Analysis Melbourne Storm & GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

How else were they meant to set them up? It certainly wasn't "for years on end"

Unbelievable tin foil hattery

If you don't think that's a handout, I'll offer you $2 for Richmond to beat GWS on Saturday :D

Mate, you do realize they had the first 3 picks of the national draft 2012? The first 2 picks of the 2013 draft?

Port Adelaide have always been a strong club with a great history

Port Adelaide Power FC Est 1996

s-l225.jpg

Mate, you do realize they had the first 3 picks of the national draft 2012? The first 2 picks of the 2013 draft?

They got the first pick in both years based on finishing last

The got picks 2 and 3 in 2012 through trading 2 under 17 "mini draft" players that was part of their initial endowment

They got pick 2 from Melbourne in 2013 through trade that involved giving up pick 9 and the guy they got at pick 2 in 2011

Bottom line is they had an endowment and they've used it brilliantly. 2012 was 7 years ago!

But how many of those have they lost to the "big" Victorian clubs? The doomsdayers felt they (and the Suns) would dominate the competition for 10 years once their draftees matured. Even now, with them in the GF I'm not convinced they'll be there again next year - although... 3 prelims in 4 years might suggest otherwise.

I'm a Pies man and to be honest I find all of the anti-GWS chatter rather lame. Done a lot of thinking about whether the Suns and GWS should even be in the comp. I just honestly don't care about their matches when they play. But come to think of it that's what I think about most clubs outside of the Pies!

For some weird reason it bugs me that a club with zero (or close to zero) history is where they are (no, not because they beat us, just in general). But you gotta create you're own history so each to their own. The more I thought about it though the more I think most people's gripes with them stem from the fact that they're closer to a premiership than clubs who haven't won one in 30 or 50 years in some cases. But that's not the Giants fault. Every person in that club is working their arse off towards the Giants success. Yeah they had concessions at the start but they've also lost a fair amount of that talent to poachers who sell them "playing in front of big crowds".

But when their players debut they feel the same genuine excitement that players do at the Tigers or Pies or Bombers or Blues.

I dunno.... they're not going to fold anytime soon so we may as well get over it.

But how many of those have they lost to the "big" Victorian clubs? The doomsdayers felt they (and the Suns) would dominate the competition for 10 years once their draftees matured. Even now, with them in the GF I'm not convinced they'll be there again next year - although... 3 prelims in 4 years might suggest otherwise.

I'm a Pies man and to be honest I find all of the anti-GWS chatter rather lame. Done a lot of thinking about whether the Suns and GWS should even be in the comp. I just honestly don't care about their matches when they play. But come to think of it that's what I think about most clubs outside of the Pies!

For some weird reason it bugs me that a club with zero (or close to zero) history is where they are (no, not because they beat us, just in general). But you gotta create you're own history so each to their own. The more I thought about it though the more I think most people's gripes with them stem from the fact that they're closer to a premiership than clubs who haven't won one in 30 or 50 years in some cases. But that's not the Giants fault. Every person in that club is working their arse off towards the Giants success. Yeah they had concessions at the start but they've also lost a fair amount of that talent to poachers who sell them "playing in front of big crowds".

But when their players debut they feel the same genuine excitement that players do at the Tigers or Pies or Bombers or Blues.

I dunno.... they're not going to fold anytime soon so we may as well get over it.

That's the thing though, they have lost ludicrous amounts of talent to Melbourne based clubs but in return, they have been greatly compensated for the original handouts the AFL handed them to begin with.
It's a never ending cycle for them now. They were set up in such a way they were never going fail.
I understand Gold Coast were handsomely helped out as well when they entered the comp but it's been a complete stuff up from head to toe by administrators, recruiters and alike. They have themselves to blame but even after all of this, the AFL is helping them out as we speak and will ensure they become something before it really begins to smell.

I struggle to understand why opposition supporters think GWS won't be there or about's next year and beyond. I may be missing something but I see a very talented list at the right age demographic to compete for silverware not just in 2020, but a few years ahead.
Coniglio re-signing only further enhances their chances.
If they lose Jeremy Cameron, that's the one who could knock them around a bit. 150 games, 400 goals, special talent.

Yeah, you could look at as a team that was created in the urban NRL sprawl of Sydney and they were given lots of draft picks which basically locked in a good era.

Or a bunch of talented footballers and coaching staff have developed a culture and successful AFL list in a part of the country where grassroots support is limited, could win a Grand final or the very least still have a better season than 16 other clubs, some of whom have histories and a supporter base that started before Australia even become an 'official country'.

#grandfinalmindgames

chewy that sells you one thing and gives you another.. Ms Storm will deliver and get you to a place you never thought of...
We shall all be proud of our Storm.. we are blowing a high wind for another year...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Storm was hardly a start up club, no matter revisionist history.

