Melbourne Team of the 21st Century

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't he start crying at one of his first training sessions?

Of all the 1st round draft pick failures, he's clearly the worst for mine. Out within 2 years? Not one other club even looked at him.

Crazy
To be fair I’m pretty sure I started crying watching the live draft that night when I saw that we hadn’t picked up Jack Darling at 12.

Jace Bode needs more love here. Every time I watched him play I thought of the character Bode from Harry Potter who was made effectively brain dead by touching a magic orb but it wasn’t his name that made me make the comparison.

Throwing this one out there: Luke Molan. Poor bloke just couldn't get right. But one could argue the incredibly deep, festering rot that is the MFC of the last X number of years could've started right with him. Not his fault of course - he's merely a symbol of it. But of all the superstars in that draft from #1 to #80, all the premierships and bnfs and brownlows and normies and 200+ gamers, we picked the one guy (in the top 10) who played zero games. Our first pick in the superdraft and it's gone. Melbourned.
What was this thread about again?

Throwing this one out there: Luke Molan. Poor bloke just couldn't get right. But one could argue the incredibly deep, festering rot that is the MFC of the last X number of years could've started right with him. Not his fault of course - he's merely a symbol of it. But of all the superstars in that draft from #1 to #80, all the premierships and bnfs and brownlows and normies and 200+ gamers, we picked the one guy (in the top 10) who played zero games. Our first pick in the superdraft and it's gone. Melbourned.

It was a terrible pick to begin with. Molan wasnt top 10 material. Probably not even top 20 pick material. Huge reach in a draft with talent aplenty.

Craig Cameron's reign of terror and first round wiffs cost us between 2000-2006

Not Saying we'd have won a flag but we could have made a granny if he chose better than Lamb, Molan, Bell, Smith, Bate, Dunn etc etc

Scott Thompson probably the only player to actually live upnto the pick. And he didn't do it with us.

Brock was good for the first few years til he became a turtle.

Don’t worry - you’re still on topic. Thread title is Melbourne Team of the 21st Century. Doesn’t specify “good” team

Then we down graded from Cameron to Prendergast and Harrington... How is that possible?

What an absolute **** BP was. Had 500 first round picks, didnt hit on one of them.

Not Saying we'd have won a flag but we could have made a granny if he chose better than Lamb, Molan, Bell, Smith, Bate, Dunn etc etc

Scott Thompson probably the only player to actually live upnto the pick. And he didn't do it with us.

The way we developed players, we could have drafted Hodge and Judd and turned them into potatotes. McLean looked good for a season or so, then was awful. Bate looked reasonably threatening for his first season and then turned into a half-forward version of McLean. None of our players had any composure or football smarts - its like all they did at training was kick to kick and run laps.

The way we developed players, we could have drafted Hodge and Judd and turned them into potatotes. McLean looked good for a season or so, then was awful. Bate looked reasonably threatening for his first season and then turned into a half-forward version of McLean. None of our players had any composure or football smarts - its like all they did at training was kick to kick and run laps.
Those were the days. Kick to kick with actual footballs. These days training at the MFC seemingly involves meetings, learning cliches and having near-death experiences doing aqua aerobics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit harsh on Dunn, he's managed to be a serviceable player over 15 seasons and 200 games. Never a superstar but for a late first rounder I reckon that's pretty good bang for buck.

Richmond drafted even worse than us in 2004. Five top 20 picks which they used on Deledio, Tambling, Meyer, Pattison and Polo. 4 spuds and one good player that got injured a lot. Meanwhile Hawks took Roughy, Buddy and Lewis with their three. Still hope for us yet.

It was a terrible pick to begin with. Molan wasnt top 10 material. Probably not even top 20 pick material. Huge reach in a draft with talent aplenty.
You’re missing the point. No matter who we picked from such a rich talent pool they would have suffered some cruel career ending injury. If we’d picked Dal Santo or Mitchell they probably would have disintegrated on a molecular level upon walking through the club doors.

Incidentally though we got Brad Miller who while largely pox wasn’t awful for quite a late pick.

I'm not even sure they ran laps. We know Sylvia didn't.

A bit harsh on Dunn, he's managed to be a serviceable player over 15 seasons and 200 games. Never a superstar but for a late first rounder I reckon that's pretty good bang for buck.

Richmond drafted even worse than us in 2004. Five top 20 picks which they used on Deledio, Tambling, Meyer, Pattison and Polo. 4 spuds and one good player that got injured a lot. Meanwhile Hawks took Roughy, Buddy and Lewis with their three. Still hope for us yet.

Wasnt a go at Dunn, he was a good solid player. His talent was more on the level of a third rounder tho, not a first .

I'm not even sure they ran laps. We know Sylvia didn't.

Cardio would have been an unpleasant distraction. Time spent on anything other than the guns is wasted.

Cardio would have been an unpleasant distraction. Time spent on anything other than the guns is wasted.

Ross Lyon wasn't of the same opinion. Such a nerd.

Oh boy!
B: Mitch White - Tom Gillies - Tom McNamara
HB: James Strauss - Steven May - Josh Wagner
C: Jimmy Toumpas - Tom Couch - Sam Blease
HF: Jace Bode - Jesse Hogan - Michael Evans
F: Isaac Weetra - Michael Newton - Cale Morton
R: John Meesen - Corey Maynard - James Magner
I: Michael Clark - Mitch Clisby - Matt Jones - Josh Tynan

Good to see “pickles” getting a mention. What about Sam blease? Nope just saw him. Juice Newton?

Goodwin as assistant

I think we should pick dual head coaches in honour of the shoddy policy of continually picking dual captains.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back