blackdiamond

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 7, 2000
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints, Detroit Tigers
Which players do you believe are most under the pump in 2001? Below I have a list and the reasons why, would love to hear your thoughts!

Shane Bond - It will be interesting to see how well he comes back from his knee injury. I believe he is our preferred option in defence before Jared Poulton mainly because of his speed and silky skills, he just seems to be able to get out of those sticky positions in defence much like Gavin Wanganeen. His pace after the knee injury is going to be a major factor.

Josh Carr - Needs to keep up the intensity he showed in 2000. Will have to fight hard for a spot as it was much easier for him to find a spot last year due to us trying a lot of youngsters.

Che Cockatoo-Colins - Injuries are the only thing that will stop him from staying on the list for 2002. We have seen so little of him so far its about time he gave Port back something for being so patient.

Mark Harwood - Has been on the list since our first season and has the potential but can he deliver. Will have to fight hard with Cornes and Lockwood for a forward position but is probably more favoured to find a position in the back line.

Bowen Lockwood - Just has to fight the injuries, he has so far had a injury free pre-season on a modified program. This boy could be anything but how patient can Port be if 2001 doesn't work out as well?

Brayden Lyle - Seems to be on the outer a little. You can tell he has the passion for Port Adelaide and always fights hard for the ball but he probably doesn't get enough of it these days and wastes the ball.

Adam Morgan - Two seasons on the list already so how much longer can we wait? With Meady and Paxman getting towards the end of their careers they really need to stand up soon, if these players retire at the end of 2001 it maybe the only thing that saves him.

Jarrod Schofield - Is Western Australia calling? Finds it hard to get a regular spot in the side, we have many running type players and a few younger ones that I am sure Port would like to push through. If Jarrod gets limited opportunities he may begin to wonder why he is here and look at going home.

Nathan Steinberner - Much like Cockatoo-Collins he must start getting over the injuries and racking up more game time. He has been with the side since the beginning and has only managed 16 games, so its this year or bust for Nathan.

Michael Stevens - Into his third year on the list and has played a total of 8 games. He must look at improving and getting more games, he can't just stand back now he must lead from the front. We can't just think he will turn out like his brother Anthony.

Toby Thurstans - See Adam Morgan, Toby is in exactly the same boat and probably a little behind Adam at the same time.

------------------
Port Adelaide Forever

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
I agree with most of your assessments Scott, but i think Josh Carr showed enough quality last year to avoid being under the pump in 2001.

One player who may be under some pressure, but not for football reasons, is our number seven. I expect a lot of hostility toward him from the crowds and opposition players. I hope team morale isn't affected if he can't handle it. Enough said.

Adam Kingsley's star has faded since he won the B&F. Not to the extent of Brayden Lyle, but hopefully a fully fit Kinga will see him find his best form.

Chad Cornes has all the talent, there's just something about him that remains to convince me - maybe attitude, consistency? Perhaps a bit of sibling rivalry with Kane in the squad now will have Chad putting his best foot forward. Same goes for Derek Murray.

Lastly, Scott Bassett needs to make some sort of impact in 2001 or he may as well be traded. Let him join his brother at the Camrys and we'll take Tyson Stenglein in return
wink.gif

blackdiamond

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 7, 2000
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints, Detroit Tigers
Grave Danger!

Just in reference to number 7, I would think it would be pretty low of people to have a go at him for some actions in the off season that at the end of the day turned out to be no more than unsubstantial accusations.

We don't really know what part if any he played. One would like to think we could keep an ex number 39 as far away from our players as possible, he is obviously a bad influence. The fact that he is now coaching in Adelaide is not a great help.

I know I will be cheering him on, of course there are always going to be those people that s****** and give him bad remarks but they are no more than very little people, not worthy Port supporters.

Just onto Adam Kingsley, you are right, he really needs to do more but I feel he may have been injured a bit last season. He just didn't seem to have the run and looked really tired. He also needs to step up but the difference between him and most of those other players I mentioned is that he is tradeable while the others may just be delistings. Josh Francou should work more on his delivery of the ball as well, he wastes it so much, hes a good work horse on the track but we need goals out of him.

------------------
Port Adelaide Forever

Back