They were developed from the Western Reds. Got some very good senior players, the junior organisation, and lots of infrastructure.

Storm had a huge head start over whatever was given to GWS.
Yes, but essentially they were a new club within a new market. And with a huge head start as you say, they very much mirror the imposter that some people label GWS as. Yet when it comes to wanting an NRL team to win a premiership, who do Victorian’s want? A Canterbury Bulldogs or St George? Or Melbourne Storm?

Obvious answer.

That's the thing though, they have lost ludicrous amounts of talent to Melbourne based clubs but in return, they have been greatly compensated for the original handouts the AFL handed them to begin with.
It's a never ending cycle for them now. They were set up in such a way they were never going fail.
I understand Gold Coast were handsomely helped out as well when they entered the comp but it's been a complete stuff up from head to toe by administrators, recruiters and alike. They have themselves to blame but even after all of this, the AFL is helping them out as we speak and will ensure they become something before it really begins to smell.

I struggle to understand why opposition supporters think GWS won't be there or about's next year and beyond. I may be missing something but I see a very talented list at the right age demographic to compete for silverware not just in 2020, but a few years ahead.
Coniglio re-signing only further enhances their chances.
If they lose Jeremy Cameron, that's the one who could knock them around a bit. 150 games, 400 goals, special talent.
And your comments re GC lead me to my point that draft picks are only one element. What people don’t realise is that the administrative side of it is really well done. Same with Hawthorn, Geelong, Richmond. Yet for some reason there’s constant bitterness re concessions. Makes no sense.

Yes, but essentially they were a new club within a new market. And with a huge head start as you say, they very much mirror the imposter that some people label GWS as. Yet when it comes to wanting an NRL team to win a premiership, who do Victorian’s want? A Canterbury Bulldogs or St George? Or Melbourne Storm?

Obvious answer.

As a Victorian I can tell you that the vast majority simply do not care. I'm more likely to hear someone talk about V8 Supercars/Bathurst than Melbourne Storm.

Their supporter base would suggest otherwise
What supporter base? They only just got barely over 20k crowds for their home finals and more watched the GWS final on Sydney TV than Storm on Melbourne TV this weekend past, despite having a worse time slot. Very few really care even a bit about them at all. Storm probably have a lot more supporters in Qld than here.

As for GWS, apart from Richmond supporters most Victorians (like me) will be barracking for them on Saturday.

What supporter base? They only just got barely over 20k crowds for their home finals and more watched the GWS final on Sydney TV than Storm on Melbourne TV this weekend past, despite having a worse time slot. Very few really care even a bit about them at all. Storm probably have a lot more supporters in Qld than here.

As for GWS, apart from Richmond supporters most Victorians (like me) will be barracking for them on Saturday.

I think a lot of the Storm supporter base are Kiwis living in Melbourne that want their rugby fix. Victorians might nominate Storm as their 'team' if pressed, but it doesn't mean they watch it or care about it in the slightest. Just like how Sydney are apparently the most supported AFL team, supported by millions that never watch and have never spent a cent on the game.

The Storm are simply the most professional club in the NRL.. Broncos had Smith, Cronk and Slater under their noses, hesitated on signing them and Melbourne tuned all 3 into Immortals.

So many no name players come from Sydney clubs and Bellamy turns then into Origin level players Addo Carr and Finucane amongst others..
I wouldn’t say they’ve been bankrolled to the extent that GWS have and obviously the NRL doesn’t have a draft either, it’s simply been a matter of having a superbly run football department who continually make excellent decisions on choosing players to fit their systems and prosper.

I’m starting to think that GWS could become a powerhouse inthe same manner, they’ve been very impressive in this finals series and could genuinely win it on Saturday.

The Storm are simply the most professional club in the NRL.. Broncos had Smith, Cronk and Slater under their noses, hesitated on signing them and Melbourne tuned all 3 into Immortals.

So many no name players come from Sydney clubs and Bellamy turns then into Origin level players Addo Carr and Finucane amongst others..
I wouldn’t say they’ve been bankrolled to the extent that GWS have and obviously the NRL doesn’t have a draft either, it’s simply been a matter of having a superbly run football department who continually make excellent decisions on choosing players to fit their systems and prosper.

I’m starting to think that GWS could become a powerhouse inthe same manner, they’ve been very impressive in this finals series and could genuinely win it on Saturday.

Great post and spot on.

As a Victorian I can tell you that the vast majority simply do not care. I'm more likely to hear someone talk about V8 Supercars/Bathurst than Melbourne Storm.

As a fellow Victorian I can't remember the last time I spoke to someone about V8 Supercars or Bathurst---- but I've got many friends who I speak about the Melbourne Storm with; even been to a few games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back