Melbourne players approach AFLPA to have training camp cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Goody is Neeld dressed in sheep's clothing.

This disagreement on the commando camp, the premature demoting of Nathan Jones to vice captain, the shipping of Watts in the middle of his contract - they are all in my mind unnecessary actions that potentially lead to fractious outcomes.

Every time I think Goody has won me over it's things like this that bring me back to my initial skepticism about him.

Oh dear. Of all teams. What were the players thinking?

Just lucky they didn't pull out of a Kakoda walk.

I pity coaching staff. I'm sure it would have been fine.
What does it being Melbourne have to do with anything?

I'm pretty sure the players were thinking they didn't want to be put in a position that can lead to serious injury like two players suffered the year before. Tyson injured his knee and had a pretty average year as a result of missing the entire post Christmas preseason because of it, while Salem suffered yet another concussion that just didn't need to happen.

I'm more interested in what the coaches were thinking planning it again, from all reports, few players players were happy about it last year.

Salem didn’t pack his bag properly, it’s nobody’s fault but his for being a dopey prick. This is a pretty bad look for the club, didn’t the players once all call Bailey and cancel a training session when they weren’t in the mood?

In all seriousness: training is hard, and chrissy is a time for eating, drinking, and necking pills with your mates.

People call Melbourne "soft" but standing up to the coaches and saying: "the beach is too hot!" shows a great deal of courage and lateral thinking.

And we got rid of Watts for giving 100% :$:$:$

I think it was the sleep deprivation and psychological pressure aspects of the camp that they disagreed with the most.

I thought it was just Watts and Tyson, but obviously plenty of them were against it.

The pessimist in me says player revolt and that Goodwin is determined to sign his own death warrant. The moment he wanted Watts gone had me worried and this latest story adds further to my belief that he is losing the group at a rapid rate.

Its a shame if so, because I've been a backer of him, tactically i rate him, he's a proactive coach on game day.

Hopefully its nothing, but i can't say that I'm not worried.

Yeah people are going to say Melbourne are soft blah blah blah. But you can still put the hard yards in. You’d be better off doing Kokoda or something that is more of a team bonding experience than a hardcore military style camp. I’m sure it had its benefits but we don’t need more injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certainly is a s**t look for the club but I can see where the players are coming from here. There is a difference between a tough preseason and doing a program that is reserved for guys training to be in elite armed forces, not ******* football players.
I always thought of boot camp stuff overrated. Clubs can do a lot of pointless stuff at all levels I can understand something like altitude training but just let footballers be footballers.

Not a good look no matter which way you spin it and if KFC workers were being put through sleep deprivation camps no one would blink an eye lid.
Plus when you have Viney as captain the kid would take water boardings and lopped off fingers before he gave out selection news so it must be hard to say no to something

Still casts further doubt over Goodwin for mine. I feel he's more Nathan Buckley than Alastair Clarkson when it comes to player relationships.

You would have hoped that the leadership group would have ironed this issue out with the coaching staff, before the AFLPA was required to intervene. Surely there was a compromise which the players and coaches could have come to?

LOL!!! Just LOL!!! No wonder your going nowhere. You hired a Crows nuffy as your head coach. LOL!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not you again.

A general warning to random lurkers - if something ‘hilarious’ occurs to you and you decide it simply must be posted here, you have made the wrong decision and really should have gone for a walk or had a lie down instead.

Hopefully there is not a lot in it. I think Goody is a reasonable gameday coach so with any luck he hasn't alienated the players.

Hopefully there is not a lot in it. I think Goody is a reasonable gameday coach so with any luck he hasn't alienated the players.
It’s an alarming sign in any workplace where employees feel they need to approach the union though - tends to suggest that they don’t view their bosses as reasonable parties open to discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back