-10 minutes of quarters came along our mids were stuffed. In the last they just had no go at all. We have not been fit enough all season, very obvious by all the soft tissue injuries we have had. But the lack of mids rotation does us in every time we lose a mid/forward like Paps. Sheldrick & Roberts spending plenty of time injured has not helped.

I don't think we will go much further then week 1 of the finals. We might beat Saints but to do that we would need to get Paps back and have Amartey in tip top condition. The week off will help. The ruck issue is very concerning. When everything was on the line Hicks was flagging. I thought McLean should have gone straight in to relieve him at about the 10 minute mark of the last. Gawn was getting far too much of the ball & too many tap outs.

It was annoying that Longmire seemed so pleased with the performance in the presser. He repeatedly emphasised how good we were up until the 4th quarter (which he presented almost as an afterthought), but it’s nonsense! Apart from that 15-20 minute period in the 3rd, we were just fighting to keep our heads above water all game. We had to fight hard for every score, while Melbourne made everything look easy. Every time it seemed we were in ascendancy, they’d waltz up the field and kick a goal out of nothing. I thought it was a disappointing game in general, even apart from the shocking last qtr. Melbourne always had our measure, in a game that didn’t matter to them at all.

Unfortunately, it confirmed we’re just not good enough this season. I had dared to hope after our little run, but we’re honestly nowhere near it. And the way we repeatedly just lie down in the 4th is infuriating and unacceptable.

I don't think we will go much further then week 1 of the finals. We might beat Saints.

We definitely would’ve had a chance against Saints, but we’re not playing them. It’s now Carlton at the MCG, which seems like too hard a task for a team as soft as us. It will take something truly special to make it to the second week. We haven’t won at the MCG all season, and I heard that we have never defeated Carlton there.

Says a lot when we have 2 defensive forwards, 1 pressure forward, 6 defensive backmen and 2 defensive mids. Plus the wings often spend a lot of time behind the ball

Exactly. The negative numbers and mind set increased with Mills trying to curtail Petracca. It is the mindset that bothers me most. The fitness stuff being the supposed cause of Q4 disasters is bunkum. It is in players minds, reinforced by the roles and tactics they are assigned.

I only watched on telly but I remain puzzled by Clarke’s role. 9 hand passes and clearlyHorse has directed him to not kick the ball in any circumstances. Iirc he had one tackle and from what I observed had no influence.

18 folks are on the ground. Each needs to be capable and entrusted with turning defence into attack. Yesterday we had Errol and Mills for three quarters.

I knew we were done at 3/4time as we lacked a 30 point lead. The last quarter went to time honoured script and was not cranky. The Dees were more talented, better coached and enjoy a positive mindset.

Based on our 4th quarter form and the season as a whole, we're just making up the numbers.

But finals are all about form and momentum so if we can somehow knock over Carlton, then you never know how far we will progress.

At least that's what I'm telling myself now......

it's too few going through the midfield. Without Papley we were one short. Errol had to play wing, mids & half forward. Asking a lot. I saw plenty of times when he was shot because he had rune the whole length of the field taking the ball three times. by the time the last 5-10 minutes of quarters came along our mids were stuffed. In the last they just had no go at all. We have not been fit enough all season, very obvious by all the soft tissue injuries we have had. But the lack of mids rotation does us in every time we lose a mid/forward like Paps. Sheldrick & Roberts spending plenty of time injured has not helped.

I don't think we will go much further then week 1 of the finals. We might beat Saints but to do that we would need to get Paps back and have Amartey in tip top condition. The week off will help. The ruck issue is very concerning. When everything was on the line Hicks was flagging. I thought McLean should have gone straight in to relieve him at about the 10 minute mark of the last. Gawn was getting far too much of the ball & too many tap outs.
Agree very much with that last. I was yelling (inside) for that to happen almost from the beginning of the last quarter. I love Hick but Gawn was dominating him.

Comparing this season to last year is totally different and pointless. Last year we had nearly the best intercept marker in the game in P McCartin as well as Buddy Franklin and Sam Reid up front.
Apart from the shorter pre-season the injuries to players such as Rampe/McCartin x 2, Hickey, Ladhams, Reid, Buddy, McInerny etc has meant a loss of fitness and reduced ability to run out games. We've still done better than last years winners, Richmond who brought in big players in trades, Adelaide etc

We won the clearance at beginning of 3rd quarter - and the impact was obvious. Then the Dees kicked up a gear.

Let's give credit where credit is due also, Petracca was just too good around the ground and we just bounced off him.
Absolutely. I also thought they set up so ridiculously well as a unit to limit our kick-pass game. Just a very good side so we needed to be at our best and we weren't at our best often enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back