Autopsy Melbourne just a tad to good.

Remove this Banner Ad

There needs to be a thread on here called False Prophecies, where we share our calls that aged like milk. I'd probably need an entirely separate board for mine!

I remember saying Serong would be better than Stephens :p

One bad call was thinking Craig Bird would be better than Kieran Jack

I think Heeney and Hayward are good marking targets anyway.

But I suspect Horse is locked into the 3 tall forwards and a ruck.

He will also play only 3 of Rampe , Mccartin, Fox , Francis, Melican

Francis would get a look in forward if a tall got injured .

He won't deviate off any set strategy imo and that's why he is about to lose another final as coach
Why would he deviate from the current forward structure though? In all seriousness what forward line has been better than ours over the last three seasons? Geelong's, maybe Brisbane's, maybe Richmond's. That's about it.

Why would he deviate from the current forward structure though? In all seriousness what forward line has been better than ours over the last three seasons? Geelong's, maybe Brisbane's, maybe Richmond's. That's about it.
I think it's important to remember that if you pick 3 talls you get very few minutes of all three on the ground together.
Tall one 80%
Tall two 80%
Tall three 60% (20% rucking)
Total 220% = 2.2
Only 20% to maybe a maximum of 33% of the time you have three talls on the field.
Picking two talls, one of whom is the backup ruck, half the time you are playing with one tall. Too easy to double team.
I'm with Horse on this as long as the talls work hard without the ball.

I don't see any high contact there. How is that 50-50? It was a decent tackle. Even if his head did hit the ground, I don't get what Warner was supposed to do. Not tackle him? Let him skip away? It's nonsense.

Unbeliavable they're comparing that to Weitering's clear and intentional eye gouge. I don't think that one is 50-50 either. He'd be suspended for that in any sport.
On SEN news they report Weitering potentially has a problem with a scuffle involving Toby Greene…..a scuffle….ffs, he has an issue with an eye gouge. I guarantee if the roles were reversed, Greene would be looking at 6 weeks and Melbourne media would be outraged.

You watched a different game then - at the ground it was obvious what his role was. Play as a defensive forward against Lever and impact his ability in defence. And he did a bang up job.
His only knock was some ordinary ball use. This is the problem here, people don’t considers roles, Just disposals.

On SEN news they report Weitering potentially has a problem with a scuffle involving Toby Greene…..a scuffle….ffs, he has an issue with an eye gouge. I guarantee if the roles were reversed, Greene would be looking at 6 weeks and Melbourne media would be outraged.
Because he has form for eye gouging and being a pest in general? * Toby he has a bad rep because he deserves it.

I think if we have Papley then Petracca has less influence.

For next year.

I think Sheldrick is going to make a big difference in the mids

It looks like McKay is coming to us. We will now have Tommy & Ben as our tall defenders. Add Arnold, Francis as extras and that is a far better mix.

We need to clear out all the 3rd rate players. As much as Clarke tries and is a big contributor in effort, he just doesn't have the skill or awareness at this level.

Melican is on the radar of several other clubs looking for back up key backs.

Stephens is probably gone as there seems to be no movement on his contract. I thought he was good yesterday

It looks like Gould is gone. But will probably make a good career at the Crows lol

Peter Ladhams is a worry and I'm not sure he gets another contract McAndrew and May as back ups and a top ruck to come in trade period.

Reid has not announced his retirement but I can't see where he fits in at his age.

Bud is gone so that opens a spot

I think Owen is gone

They will have to make decisions on Magor, Sheather, Mitchell & Edwards. Sheather spends his time in the recovery ward. Mitchell lacks that finness needed at AFL level, a very basic type. Magor is a good player and has adapted well to the back role. Edwards was a project and maybe he is not quite going to make it at AFL level. A good VFL player.

Corey Warner & Jussie Macca are our speedsters without Stephens. But we need more speed. Cleary can give us a little of that. But we will need some outside speed to help those guys in case of injury.

Our list needs to be cleaned of all players that are obviously just plodders. We need to have 30 players who can walk in and do a job

Because he has form for eye gouging and being a pest in general? * Toby he has a bad rep because he deserves it.
Ummmm, OK , I guess that makes it right……ffs.

