Melbourne pulls out of gaming/pokies

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
You don't get a product in return from other forms of gambling.

Just because you get a product in return doesn't mean those products don't have detrimental effects on society. You get a product in return when you buy a pack of smokes but cigarette company sponsorship is illegal.

No but you actually get something. Theres actually some involvement.

Would be happy for them to ban other forms of advertising for certain products at certain times of the day.

But as its stands getting rid of pokies is a great start as its the worst of the worst for families in poor income areas.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham

Any argument you make in favour of other forms of gambling applies equally to pokies. You can't have it both ways. Either profiting from gambling is bad or its not, its just you have a subjective view that some forms of gambling are ok to profit from (coincidentally because you club benefits financially from having sponsorships with those companies).

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Would be happy for them to ban other forms of advertising for certain products at certain times of the day.

But as its stands getting rid of pokies is a great start as its the worst of the worst for families in poor income areas.

The pokies will still exist, so it hasn't done anything to help this problem. Melbourne are just giving the profits to someone else who will keep the profits, dumb move. be better to keep the pokies and ensure the profits are used wisely, even donate it to a charity that helps problem gamblers. Then they can sit on their high horse and explain the good they are doing to the community

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Any argument you make in favour of other forms of gambling applies equally to pokies. You can't have it both ways. Either profiting from gambling is bad or its not, its just you have a subjective view that some forms of gambling are ok to profit from (coincidentally because you club benefits financially from having sponsorships with those companies).

Lol No it doesnt. They are completely different.

One is a machine you sit at press a button and if you got the timing right with how the manager has set it up to win you may get a few bucks.

The other is completely the opposite and actually involves you thinking.

Eh? My club was looking at pokies once and I would of said the same thing then.

Your club is ditching pokies. Its a great move. Be proud.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
The pokies will still exist, so it hasn't done anything to help this problem. Melbourne are just giving the profits to someone else who will keep the profits, dumb move. be better to keep the pokies and ensure the profits are used wisely, even donate it to a charity that helps problem gamblers. Then they can sit on their high horse and explain the good they are doing to the community
Smart move. Community clubs not destroying communities is a good thing.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Still a food product that people enjoy.
Not a little machine that fors nothing but fleece you of your money.

Hey but im all for banning sponsorship of that as well.

Pokies are an entertainment product that some people enjoy.

Your logic completely falls apart when you really think about it.

If you're anti-pokies because of their overall damage to the community, then you must also be against other products which also damage the community in a similar or worse way. The "well at least you get something back" argument is complete nonsensical.

You (in general, not you specifically) wanna ban gambling advertisement from reaching children while shovelling sugar down their throats into their high cholesterol veins? Thats a thonker.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Lol No it doesnt. They are completely different.

One is a machine you sit at press a button and if you got the timing right with how the manager has set it up to win you may get a few bucks.

The other is completely the opposite and actually involves you thinking.

Eh? My club was looking at pokies once and I would of said the same thing then.

Your club is ditching pokies. Its a great move. Be proud.

Gambling is gambling, no matter how you try and justify it.

Your club has a sponsorship with TAB.com.au which is listed as a "Gold Partner"

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
So apparently problem gamblers don't have an issue as long as they don't use pokies because at least they're getting "something" out of it and involves them "thinking" about which horse/team they want to throw their money away on.

Pretty sure there are plenty of examples of people going bankrupt through gambling that had nothing to do with playing pokies. I doubt Schwarz or Daniel Ward were much into pokies. Lucky they got "something" out of their gambling in return though :rolleyes:

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Quote from PJ and Barlett today is that the pokies are worth $2mil to our bottom line. They're saying, effectively, that we need to grow our income streams by 10%...by 2022.

Given typically that a business wants to grow by 3% a year to keep up with inflation, that means we're aiming for a growth target of 5% per year. It's big, but it's not unreasonable, particularly given that the bulk of that hit will come in 2022, and we'll have financial incomes from the sale of the Bentleigh club (as we have received from Leighoak).

Not to mention there's the question of what the club will do with the $11mil...could we finally have a dedicated facility on the table?

Heard PJ on radio today, need replace the $2m contributed to profits, planning to do it by realising $s from the sale of the pokies plus other (unspecified ) assets - any Melbourne fan prepared to nominate what they might be?

ZingerB

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
unfortunately the AFL system a bit like the GST. Well run clubs like Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn and Richmond + the WA clubs essentially are handing money back to other, less well run clubs because they aren't a basket case.

Yeah you can * right off with that attitude. WA teams financial success is in no small part due to the fact that the WAFL doesn't gouge its clubs to death with its stadium deal. The second Port got a 'not s**t' deal, we started making money, as will some of the bottom Vic clubs at Etihad. The entire concept of the tax is based around the big 4 clubs getting preferential treatment which financially benefits them massively so they have to give back some of those unfair gains (gains that I might add they were able to reap for over a decade with impunity). Go and have a look at how much of a sook Eddie had when they had a game against Carlton on a Sunday evening and only got 40k. Who do you think gets more sponsorship dollars, the team that is playing every 2nd Friday night with national exposure, or the team who plays every Sat afternoon when their own fans can't watch? Who do you think gets better crowds, the team that has to rely on its own supporter base, or the team that never leaves Melbourne and gets to add 20k+ from the other team's supporter base to their crowd figures. Funnily enough when you make a bit of a profit you can then invest it into other profit making enterprises. The big clubs have been given 10s of millions of dollars in handouts from the AFL and have the temerity to complain when they have to hand back cents on the dollar and lecture everyone else about how well their clubs are run when they aren't offered gift-wrapped opportunities to make money.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
WA teams financial success is in no small part due to the fact that the WAFL doesn't gouge its clubs to death with its stadium deal.

