Universal Love Melbourne memories

Remove this Banner Ad

Final round 2015 we played GWS at docklands in front of 7000 people. We actually played pretty well that day and I actually left the game feeling somewhat optimistic about our future even though we were still a long way off. Was the first time in a long time I had been hopeful for the future.

Ben Newton kicked 3 goals too!
Crossy got knocked out cold and insisted on coming back to the bench to soak it in for his last game. Loved that *er. A little bit before we knew about the CTE stuff though.

This one is still probably my favourite ever day at the footy. Could only have been pipped by the GF had I been there.

This one went ok too. From memory he kicked a last minute goal and then went back and marked on the goal line to beat GC the week after or before this one too. Really thought he had arrived.

I think the 2017 version off watts would be handy in this team, not as a forward but on the wing. I didn't mind watts but getting Fritsch is a big win.

(Lyon and Stynes were flogs)
Waiting for a tram next to Garry and some school kid hit him up for 50 cents to buy a drink. Gaz told him to * off. Thats my favourite Lyon memory.

Stynes did a thing at my high school, getting kids to talk about feelings or whatever. I remember thinking how cool my dad would think it was when I told him Stynes visited my school, but Jim didn’t even bother speaking: he brought some reserves players in from hawthorn to do the talking instead, whole room was like what the f are these dudes? Life coaching from a bunch of hacks who couldn’t even make a rubbish Hawthorn side. Thanks Jim.

Later Stynes walked around and did a tour of the school, really loving all the attention he was getting, looked very pleased with himself. Chuffed he was.

I never heard of hilton, seechamp or read sorry.

Waiting for a tram next to Garry and some school kid hit him up for 50 cents to buy a drink. Gaz told him to * off. Thats my favourite Lyon memory.

Stynes did a thing at my high school, getting kids to talk about feelings or whatever. I remember thinking how cool my dad would think it was when I told him Stynes visited my school, but Jim didn’t even bother speaking: he brought some reserves players in from hawthorn to do the talking instead, whole room was like what the f are these dudes? Life coaching from a bunch of hacks who couldn’t even make a rubbish Hawthorn side. Thanks Jim.

Later Stynes walked around and did a tour of the school, really loving all the attention he was getting, looked very pleased with himself. Chuffed he was.

I never heard of hilton, seechamp or read sorry.

Stynes and Lyon were just arrogant campaigners. Could tell them had no time for any members of the public, even kids.

Jeff Hilton I liked to refer to as a Dimmeys Stephan Tingay, had the same 90s grunge blonde hair, wore #22 instead of #2, but wasn't as skilful or as good looking as Stinger :tearsofjoy: , still loved him though.

Seecamp came over to Melbourne from Fitzroy, could play numerous roles in defense, very quick for his size IIRC, was an above average player.

The incident im talking about below....Love the thumbnail, Seecamp calling him a weak dog and telling him to get up. :tearsofjoy:

Stynes and Lyon were just arrogant campaigners. Could tell them had no time for any members of the public, even kids.

Jeff Hilton I liked to refer to as a Dimmeys Stephan Tingay, had the same 90s grunge blonde hair, wore #22 instead of #2, but wasn't as skilful or as good looking as Stinger :tearsofjoy: , still loved him though.

Seecamp came over to Melbourne from Fitzroy, could play numerous roles in defense, very quick for his size IIRC, was an above average player.

The incident im talking about below....Love the thumbnail, Seecamp calling him a weak dog and telling him to get up. :tearsofjoy:

Back when Straya was still Straya

As the great fable of Peter Pan opens … “It all happened once and it will all happen again.”

Last edited:

15 all, play on !!!

Went to get autographs for me and my little bro after a game in 94.

Lyon was a campaigner. "bet you'll go and sell it off now" *I was 13.

Jim was ******* lovely (not doubting you, this was just my experience) son that's a Neitz card" I had panicked and given him the wrong card to sign. So in my collection I have a half signed David Neitz card by Jimmy.

he then signed cards for me and my bro and was friendly.

Hilton was very nice briefly, then his GF chatted with me for a bit, she was bogan AF and every third word was a swearing but very nice.

I'm pretty sure this was after the dogs final and we only lasted this long in an area we shouldn't have been in because I think Balme had fallen for my mum for a minute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure I've written this before so apologies in advance, but...

I was the mascot for the '94 prelim in Perth. I was 6. Got massively overhwlemed and didn't want to do it and travelling emergency Glenn Molloy got around me and talked me back into it. Dean Irving yelled at me to hurry the * up running through the banner. I ran with the Febey twins and they were great.

Pretty sure I've written this before so apologies in advance, but...

I was the mascot for the '94 prelim in Perth. I was 6. Got massively overhwlemed and didn't want to do it and travelling emergency Glenn Molloy got around me and talked me back into it. Dean Irving yelled at me to hurry the * up running through the banner. I ran with the Febey twins and they were great.
Fair enough too it's a prelim, get outta the way

Dean Irving was super nice to me when I met him. Funny how we've had some different experiences. Catching different players on their period.

TBF I'd probably be the type of player who'd be a grouchy * to members of the public, but I'd at least try and put on a happy face for kids. Would never go full Garry Lyon.

Strawbs O'Dwyer's Mrs was my teacher in primary school in grade 2. He was a nice bloke. Would come out and have a kick with us at lunch time when visiting his Mrs.

Growing up I loved Jeff White. After a win the family went to a club function and I was very keen to get White to sign my jumper. My Dad put me on his shoulders to look for him.

Someone from the club magazine saw me and thought it would be a nice little photo op. They grabbed Cameron Bruce and had him take a photo with me.

Afterwards he tried to have a chat but I couldn't give two shits, I just wanted to meet my hero and I left him there and wandered off embarrassing my whole family.

So apparently Cameron Bruce was really nice but I wouldn't know about it myself. Didn't even find White. :(

Strawbs O'Dwyer's Mrs was my teacher in primary school in grade 2. He was a nice bloke. Would come out and have a kick with us at lunch time when visiting his Mrs.
Wonder if she ever saw that clip of him asking for girls to come to the function after some promotional game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back