Melbourne players approach AFLPA to have training camp cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

Not hard to see why we are laughed at as a supporters group after reading some of these comments. Fair weather fliers.
Considering that our membership numbers didnt go into 4 digits at any point during the worst decade of football in the modern era, this comment is really just a self promoting "im a more hardcore supporter than you!"

See any memberships being burned? Most of this thread is a combination of vented frustration and applying rationality over a fawning fan boy zealot approach.

We arent essendon for gods sake!

How many of the teams that were in finals last year did a camp like this? Is it really essential that a team does a camp like this to be taken seriously? Could it be a sign of the team working and sticking together that they decided as a group this wasn't something that would benefit them?

The key point here (if true) though is that they went to the AFLPA instead of directly to the coaches. If they had all these convincing reasons and evidence that the camp wasn't going to be beneficial, why the need to go outside the club? If they had concerns about safety, those can be addressed without cancelling the camp. It's not a case of "believing everything you read" and there's nothing to get concerned about now because other than injuries there really is nothing to get concerned about at this time of year, but when the season starts and the players are still playing 2 good quarters out of 4, having trouble sticking to a game plan, playing like a rabble on more than the odd occasion... maybe the warning signs were there?

Yeah but they are an exceptional organization who accept nothing less than finals every year.
We just want to talk about how hard we wanna work.
I think the organisation is doing everything it can. It just seems we’ve managed to compile yet another group of players that doesn’t get it. Now obviously that is a very pessimistic view to take, based on minimal info, that unfairly tars the group with the lazy brush. I certainly hope it’s an incorrect hypothesis.

Actually last year they spent a good portion of the night time alone in sentry position, not allowed to sleep or sit, with people(not team members) creating noises and other situations to induce fear. There was no team building it was isolating and induced hallucination in a handful of players. The players finished the camp with blisters, scars and body strains that hampered their training for a few weeks and they were physically shattered.

How many of the teams that were in finals last year did a camp like this? Is it really essential that a team does a camp like this to be taken seriously? Could it be a sign of the team working and sticking together that they decided as a group this wasn't something that would benefit them?

Don't you love the way the media spins s**t, exaggerates, and many people just believes every word of it! The media also often leaves out important information that puts things in perspective too.

Melbourne Storm, do you take them seriously? I'm pretty certain they think the MFC is a joke, now there's irony for you

And what evidence is there to indicate that (a) it’s a high risk environment, or (b) there’s no obvious benefit?
Two major injuries would suggest to me that there is a risk involved, as for no obvious benefit I can’t think of any way in which the playing group were better off because of last years camp but I’m all ears if you have evidence to the contrary.

Two major injuries would suggest to me that there is a risk involved, as for no obvious benefit I can’t think of any way in which the playing group were better off because of last years camp but I’m all ears if you have evidence to the contrary.

Players get major injuries in standard training sessions, lets cancel them as well

Players get major injuries in standard training sessions, lets cancel them as well
Footballers training for football seems like a good idea to me but with that comes risk but a risk that can be outweighed by improving at your profession that of being a footballer.

Running up and down hills with bricks above your head with no obvious benefit not so clever.

I think the air filler is a big part of this. This is the deadest part of the footy year, so the media will amplify literally anything.

Not hard to see why we are laughed at as a supporters group after reading some of these comments. Fair weather fliers.

Stupid comment. I have been a member every single year since 2000 (Except 2011) and attend 8+ games a year, but because I’m defending the players decision I’m a fair weather supporter? Don’t start that rubbish mate, you can debate the point without playing the holier than thou bullshit.

Footballers training for football seems like a good idea to me but with that comes risk but a risk that can be outweighed by improving at your profession that of being a footballer.

Running up and down hills with bricks above your head with no obvious benefit not so clever.

Melbourne Storm thinks it's a great idea to improve their team, but what would they know, they're not where near as professional as we are

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stupid comment. I have been a member every single year since 2000 (Except 2011) and attend 8+ games a year, but because I’m defending the players decision I’m a fair weather supporter? Don’t start that rubbish mate, you can debate the point without playing the holier than thou bullshit.
Not playing the holier than thou card at all. And I am not condemning the players actions nor am I condemning the club, because I do not know what the truth is. Do you?

Considering that our membership numbers didnt go into 4 digits at any point during the worst decade of football in the modern era, this comment is really just a self promoting "im a more hardcore supporter than you!"

