Universal Love Melbourne memories

Remove this Banner Ad

Neitz playing on one leg in Neale Daniher's last game in the second half vs Essendon, refusing to come off #ThatsMyCaptain .. fantastic game even though we lost, 6 goals down at 1/4 time, we lifted for Neale big time on the back of the skipper. Scott Lucas goal in the last 30 seconds winning Essendon the game :(

Edit: was even earlier than I remembered, in the second quarter, Neitz couldn't run or kick properly on did his right coz he did his hammy I think (pretty sure he missed the next 3 or 4 weeks) so was kicking nearly everything on his left. #realman

That finish broke my heart as a kid. Amazing comeback but such a s**t end to the game.

Most inspiring bit of captains play that ive ever seen from a Melbourne skipper

Was at this game. You could literally hear the crunch of the contest from a fair distance. Nietz is still up there for one of the most underrated players in the game. Unfortunately he played around the same time as some gun forwards in the game.

Hello Dee's fans.

Hope this is the right spot for this, apologies if not.

Have been going through the personal items of a recently passed relative who was a big Dee's fanatic.

Found these two pics that seem to be originals, seen in The Argus newspaper (discontinued in 1957).

Wondering if anyone can please identify the two blokes coming off the ground. I thought it best to come to the experts.

Hope the pics bring some smiles the historians among you.
4ea66e4043f6aba03838d38df45f4d14.jpg
d8b0d5348a58bffdda00698fedc396a3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hello Dee's fans.

Have been going through the personal items of a recently passed relative who was a big Dee's fanatic.

Found these two pics that seem to be originals, seen in The Argus newspaper (discontinued in 1957).

Wondering if anyone can please identify the two blokes coming off the ground. I thought it best to come to the experts.

Supermercado probably your guy

Hello Dee's fans.

Norm smith looks so young , Barrassi too . Before my time

Hello Dee's fans.

This photo in particular is awesome.

What are people's fond memories of:

Stephen Powell
Aaron Davey
David Schwarz

?

🤗

Stephen Powell
Aaron Davey
David Schwarz

?

🤗

Powell, 2000 prelim vs Norf, 30 something touches and 4 goals.
Davey, defensive pressure in general, too many times to name where he tackled or smothered in some clutch situation to keep us in a game or help us win it.
Schwarz, 94, 9 goals vs the Swans to get us in the finals. Epic games against the Blues and Dogs in finals. Best 3 week patch ive ever seen from a Dees KPF.

Stephen Powell
Aaron Davey
David Schwarz

?

🤗
Davey's goal out of midair against Brisbane at the Gabba. I think that was when we sold them one of our home games?

David Schwarz running around Carlton Defenders in the '00 QF with Dennis Cometti's call "A NIMBLE OX"

Stephen Powell
Aaron Davey
David Schwarz

?

🤗

Byron Pickett?

Burying Kane Cornes in the turf on the HFF on the Warne stand side. Such a lovely FAIR tackle.

Davey kicked a ripper goal in our ~50 point comeback against Fremantle. Sold candy to about three players and then dobbed it from 50.

The 19 people there absolutely loved it.
That day everyone had a bay to themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stephen Powell
Aaron Davey
David Schwarz

?

🤗
Powell - early 2002 we played the Weagles at Princes Park, he had 35 disposals and kicked 3 goals. I just remember him being a hard bastard and was pretty shattered when he left/missed the entire 2001 season.

Davey - the electric atmosphere when he was about to charge down some hapless oppo defender. Was super quick particularly in early 2004.

Schwarz - Round 19, 1994 v Essendon - 17 kicks 4 handballs 14 marks and 5.2 - he was the best player on the park that day as we trounced those campaigners.
Round 19, 1998 v Carlton - he was a completely different player but still kicked 6.1 in an important win.

Davey kicked a ripper goal in our ~50 point comeback against Fremantle. Sold candy to about three players and then dobbed it from 50.

The 19 people there absolutely loved it.
GOTY in my book
Within The context of the game, massive comeback baulked 2 players, 50m out.

I was there that day, my father put his arms over my shoulder, looked down at me In the eye and apologiesed to me for subjecting to this life. "I'm sorry Sam". That was a vivid young footy moment, at 13 years old.

Last edited:
Davey - the electric atmosphere when he was about to charge down some hapless oppo defender. Was super quick particularly in early 2004
Hate to say that I was there the day flash ripped his string' badly at Docklands.
Running up the Wing? (I think) sitting on my wing myself, the roof open.
Two Rows up from my father and I was an injured Clint Bizzell.
Wanted to so badly to go up to him to say hi or get a photo. As they say, never meet your hero's.

Did actually meet him in my 20's at a "Daniher Drive" event in the inception of Danhier Drive 8 years ago. Ripping bloke

Marcus Seecamp
Phil Read
Jeff Hilton

Loved Jeff Hilton. Very handy player, I remember him kicking 4 in round 1 when we flogged Geelong in 94 IIRC. One of the nicest blokes when I met the entire team down at my local golf course as a kid too. (Lyon and Stynes were flogs)

Seecamp, belting that Carlton player at 3/4 time at princess park and calling him soft as he laid there on the ground.

Read was a decent pick up for a bloke who was delisted, very serviceable for us, liked the challenge of tagging and annoying an opposition gun.

Last edited:
Loved Jeff Hilton. Very handy player, I remember him kicking 4 in round 1 when we flogged Geelong in 94 IIRC. One of the nicest blokes when I met the entire team down at my local golf course as a kid too. (Lyon and Stynes were flogs)

Seecamp, belting that Carlton player at 3/4 time at princess park and calling him soft as he laid there on the ground.

Read was a decent pick up for a bloke who was delisted, very serviceable for us, liked the challenge of tagging and annoying an opposition gun.
Could see Gary Being a flog, but Jim Surprise's me.

Brad Pearce.

I was at the ground and it just looked like Seecamp upper cut him in the chin for no reason.

It wasn’t until I saw the replay later that you see Pearce give him a tap to the tummy and Seekers responded with what could be classified as excessive force.

Was trying to find Melbourne vs Geelong in 2001 when bizzell kicked what looked like a match winner but was actually touched off the boot. The same day freo got their first win for the season against Hawthorn at the Docklands.

Considering the big freeze coming up, this is still one of my favourite moments.

Seeing Daniher racing down pumping his fist brings a tear to my eye.

This one is still probably my favourite ever day at the footy. Could only have been pipped by the GF had I been there.

This one went ok too. From memory he kicked a last minute goal and then went back and marked on the goal line to beat GC the week after or before this one too. Really thought he had arrived.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back