Melbourne Stars fan thread

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/c...t/news-story/cab730a5155eea44181280ffdd4810d9

Melbourne Stars see Kevin Pietersen as future captain as David Hussey ponders retirement
cab730a5155eea44181280ffdd4810d9

SAM LANDSBERGER, Herald Sun
January 13, 2017 8:00pm
Subscriber only
cab730a5155eea44181280ffdd4810d9

REFORMED firebrand Kevin Pietersen could captain Melbourne Stars next summer as popular skipper David Hussey ponders retirement.

Hussey on Friday told the Herald Sun he was “leaning towards” walking away after this season and that Pietersen’s experience leading England would thrust him in the frame to take over.

Pietersen’s elevation would cap a stunning few years of redemption and coincide with England’s Ashes tour next summer — the country which unceremoniously sacked him.

Hussey nominated Glenn Maxwell, Pete Handscomb, Adam Zampa and James Faulkner as top contenders — but said their Australian duties during the Big Bash season would count against them.

828650000549898af2a7490345312c50

Pietersen has been a stand out player for the Stars in the last two seasons.
Similarly, Pietersen’s Network Ten contract to commentate from the field during Stars games would inhibit his chances.

Hussey, 39, will almost certainly call time on a sparkling career should he lead the Stars to a maiden championship this month.

Brother Mike Hussey bowed out after captaining Sydney Thunder to last summer’s trophy.

“I reckon (Pietersen) would be a good option,” Hussey said.

“He’s captained his country and he’s got a pretty good grasp on the game. The only issue is he’s sort of on television mic’d up and is entertaining the crowd that way.

“I’m not sure he really wants the stress, however if he did happen to want it you’d definitely seriously look at him.”

Inaugural Stars captain Shane Warne coaxed close mate Pietersen to the franchise two years ago and he has proved the ideal world-class import.

2a38c3cf506928423e42795ef3538c16

David Hussey is considering his future, admitting “the body is pretty sore.”
The gun-for-hire has struck 796 runs for the Stars at an average of 41.9 and his greater availability is a tick over Zampa, Maxwell, Faulkner and Handscomb.

“I’ve been thinking about (my successor) a lot, actually,” Hussey said.

“It just depends going forward what (coach) Steve (Fleming) and (chief executive) Clint Cooper and (cricket director) Trent Woodhill really want to do.

“They’re (Zampa, Maxwell, Faulkner and Handscomb) four likely candidates and I think if you give the captaincy to anyone of those four they’ll definitely do a remarkable job.

“But that’s probably the biggest pitfall — you sort of want a captain that’s going to be around the whole season.

“That way it’s the same message that’s coming in and the same style of captaincy the whole way through.”

Pietersen skippered England’s Test and ODI teams from 2008-9 and led Delhi Daredevils in the 2014 Indian Premier League season.

ea40211d2a52a82f0a788c96a7221e0a

Unlike his rivals for the captaincy, Pietersen has no international commitments.
Hussey said he would retire if it would help fast-track a younger Star.

“For me it’s always been what’s best for the franchise,” he said.

“If I’m stopping a young Sebastian Gotch coming into play, or a young Sam Harper from playing, then you definitely step aside.

“They’re going to be future superstars of the Big Bash competition.”

Asked if this was likely to be his last season, Hussey said: “At the moment I’m pretty tired and the body is pretty sore.

“I’m probably leaning towards not playing, but you just never know.

“I had a ball last year and I’m having a ball this year.”

Would not mind KP as captain...

Still have no idea how a squad like the Stars have not won a BBL
Because a lot of T20 cricket is based on luck, and they haven't shown the ability to rise to the big occassion.

Depth, we have had times where the entire first choice bowling lineup has been on ODI duties.

Even last night you have a bowler like Gannon getting a game and Hilfenhaus would usually go for 40 and Boland can be brilliant or go for runs.

Batting lineup is good and against s**t bowlers can make big scores, but realistically 160 is around their ideal total and bowlers cant always defend that.

Depth, we have had times where the entire first choice bowling lineup has been on ODI duties.

Even last night you have a bowler like Gannon getting a game and Hilfenhaus would usually go for 40 and Boland can be brilliant or go for runs.

Batting lineup is good and against s**t bowlers can make big scores, but realistically 160 is around their ideal total and bowlers cant always defend that.
Yeah, the Stars side that dominates the regular season is usually very different to the side that plays in the finals.

Of course being chokers doesn't help either.

Because a lot of T20 cricket is based on luck, and they haven't shown the ability to rise to the big occassion.
Khawaja even being available for the Thunder last year was unlucky for the Stars and then surviving that lbw shout of Gulbis another level.

In saying that most other things have gone their way

I don't think the team bats deep enough, the bowlers have definately swung the last 2 matches only needing to chase 150 and 134 respectively, they almost bottled the first run chase and looked very dodgy for large parts of last nights. The concern will be can the current lineup with the international departures put up a large score?

With 2 home games to come to finish up top spot is the stars to lose.

Probably due to this line of thinking.

As an outsider I've always thought the Stars as a bit arrogant/presumptuous. Perhaps a bit unfair and probably partially due to the Eddie connection.

The old adage 'a champion team will always beat a team of champions' comes to mind.

To their credit I think the Stars are a good shot this season and are doing a very good job.

I don't think the team bats deep enough, the bowlers have definately swung the last 2 matches only needing to chase 150 and 134 respectively, they almost bottled the first run chase and looked very dodgy for large parts of last nights. The concern will be can the current lineup with the international departures put up a large score?

With 2 home games to come to finish up top spot is the stars to lose.

Always been poor team selection, Faulkner at 5 was beyond a joke. You have Gulbis at 7 and Hastings at 8 you bat deep enough for T20. Faulkner, Harper, Hilfy, Boland, Zampa, Beer was a bloody long tail

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lynn has been taken from the next opponent. As has McCullum ridiculously.
How is it ridiculous? Are you saying they shouldn't have suspended him despite the rules saying that he's supposed to be suspended?

How is it ridiculous? Are you saying they shouldn't have suspended him despite the rules saying that he's supposed to be suspended?
Obviously because the rules are ridiculous to ban him from playing.

It's also quite something when the Stars were in similar trouble a few years ago and just put Faulkner down as there captain in attempt to loophole the rules.

It's also quite something when the Stars were in similar trouble a few years ago and just put Faulkner down as there captain in attempt to loophole the rules.
It's common practice in the ICC. It's a good deterrent. I have no problem with the rules.

If it were Ben Rohrer who was suspended nobody would give a damn.

And it wouldnt have worked. He got what he deserved, now if the ICC started doing the same thing maybe we would start getting 90 overs every day of a test!

Anything to ensure a Sydney side plays finals...
Your ridiculousness about NSW bias is remarkable. If a New South Welshman gets selected ahead of a Victorian, it's NSW bias. If a Victorian gets selected in an upcoming game when they're playing a New South Wales side, it's NSW bias! You're embarrassing yourself.

Your ridiculousness about NSW bias is remarkable. If a New South Welshman gets selected ahead of a Victorian, it's NSW bias. If a Victorian gets selected in an upcoming game when they're playing a New South Wales side, it's NSW bias! You're embarrassing yourself.

Yet come up with any other explanation for the picking of Stars players all of a sudden, 2 of which dont deserve it and 2 of them wont be playing anyway!

A great coincidence i am sure its before playing Sydney in a game they must win...

Thing is when they pick NSW players its to play and they usually get plenty of chances. Victorians get picked to carry the drinks and maybe a one off appearance when series is dead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back