Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Eh. If she feels seriously violated by naked pictures of her being circulated around, I would suggest she tries keeping her clothes on. Haven't seen the photos and didn't pay much attention to the hubbub at the time, but there seems a sure-fire method of prevention for this problem here. Not condoning what old mate did, by the way.
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say? Are you telling me if a girl decides to make a sex tape with her partner, and that partner then shows it to his mates without her permission, that she should just suck it up because she made the tape? I'm not quite understanding your point. This girl obviously posed for this photo and thought the photo was going to be just for this Broad guy. So how can she be in the wrong? I don't get it.

What she did might have been a little silly, bit what he did was illegal and wrong on so many levels. If the AFL want to get involved(which personally I don't feel they should) then to consider this a 3 week offence is so weak..

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say? Are you telling me if a girl decides to make a sex tape with her partner, and that partner then shows it to his mates without her permission, that she should just suck it up because she made the tape? I'm not quite understanding your point. This girl obviously posed for this photo and thought the photo was going to be just for this Broad guy. So how can she be in the wrong? I don't get it.

What she did might have been a little silly, bit what he did was illegal and wrong on so many levels. If the AFL want to get involved(which personally I don't feel they should) then to consider this a 3 week offence is so weak..

Not precisely "suck it up", but if you don't want naked photos or sex tapes getting out and around, I'd suggest not posing nude / making them. Fairly straightforward point I would have thought.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Not precisely "suck it up", but if you don't want naked photos or sex tapes getting out and around, I'd suggest not posing nude / making them. Fairly straightforward point I would have thought.

It's just another part of our generation where know one is responsible for any of their own actions.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's all starts at grass root footy.
Footy club culture is shocking.
Let's see how many chick we can bang and how much booze we can scull.
No way are my kids playing Aussie rules or rugby league
Sorry to intrude... don't normally.
This is so far off the mark though. There are some clubs with poor cultures. Most though, are amazing places with amazing cultures full of people - men and woman, who help, support, encourage and inspire.

Local footy helped me develop into the person I am today and I've seen many kids come through the club and grow and develop in ways they never would have had an opportunity to without the foot club culture.

In addition to all that we've done sessions on alcohol and drug abuse, respect towards woman, gambling and racial attitudes. Local footy drives a lot of the awesome things the AFL takes on. AFLW is a local footy initiative, that the AFL jumped on board with because of how well it was doing, not the other way around.

Local footy clubs are amazing places with sensational cultures. Don't let the crap you read in the Herald Sun fool you.

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
This is so far off the mark though. There are some clubs with poor cultures. Most though, are amazing places with amazing cultures full of people - men and woman, who help, support, encourage and inspire.

Local footy helped me develop into the person I am today and I've seen many kids come through the club and grow and develop in ways they never would have had an opportunity to without the foot club culture.

In addition to all that we've done sessions on alcohol and drug abuse, respect towards woman, gambling and racial attitudes. Local footy drives a lot of the awesome things the AFL takes on. AFLW is a local footy initiative, that the AFL jumped on board with because of how well it was doing, not the other way around.

Local footy clubs are amazing places with sensational cultures. Don't let the crap you read in the Herald Sun fool you.
Glad you’ve had such a good experience but I guarantee you many clubs are far less progressive.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Glad you’ve had such a good experience but I guarantee you many clubs are far less progressive.

Do you have issues with sports clubs or just some people at them?

Also, why do sports clubs have to be "progressive"? Pretty sure I'd be happy with my local tennis club just providing the opportunity to play tennis. That's what you sign up for, after all.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Don't want to divert your thread (nothing worse than opposition posters talking off topic in threads - especially when it's about a negative issue), just saw that post and had to comment so I'll make this my last one...

It's a shame that you've had negative experiences, but I've dealt with a lot of clubs and apart from the odd club the cultures have been great - a long way from what they were when I started playing. On the whole footy clubs are terrific places, for all ages and genders.

As an aside, one earlier poster mentioned that having a female club helps a clubs culture - not always true. One of the few clubs I've had a negative experience at (and by negative it has a drinking culture, not much else) was one that had a women's team as part of the club start 8-9 years ago.

I guess I'll leave with an example of what I'm talking about...
2 brothers came to my club from the Murray. Didn't know many people. Started struggling for money, bills weren't getting paid and power was switched off. One of the blokes on my team found out when he went over to their house - gave them cutlery and plates etc that he had been given for his engagement, took their electricity bill from the fridge and paid it to help them get their head above water. Didn't ask for anything back, and only a handful of people know, so wasn't after recognition within the club.
Obviously this is an extreme example, but this kind of goodwill and mateship is common place at local footy clubs across the state.