See any memberships being burned? Most of this thread is a combination of vented frustration and applying rationality over a fawning fan boy zealot approach.

We arent essendon for gods sake!
Not interested in that membership crap or banging your balls to find out who the best supporter is.. What I see are comments * the players, the players are weak, the players went to the AFLPA behind the clubs back. Does anyone have any proof of these comments apart from the bullshit media comment that kicked this all off. I put up an article from the club stating that Goodwin said the players approached him and raised concerns regarding the camp and it was called off after consultation. The comment from one person on this board was that is a fluff over by the club and the truth would lay somewhere in the middle. FFS some of you want the club to fail it would seem. You are frustrated? STOP writing your version of events and find out the truth. Maybe Goodwin did talk to the players, make a lot of you look ******* stupid then, wouldn't it. edit. 5806 veiws.... 215 comments. Keep feeding the other 17 clubs with non factual comments, they love it.

Not interested in that membership crap or banging your balls to find out who the best supporter is.. What I see are comments **** the players, the players are weak, the players went to the AFLPA behind the clubs back. Does anyone have any proof of these comments apart from the bullshit media comment that kicked this all off. I put up an article from the club stating that Goodwin said the players approached him and raised concerns regarding the camp and it was called off after consultation. The comment from one person on this board was that is a fluff over by the club and the truth would lay somewhere in the middle. FFS some of you want the club to fail it would seem. You are frustrated? STOP writing your version of events and find out the truth. Maybe Goodwin did talk to the players, make a lot of you look ******* stupid then, wouldn't it. edit. 5806 veiws.... 215 comments. Keep feeding the other 17 clubs with non factual comments, they love it.
What was actually reported was that players sought AFLPA advice as to how to raise the matter with the club. Presumably, armed with that advice, they then spoke to the club.

Nobody has suggested Goodwin lied - I’m not certain why the angst.

What was actually reported was that players sought AFLPA advice as to how to raise the matter with the club. Presumably, armed with that advice, they then spoke to the club.

Nobody has suggested Goodwin lied - I’m not certain why the angst.
Just getting a bit sick of reading BS. Evidently the 14 players will be starting at Casey first game of the season. This rubbish causes problems.

is it true in last years camp several melb players had their Gatorade laced with lsd?

Melbourne Storm thinks it's a great idea to improve their team, but what would they know, they're not where near as professional as we are
Slightly off topic but I think the MFC has been very professionally run the last 4 years, I can’t think of a single club that has grown crowds, membership, profitability etc to the extent we have over the last 5 years all while increasing wins every year over that time.

As for the Storm they are very successful on field ( even with the cheating and loss of premierships) but it’s a long bow to draw to say the camps they attend have a bearing on winning or losing and if so how much and does that outweigh the risk. I think their success is much more about having all time greats than carrying bricks over their heads in preseason, and I still think it’s outdated and of no real benefit

Not playing the holier than thou card at all. And I am not condemning the players actions nor am I condemning the club, because I do not know what the truth is. Do you?

Considering who I’ve spoken to I’ve got a far better read on this than most of the forum, hence why I have no issue with the players cancelling it. Calling anyone who posts on here regularly ‘fair weather’ is ridiculous, anyone who devotes some time to post on an AFL forum about their club is already pretty fanatical.

is it true in last years camp several melb players had their Gatorade laced with lsd?

No, but for most of 2007-2016 they played like they'd been on the drink at Jonestown.

Not interested in that membership crap or banging your balls to find out who the best supporter is.. What I see are comments **** the players, the players are weak, the players went to the AFLPA behind the clubs back. Does anyone have any proof of these comments apart from the bullshit media comment that kicked this all off. I put up an article from the club stating that Goodwin said the players approached him and raised concerns regarding the camp and it was called off after consultation. The comment from one person on this board was that is a fluff over by the club and the truth would lay somewhere in the middle. FFS some of you want the club to fail it would seem. You are frustrated? STOP writing your version of events and find out the truth. Maybe Goodwin did talk to the players, make a lot of you look ******* stupid then, wouldn't it. edit. 5806 veiws.... 215 comments. Keep feeding the other 17 clubs with non factual comments, they love it.

Weird spiel. Why would they go the AFLPA with the blessing of the coaching staff? Of course it was behind their back.

Peoples opinions on this might vary but I'd be careful brandishing us as fair weather supporters because most of us were here posting during the Bailey Era whilst your join date is august 27 right about when we thought we would play finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back