Melbourne pulls out of gaming/pokies

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder if this is the beginning of every club doing the same?

You'd think the likes of Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon and Geelong would able to do so if we are? I don't think they'll be too far off.

It was only North that didn't have pokies wasn't it?

based on the finances thread, Richmond and the Saints could do it relatively easily as they don't have alot of pokies.

The Hawks are by far the biggest in terms of pokies. Without Pokies and the sweetheart deal they have in Tassie i doubt they would be solvent.

based on the finances thread, Richmond and the Saints could do it relatively easily as they don't have alot of pokies.

The Hawks are by far the biggest in terms of pokies. Without Pokies and the sweetheart deal they have in Tassie i doubt they would be solvent.

they will have to merge.

Soon it will start costing them corporate support, this will be the tipping point

Panic station at the Hawks.

It won't be long until they will need to liquidate almost all of their $47m in net assets and go cap in hand to the AFL lol.

I guess another $10m donation won't go astray either...

they will have to merge.

Soon it will start costing them corporate support, this will be the tipping point

We could always get a fairer distribution of financial support from the AFL. Perhaps we could even get a cut that matches the Tigers (with or without the FTF)

Things might get so difficult that the club can no longer invest in lofting endeavours such as renaming Melbourne suburbs...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ha...i/news-story/2bf698ea32ea458687ed6179123c4b91

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done Melbourne so good of......wait got sidetracked by the Sportsbet ads on TV......them to give.......wait got sidetracked by SEN asking Matt Campbell what the odds are......up the pokies revenue.......wait got sidetracked by alcohol ads on footy coverage........and somehow will find.......wait got sidetracked by the fact pokie machines are legal.......the $10mill to stay competitive......wait got sidetracked by Melbourne supporters complaining in 10 years time because they have no money and cant keep up with the rest.........wait got sidetracked by the fact the pokie machines they currently have will still be there, hopefully carlton pick them up

AFL would bail them out like they have done in the past with WB, Gold Coast, Brisbane etc. But they would be shot as a competitive force like they are now.

They are experts are getting bail outs, subsidies and government hand outs that is for sure

Panic station at the Hawks.

It won't be long until they will need to liquidate almost all of their $47m in net assets and go cap in hand to the AFL lol.

I guess another $10m donation won't go astray either...

Hawks are very cagey about how much they make from your pokies. You have the most by about 30%, which means you guys get $4-5m a year from pokies MINIMUM and an equal amount from your Tasmanian deal, your $4m profit would be a $4m loss without those income streams.

Your assets are almost entirely in your pokies venues but i suppose you would just sell them off. But they aren't assets in the way that say, WCE have like $20m sitting in the bank.

Hawks are very cagey about how much they make from your pokies. You have the most by about 30%, which means you guys get $4-5m a year from pokies MINIMUM and an equal amount from your Tasmanian deal, your $4m profit would be a $4m loss without those income streams.

Your assets are almost entirely in your pokies venues but i suppose you would just sell them off. But they aren't assets in the way that say, WCE have like $20m sitting in the bank.

So no more AFL luxury taxes, perhaps Hawthorn can double dip on equalisation and get a handout like Melbourne? Or redeploy the preseason $10m donation to rejig the business model?

These clubs are largely selling off their gaming businesses as they have not been profitable (ala North Melbourne) or have a financial dependence on the AFL (or both). If Melbourne really cared about problem gambling would they sell the machines to the Racing Club or just remove the machines from operation entirely?

I guess with no pokies Melbourne will also be saying no to gambling sponsorships too?

So no more AFL luxury taxes, perhaps Hawthorn can double dip on equalisation and get a handout like Melbourne? Or redeploy the preseason $10m donation to rejig the business model?

These clubs are largely selling off their gaming businesses as they have not been profitable (ala North Melbourne) or have a financial dependence on the AFL (or both).

I guess with no pokies Melbourne will also be saying no to gambling sponsorships too?

No AFL club should have pokies. If the Hawks can double dip on equalisation then they should

It's a great move. I don't really have an issue if pokies are a small part of a genuine club-related revenue stream. By genuine club, I mean the social club of the club, i.e. cats at Kardinia, Saints at Moorabbin, us at Windy Hill. But it gets a bit out of hand when Hawthorn have pokies in Noble Park and Caroline Springs raking in $20+ million, they're just preying on poor people which makes up a significant amount of their revenue. Had the opposition won in Tasmania with their anti-pokies stance, they may have jeopardised their sponsorship and had to choose.

Essendon are too reliant on the revenues from pokies, we need to reduce it, but if we retained some machines at our social clubs and led the way by restricting bets and every reasonable restriction, I think we could maintain some pokies without being such a social ill.

No need for us to have them at Melton. Richmond have some in Wantirna, Melbourne in Oakleigh, Carlton in Laverton and Manningham. If they're not really associated with the football club, they shouldn't licence them.

Well done Melbourne so good of......wait got sidetracked by the Sportsbet ads on TV......them to give.......wait got sidetracked by SEN asking Matt Campbell what the odds are......up the pokies revenue.......wait got sidetracked by alcohol ads on footy coverage........and somehow will find.......wait got sidetracked by the fact pokie machines are legal.......the $10mill to stay competitive......wait got sidetracked by Melbourne supporters complaining in 10 years time because they have no money and cant keep up with the rest.........wait got sidetracked by the fact the pokie machines they currently have will still be there, hopefully carlton pick them up

Yes pokies are legal and yes they'll still be there but the difference is that the club won't be making money off of peoples gaming addictions, it's a moral thing.

Going by that article Melbourne will be operating a gaming licence out of the Bentleigh Club until 16 August 2022 or did I miss something?

I believe that's when our "gaming entitlement period" expires and won't be renewed.

Yes pokies are legal and yes they'll still be there but the difference is that the club won't be making money off of peoples gaming addictions, it's a moral thing.

I believe that's when our "gaming entitlement period" expires and won't be renewed.

Somebody else will be making the money. Why not put it back into a sporting organisation that gives so much to the community through people loving their club/something to do on weekeds etc

Somebody else will be making the money. Why not put it back into a sporting organisation that gives so much to the community through people loving their club/something to do on weekeds etc

Because taking advantage and profiting from peoples addiction to pokies is a s**t thing to do and I'm glad the club is getting out of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back