Rockford

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 22, 2006
Halls Head
AFL Club
Geelong

Can’t agree. This is approaching the moral equivalent of telling a person to dress more conservatively if they doesn’t want to get sexually assaulted.

The onus is not on the victim to adapt their actions given the potential for them to be exploited. They should be allowed to act, within reason, how they wish with the assumption that a crime won’t be committed against them.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Can’t agree. This is approaching the moral equivalent of telling a person to dress more conservatively if they doesn’t want to get sexually assaulted.

The onus is not on the victim to adapt their actions given the potential for them to be exploited. They should be allowed to act, within reason, how they wish with the assumption that a crime won’t be committed against them.

That's fine, you don't have to agree, but I don't see your analogy as being particularly relevant. I think its daft to completely absolve one party of responsibility though when they could have avoided / prevented something. Sexual assault =/= sharing naked photos. On the one hand you have non-consensual sex, and on the other you have two consenting adults doing something which one of them then shares. If a girl provides compromising pictures to a stranger or someone she doesn't know very well and they go on and send them out to the world, then she's a victim and also an idiot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
The young lady chose not to take him to court. Why then should the AFL clubs decide they are a better enforcer of the law
I agree with this. The fact it was a footballer really shouldn't come into the equation. We need to start viewing footballers as members of the public, if criminal charges were not pursued then there really isn't a place for the AFL to step in just to puff out their chest.

He was acquitted by Victoria Police, so why does the AFL need to punish him? The law has concluded his done nothing wrong? Did he bring the game into disrepute? No.

Unnecessary and not appropriate.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne

I can't believe people actually need to be educated about alcohol and drug abuse, not to mention sexual assault. It should be mandatory for people to learn these things themselves out of having basic respect for yourself and others.

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne

Been associated with a few, and id say this is a very optimistic point of view.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I can't believe people actually need to be educated about alcohol and drug abuse, not to mention sexual assault. It should be mandatory for people to learn these things themselves out of having basic respect for yourself and others.
You'd think so, but with negative perceptions comes perceived action.

It's just another part of our generation where know one is responsible for any of their own actions.
Shouldn't the person responsible be the one who has done the wrong thing?

The person who has indeed been held accountable for his own actions in this case.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Shouldn't the person responsible be the one who has done the wrong thing?

The person who has indeed been held accountable for his own actions in this case.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Do you lock your house when you leave it and no one else is home?
Do you lock your car?
Do you leave your wallet, phone, laptop, etc lying around in public and wander off?

Same principle. You're not the one who has done the wrong thing, but if you didn't want your s**t stolen then I have a few suggestions for you.

Rockford

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 22, 2006
Halls Head
AFL Club
Geelong
Do you lock your car?
Do you leave your wallet, phone, laptop, etc lying around in public and wander off?

Same principle. You're not the one who has done the wrong thing, but if you didn't want your s**t stolen then I have a few suggestions for you.

What would you recommend the young lady who has accused the Melbourne player of sexual assault have done differently? If you're going to apply the "same principle" attitude to the Broad photo incident as you are to a break-and-enter then surely you have an opinion on what she should do differently next time. It's victim blaming, plain and simple.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
What would you recommend the young lady who has accused the Melbourne player of sexual assault have done differently? If you're going to apply the "same principle" attitude to the Broad photo incident as you are to a break-and-enter then surely you have an opinion on what she should do differently next time. It's victim blaming, plain and simple.

I think his suggestion is don't allow people to stick a phone camera in front of you without clothes on...
He's not victim blaming either, not once did he say broad was not guilty so stop trying to turn this into something it isn't.

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well hopefully Bomber Thompson and Harley Bennell have put this off the front page for the offseason.
Pretty much, this is yesterdays news now. Unfortunately at our expense. Tell you what though, if Bennell took on 5 security guards, he's defitnely ready for an inside mid role in 2018.

Matera is superior #3

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Pretty much, this is yesterdays news now. Unfortunately at our expense. Tell you what though, if Bennell took on 5 security guards, he's defitnely ready for an inside mid role in 2018.

Matera is superior #3

I hope u blokes don't give up on bennell. He's loose but bloody hell can play footy

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Do you lock your car?

This is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back