Unsolved Melbourne Shooting WBA Oceania boxing tournament - Two wounded one dead - Gatto in the audience

Two suspects being hunted by police after Melbourne boxing tournament shooting

PHOTO: The shooting happened at a World Boxing Association Oceania tournament last night. (ABC News)

Police in Melbourne are searching for two suspects after a man was shot dead and two others were wounded in an "extremely disturbing" incident outside a boxing tournament last night.

Key points:
  • Multiple shots were fired outside the boxing tournament
  • Police said the victims were known to police but would not specify how
  • Two suspects are being hunted by police after they fled the scene on foot

There were about 650 people inside the Melbourne Pavilion in Kensington for the World Boxing Association Oceania tournament when the shooting took place.

One man was shot out the front of the building and died at the scene.

Two men aged in their 20s and 30s were also wounded at the venue with one shot in the foyer of the building.

One of the men is in a critical condition in hospital.

Investigators are searching for two offenders who ran off after the shooting.

PHOTO: Police are still looking for two suspects. (ABC News)

Police have obtained CCTV footage of "various activities" around the venue at the time, Victoria Police Detective Sergeant Sol Soloman said.

He said they were investigating whether there was any link to reports a fight broke out between two groups inside the venue.

"At this point in time we have not identified those responsible for the shooting, we have not identified the motive, however the information we have gleaned so far makes us confident that this was a targeted attack," he said.​
"We can't say if all three were targeted but they may have been or at least one of them may have been."

He said the three victims were known to police but he would not disclose how.

"It's an extremely disturbing incident at a well-organised, well-managed boxing event," he said.

"We made every effort to speak with every patron that was present at the scene and you can imagine it was packed to capacity.

"We managed to speak with the majority of people, however if there were any people that were there that we missed we'd like them to come forward."

Underworld figure Mick Gatto, who was also a boxing promoter, was part of the large crowd at the tournament.

Police playing it down a bit 'nobody else at risk'. Wild shots were going into parked cars and two? were hit in the foyer, one by a stray bullet in the leg if I'm reading it right.

Very risky if they try something like that again. imo. Okay, it wasn't exactly at a kids Auskick footy match on a Sunday arvo but there are passersby and kids do sometimes go to the fights, especially in corporate.

Found it interesting that the event continued on even after the shooting.

It would cost a lot of money to shut down an event like that. Fighters need to box or they don't get paid having come from all over generally, the ref, doctor, catering, ring girls etc. then there's over 650 people inside who might start carrying on wanting their money back, No shots went inside the venue so it was probably smarter to let people quietly leave if they want to and continue.

there is dashcam footage on herald-sun website that shows the shooting.

From the Age. He's backing up and firing there, then he moves forward fast looks like maybe into the foyer and you can hear another couple of volleys. Very determined.

Best pic I could get. https://www.theage.com.au/video/vid...oxing-tournament-shooting-20190304-5c4bl.html

WBOsh.png

seriously is it just me or are 80% of shootings in Melbourne and Sydney committed by middle eastern wannabe gangsters? mind you when they shoot each other I don't mind it

Ike, if they were wannabes before they're probs not any more. In their minds. Very cheeky, might I also add the promoters of that fight will surely see taking guns to the boxing as a serious turn in gangsterdom and conspicuously disrespectful.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Flash from the gun arrowed, although there was more than one gun involved by the look of it.

Boxing shooter.png

If they haven't found him yet he'll be found soon IMO. Pretty brazen but these guys don't really think too far ahead.

sprockets

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Then there's two shooters, the second one hung about for longer.
Didn't you see him duck his head when the last bang happened as he was running off from between the cars? Seems someone shot back at him. Maybe more than two shooters from what I could hear.

BTW what's with all the white tee shirts and white runners? Is it a thing now? Possibly a gang thing.

Didn't you see him duck his head when the last bang happened as he was running off from between the cars? Seems someone shot back at him. Maybe more than two shooters from what I could hear.

Res on this screen isn't very good, I couldn't pick up much detail at all.

So, it might not have been a shooting but a gun fight? Wow ... I think Brian Armatruda owns that venue? Promoters might have trouble now finding one, the fallout could be very damaging.

sprockets

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Res on this screen isn't very good, I couldn't pick up much detail at all.

So, it might not have been a shooting but a gun fight? Wow ... I think Brian Armatruda owns that venue? Promoters might have trouble now finding one, the fallout could be very damaging.
That's my take on it, unless he fired backwards indiscriminately, without looking, as he started to run. There was a flash and a bang (obv gunshot) right behind him when he ducked as he took off.

That's my take on it, unless he fired backwards indiscriminately, without looking, as he started to run. There was a flash and a bang (obv gunshot) right behind him when he ducked as he took off.

Over an argument that broke out at a table inside the venue apparently. So did running guy go and get one out of his car?

Looking for these three and one more unknown.

333d0799ab285c02bc3eb08d53717e4c

A nationwide manhunt is continuing for 27-year-old Abdullah El Nasher and his 28-year-old brother Ali El Nasher – both from Brunswick – and 25-year-old Mikhael Myko from Pascoe Vale.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/shocking-dashcam-footage-boxing-match-shooting-killed-dad-094044722.html

sprockets

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Over an argument that broke out at a table inside the venue apparently. So did running guy go and get one out of his car?

Looking for these three and one more unknown.

333d0799ab285c02bc3eb08d53717e4c

A nationwide manhunt is continuing for 27-year-old Abdullah El Nasher and his 28-year-old brother Ali El Nasher – both from Brunswick – and 25-year-old Mikhael Myko from Pascoe Vale.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/shocking-dashcam-footage-boxing-match-shooting-killed-dad-094044722.html
Well there you go. Do you remember Mickey's Disco in St Kilda? It's had a few name and ownership changes since then. I was there with a group of mates and one decided to ask a girl there for a dance. When he'd finished dancing he sat down and a huge indigenous guy came over to our table and belted him. Then security came over and ushered us out through the kitchen. The big guy had gone to his car for a gun according to his mates LOL. Apparently he'd got jealous.

Back