For next year.

It looks like McKay is coming to us. We will now have Tommy & Ben as our tall defenders. Add Arnold, Francis as extras and that is a far better mix.

We need to clear out all the 3rd rate players. As much as Clarke tries and is a big contributor in effort, he just doesn't have the skill or awareness at this level.

Stephens is probably gone as there seems to be no movement on his contract. I thought he was good yesterday

It looks like Gould is gone. But will probably make a good career at the Crows lol

Peter Ladhams is a worry and I'm not sure he gets another contract McAndrew and May as back ups and a top ruck to come in trade period.

Reid has not announced his retirement but I can't see where he fits in at his age.

I think Owen is gone

They will have to make decisions on Magor, Sheather, Mitchell & Edwards. Sheather spends his time in the recovery ward. Mitchell lacks that finness needed at AFL level, a very basic type. Magor is a good player and has adapted well to the back role. Edwards was a project and maybe he is not quite going to make it at AFL level. A good VFL player.

Corey Warner & Jussie Macca are our speedsters without Stephens. But we need more speed. Cleary can give us a little of that. But we will need some outside speed to help those guys in case of injury.

Our list needs to be cleaned of all players that are obviously just plodders. We need to have 30 players who can walk in and do a job
I think the Ruck issue is our biggest concern….Do we scour the VFLSANFL/WAFL ETC to find something?

Hardly an eye gouge when watched in normal speed. Freeze frame paints it bad but it’s really a nothing thing. Toby was playing it up for a free kick reversal. Same as Warner sling tackle nothing in that luckily. Both will and should be free to play.

For next year.

I think Owen is gone

Mitchell is contracted, unfair criticism given injury disruptions.

If McKay joins, then great, he joins TMac, Rampe, potentially Melican as players with reliability concerns over the next few years. He also joins Francis and Arnold as players that may/may not be good enough to hold down a spot at a good level.

For next year.

I think Owen is gone

Agree with a lot of that except:
Clarke is on the edge and a lot depends on what we think of others. He might stay or he might go.
Reid IF FIT is still a good player worthy of a list spot. That's the question. IF FIT another year.
Mitchell will most likely stay. He's a strong, quick player.
Edwards is low risk and low cost and still has potential. Think he's more likely to stay but he will take time.
Cleary is more in and under than a break away unit but will be a good acquisition.

Thought we lost it with obviously trac going nuts but also their back 6 won more crucial 50/50 contests against our forwards imo. We weren't able to generate enough stoppages or wins in those contests. We've been pretty good in this area during our good run. It's also crucial as we've got a turnover gameplan, so when we create the turnovers from our pressure then our forwards must win those contests. I don't think this sort of gameplan is changing as it's got us good results but also we don't have a ruck who can give us first use on a consistent basis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If one of the cogs isn't working?

I think a pretty key part of the last 3 years is missing now

Hardly an eye gouge when watched in normal speed. Freeze frame paints it bad but it’s really a nothing thing. Toby was playing it up for a free kick reversal. Same as Warner sling tackle nothing in that luckily. Both will and should be free to play.
Settle with the unessecary contact with the eye…..$3k fine deserved.

I wonder whether we might be better going with a smaller forward line? McLean, Logan, Heeney, Hayward, Wicks and Papley with Parker rotating through? Would allow us to keep both Stephens and JMac in the same lineup, give us a bit more run.
This makes a lot of sense, however Horse sticks to the 3 talls very stringently. Even going as far as playing Francis up forward v Crows on a wet night.

For mine, Heeney plays tall in any case. I like a lot of what you are proposing. We lack run in the 4th too.

This makes a lot of sense, however Horse sticks to the 3 talls very stringently. Even going as far as playing Francis up forward v Crows on a wet night.

For mine, Heeney plays tall in any case. I like a lot of what you are proposing. We lack run in the 4th too.
I'm optimistic about Buller. His work rate at VFL level is fantastic. Unless we have an injury, I don't see him getting picked in this final series but I'm confident he will be challenging next year.

Not even worth a fine IMO but guess it satisfies the outraged to some degree.
Hands don’t belong near players eyes, it’s pretty simple.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back