Melbourne pulls out of gaming/pokies

Remove this Banner Ad

Alcohol contributes to depression, junk food causes all sorts of issues like heart disease, cancer etc Gambling also preys on problem gamblers.

Sorry I'm not buying your subjective morality.

Never said any of them were great.

I only said that at least all those other things mentioned actually give you something in return for you dosh. Even sports gambling.

Where as pokies are an owner operated rort that provides nothing except a chance(decised by the machines owner) to win a few dollars more.

I dont care. Its basic common sense.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Still no need to spruce you will get rid of the pokie machines in 2022 but are still going to keep the profits up to then. Let us know in 2022 when you don't have them anymore
Half gone as of 31 July. Other half will go in 2022.

Here's a hint, bad business management is giving up a huge revenue stream instantly rather than dowmgrading over time.

Here's a hint, bad business management is giving up a huge revenue stream instantly rather than dowmgrading over time.

If the reason to get out of it is the morals of earning income from those less fortunate, then id suggest getting out of it ASAP, or do Melbourne choose when $$$ are more important than their morals? Looks like 2022 is when their morals kick in

They aren't gone they will just be owned by someone else.

They aren't gone they will just be owned by someone else.
Bentleigh will be rid of pokies you would assume given Melbourne have committed to maintaining their operations there.

Bentleigh will be rid of pokies you would assume given Melbourne have committed to maintaining their operations there.

Yeah but the licenses will be sold to someone else who will the put the machines somewhere.

Yeah but the licenses will be sold to someone else who will the put the machines somewhere.
So what, because they exist Melbourne should operate them?

Sports gambling is actually part of the sport. Whose the best player or team etc.

Its not a machine that is just a spinning wheel thats set by the house.

That's some great justifications you've got going there but the fact is there is no difference no matter how many times you repeat it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I detest gambling and the gambling industry. It preys on those who are prone to addictions and/or those who can least afford to lose money. But I am also in favor of freedom of choice and non-interference by govt in these moral issues. So I guess I just say - actions have consequences.

However, in a footy context what irks me is the AFL's cynical and shameless hypocrisy in being a gambling industry enabler, shill and huckster - an hypocrisy reminiscent of some airlines which trumpet in their videos/in-flight magazines how to avoid DVT [deep vein thrombosis] by flexing your fetlocks etc, whilst at the same time they, the airlines, ever-decrease legroom between airplane seats.

So congratulations to Air Melbourne in getting real.

Let's hope it sends a message to the AFL to focus less on snowflake PC kumbaya and more on the actual real-life issues faced by many ordinary Joe Blow fans and their children - which in this case is facilitating gambling in AFL clubs, and in AFL gambling discussion threads.

That's some great justifications you've got going there but the fact is there is no difference no matter how many times you repeat it.
The fact is it makes every difference.
Its why the gun nuts sound ridiculous when they say that more people die in cars than being shot by guns as a way of defending their obsession.

No matter how many times you try to deny it.

Last edited:
The fact is it makes every difference.
Its why the gun nuts sound ridiculous when they say that more people die in cars than being shot by guns as a way of defending their obsession.

No matter how many times you try to deny it.

Haha ok now you're trying to equate it with murder :thumbsu:

Not at all.

Just equating your argument with some of their bullshit arguments. Not the act itself.

Nice attempt at it though

It was an idiotic statement and false equivalency.

The fact is your club and the AFL earns money from gambling sponsorships, alcohol sponsorships and junk food sponsorships. These products all have extreme adverse impacts on society yet you are happy to take that blood money while hilariously singling out one particular gambling revenue stream as being "bad". It's the very definition of hypocrisy.

It was an idiotic statement and false equivalency.

No it isnt.

You were using the same "other things are just as bad" argument those nutjobs use.

The fact is your club and the AFL earns money from gambling sponsorships, alcohol sponsorships and junk food sponsorships. These products all have extreme adverse impacts on society yet you are happy to take that blood money while hilariously singling out one particular gambling revenue stream as being "bad". It's the very definition of hypocrisy.

Completely different.

As stated numerous times, while those things can all cause issues they actually have a product or something that you get from it.

Pokies you dont.
At all.
Nada.
Maybe the odd few dollars in return.
If you are lucky enough to have the owners timing right.

But please keep on defending them.
Its amusing.
Even your own club sees the folly.

No it isnt.

You were using the same "other things are just as bad" argument those nutjobs use.

Completely different.

As stated numerous times, while those things can all cause issues they actually have a product or something that you get from it.

Pokies you dont.
At all.
Nada.

Its amusing.

"You get nothing at all, absolutely nothing, unless you do get something"

So if you do something bad and u get something bad for it, thats better than doing something bad and getting nothing for it.. ? Because u got something... even though that thing is bad for you.. but getting something is good.. for reasons..

"You get nothing at all, absolutely nothing, unless you do get something"

So if you do something bad and u get something bad for it, thats better than doing something bad and getting nothing for it.. ? Because u got something... even though that thing is bad for you.. but getting something is good.. for reasons..
Youre the one adding "getting something bad".

Never said it was.

No it isnt.

Completely different.

Pokies you dont.
At all.
Nada.

Its amusing.

You don't get a product in return from other forms of gambling.

Just because you get a product in return doesn't mean those products don't have detrimental effects on society. You get a product in return when you buy a pack of smokes but cigarette company sponsorship is illegal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back