2018 mate, the WAFL has no control over the stadium deal, thats zip influence, nothing ..... these clubs still pump $s directly into WA footy via royalties, to the WAFC not the WAFL.

The second Port got a 'not s**t' deal, we started making money, as will some of the bottom Vic clubs at Etihad

When fans put their bums on the seats, the $s come with them - when clubs cant pull a crowd it doesnt stop the blame brigade, there is always someone else to blame.

ZingerB

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
2018 mate, the WAFL has no control over the stadium deal, thats zip influence, nothing ..... these clubs still pump $s directly into WA footy via royalties, to the WAFC not the WAFL.

When fans put their bums on the seats, the $s come with them - when clubs cant pull a crowd it doesnt stop the blame brigade, there is always someone else to blame.

Port got less of a crowd last year than they did in their 1st year at AO and made a profit instead of a loss when they also had upfront investment into China at a time where we have steadily increased our football department spending. That is almost entirely due to the fact that we get to keep more of what we make. If you cant see the link between fixturing/ stadium deals and dollars I can't help you. Some teams buck the trend. SA crowd figures don't change as much as others based upon the day/ time, but we would sure as hell get more sponsorship if we played every 2nd Friday. The link to the GST outs you as one of these ******* Western Australians who thinks because you're in a temporary boom you should get more money even though you were happy with being propped up by the Eastern states pre boom. Feel free to secede and become a 3rd world country in 50-100 years time once the mining boom is over.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Port got less of a crowd last year than they did in their 1st year at AO and made a profit instead of a loss when they also had upfront investment into China at a time where we have steadily increased our football department spending. That is almost entirely due to the fact that we get to keep more of what we make. If you cant see the link between fixturing/ stadium deals and dollars I can't help you. Some teams buck the trend. SA crowd figures don't change as much as others based upon the day/ time, but we would sure as hell get more sponsorship if we played every 2nd Friday. The link to the GST outs you as one of these ******* Western Australians who thinks because you're in a temporary boom you should get more money even though you were happy with being propped up by the Eastern states pre boom. Feel free to secede and become a 3rd world country in 50-100 years time once the mining boom is over.

Dont worry about outing me, pull the other one, your post was nonsense & you know it, not to mention your pants being pulled down, footy knowledge on your part is dismal.
I'm no critic of Port generally, having been a supporter when living in Adelaide.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
So apparently problem gamblers don't have an issue as long as they don't use pokies because at least they're getting "something" out of it and involves them "thinking" about which horse/team they want to throw their money away on.

Pretty sure there are plenty of examples of people going bankrupt through gambling that had nothing to do with playing pokies. I doubt Schwarz or Daniel Ward were much into pokies. Lucky they got "something" out of their gambling in return though :rolleyes:

While it is true that problem gamblers exist everywhere, pokies have been proven to cause more problem gamblers.

There is reason why the per capita spend on gambling is half that in Western Australia. Or why WA has significantly less problem gamblers than vic/nsw/bris. Or it could just be luck right :cool:

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The link to the GST outs you as one of these ******* Western Australians who thinks because you're in a temporary boom you should get more money even though you were happy with being propped up by the Eastern states pre boom. Feel free to secede and become a 3rd world country in 50-100 years time once the mining boom is over.

i can see why the SA economy is in the toilet - poor education.

ZingerB

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Dont worry about outing me, pull the other one, your post was nonsense & you know it, not to mention your pants being pulled down, footy knowledge on your part is dismal.
I'm no critic of Port generally, having been a supporter when living in Adelaide.

Oh no, you said I know nothing about football.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
While it is true that problem gamblers exist everywhere, pokies have been proven to cause more problem gamblers.

There is reason why the per capita spend on gambling is half that in Western Australia. Or why WA has significantly less problem gamblers than vic/nsw/bris. Or it could just be luck right :cool:

That's a redundant argument. "Yes we profit from misery, but the misery caused by THAT product is worse therefore it's not an issue"

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
That's a redundant argument. "Yes we profit from misery, but the misery caused by THAT product is worse therefore it's not an issue"

You need to look up what redundant means.

As they put on the report in WA before they banned it - “Poker machine playing is a mindless, repetitive and insidious form of gambling which has many undesirable features". Its worse than other forms of gambling, causes more losses and more problem gamblers.

bombersfan4000

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
With very limited pokies revenue, WA still will be getting back less than 50c in the $ on the GST collected, SA gets $1.14 for each dollar collected.

Leaners & lifters.
All those resources WA has in the ground that they sell helps!

The greens have heavily restricted SA in that way as well;)

Back