Analysis Melbourne Storm & GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Ignoring the Tasmanian market because it’s small was wrong at the time, and is still wrong now.
Like everyone else, you're overlooking the north/south divide in Tas.

What do you propose? A team each in Hobart and Launie? (Ridiculous).

One team, alternating home grounds? (Not sure how many footy fans are willing to drive 2 - 2 &1/2 hours to go see their team once a month.)

One team, in just one city? (Good luck with that, telling the other city they've missed out.)

There are very good reasons why there is no AFL team(s) in Tassie.

Anyway, prob for another thread.

Me again.
I think a lot of the Storm supporter base are Kiwis living in Melbourne that want their rugby fix.
See this is an example of where even if you don't like the sports, it is helpful to know what you're talking about.

Yes, NZ has a team in the NRL. But New Zealanders for the most part are rugby mad, not rugby league mad. League has very minimal support in New Zealand compared to rugby, the national sport (and something they're quite good at). If Kiwis in Melbourne want their "rugby fix", they're not likely to get it at an NRL match, are they?
Just like how Sydney are apparently the most supported AFL team, supported by millions that never watch and have never spent a cent on the game.
Sydney get very good crowds. The best game day crowds of any NSW team in any sport. And seventh biggest membership numbers in the AFL last year.

With a Tasmanian team, I could see similar start up concessions which were similar to that of Adelaide, Port and Freo, that tasmania would have gotten first access to Tasmanian born talent in the draft, rather than the high draft picks that were afforded to Gold Coast and GWS.

Expending into NSW and Queensland, which are the 1st and 3rd most populous states in the country, was about money, has it been good for the game? Has it expended it’s growth in them states? Has it created an awareness? Having lived (living) in both of these 2 states, it’s very hard to find AFL followers. Let alone a GWS or Suns supporter. So despite the popularity of the 2 cities, I can not see how it can be viewed as a success unless that success is manufactured. Ie set up to have an advantage to be successful.

Ignoring the Tasmanian market because it’s small was wrong at the time, and is still wrong now.
It’s not manufactured success. The AFL aren’t out there instructing the umpires and MRP to look out for the Giants (although some with paranoia would believe otherwise).

I really don’t know why people are so anti Giants? I mean, the AFL have created a team and will appropriately invest in that to grow the national game. GWS is an expansive growth area, there is huge potential with the success of the Swans to hold another side.

GWS already have 30,000 members, not to mention supporters. They’ve successfully just beaten one of the oldest clubs in Collingwood in a PF and are forging their own success. It all starts somewhere and people really need to get their head around that notion.

It’s not manufactured success. The AFL aren’t out there instructing the umpires and MRP to look out for the Giants (although some with paranoia would believe otherwise).

I really don’t know why people are so anti Giants? I mean, the AFL have created a team and will appropriately invest in that to grow the national game. GWS is an expansive growth area, there is huge potential with the success of the Swans to hold another side.

GWS already have 30,000 members, not to mention supporters. They’ve successfully just beaten one of the oldest clubs in Collingwood in a PF and are forging their own success. It all starts somewhere and people really need to get their head around that notion.

Well said!

Unfortunately "getting ones head around things" requires a flexibility of mind that is beyond many people

Player retention has always been a problem, minus the cheating years

Well, I don't follow the game anywhere near enough to comment on that

Bottom line is, including the cheating years, the last 14 years has:
-seen them not finish top 4 after the regular season twice
-miss the finals once
-win 4 premierships
-make 8 grand finals

Hard to conclude on that evidence that they are labouring under some kind of tyranny

Don't care for Rugby League but I'd be disappointed in their fans if they didn't hate them for systematically cheating the salary cap like they did.

The reason the other clubs weren't overly vocal when the Storm got caught was because it's a wide held practice across the board.

Thinking was more along the lines of..."There but for the grace of god..."

Terms like "rape" and "butt-hurt" are also not wanted when discussing topics to describe something. Don't use them.

If GWS end up with the same bandwagon support the Storm have then the AFL will be laughing.

Most people who say they support the Storm are the same as those who make Sydney the most popular AFL team. 99.9% will never attend a game, 99% will never even watch a game on TV. But they’ll say they support the local team.

The Storms success though shows why the AFL desperately want and need GWS to win premierships. They did it with Brisbane, did it with Sydney, did it with West Coast, did it with Adelaide and Port. Freo and GC are just failures though, AFL either don’t care as much or they’re simply poorly run.

But a new franchise needs early success to gain new supporters, if they keep failing they’ll fail fairly quickly. Crowds are already appalling for both GWS and GC.

Well it took the Swans 23 years. Also GWS did make the prelims etc and their crowds are still worse than GC so I wonder how much a flag will do. Flags did help Sydney and Brisbane, and soon as they fall off crowds drops. Bandwagoners or fairweather supporters don't mean long term growth.

I think a lot of the Storm supporter base are Kiwis living in Melbourne that want their rugby fix. Victorians might nominate Storm as their 'team' if pressed, but it doesn't mean they watch it or care about it in the slightest. Just like how Sydney are apparently the most supported AFL team, supported by millions that never watch and have never spent a cent on the game.
I'm the early days yes a lot if the Storm supporter base was made up of ex pats from NZ, NSW, QLD and even Northern England but def not now.

You'll actually find that Storm gained a lot of support following the salary cap scandal because Victorians realised that whilst it was cheating it seemed there was 1 rule for Sydney clubs and another for the Storm.

If New South Whalers hate the Storm it's almost certainly because the NRL had to delete two premierships (2009 & 2007) from the history books due to their salary cap cheating and players including Cameron Smith show no contrition.

If New South Whalers hate the Storm it's almost certainly because the NRL had to delete two premierships (2009 & 2007) from the history books due to their salary cap cheating and players including Cameron Smith show no contrition

Ah no, has nothing to do with Cameron Smith not showing any contrition....what a ridiculous far fetched notion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if in this thread already but Izzy Falou could be playing in;

a) AFL grand final
b) Melbourne Storm prelim
c) Rugby World Cup

No chance of a). If he was still in their best team (he actually never was) they wouldn't be in a gf

Both my teams are playing the enemy on Saturday

* GWS and * the Storm

I'll either be really happy or a shattered man saturday night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back