Prediction Melbourne, the next dynasty club.

Shooter#17

Team Captain
May 9, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees, KC Chiefs
Nothing like going the early crow but this was the most dominant finals series performance since the bombers in 2000 and with a list demographic that lines up favourably with both the Hawks in 12 and Cats in 07, I really cant see this side not winning at least another 2 flags with the current group.
No side since the Cats in 07 would have got close to the Dees on Saturday night, absolute beast mode.

Last edited:

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Its certainly possible, but I find these sorts of predictions happen with every Grand Final. I remember people talking about the Collingwood dynasty when they won in 2010 because the age bracket was good. If you had asked me after 2018 if I thought West Coast would win another one I probably would have said yes; no Gaff or Nat or Shephard plus the addition of Kelly, seemed like a no brainer. Sydney after 2012 was another, etc etc.

Its very possible, but also Melb had very few injuries to key players. If Petracca or Oliver or Gawn get a long term injury, it could very well bring them back to the pack. Its just a little hard to predict the future.

But appreciate the prediction all the same.

Noidnadroj

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Nothing like going the early crow but this was the most dominant finals series performance since the bombers in 2000 and with a list demographic that lines up favourably with both the Hawks in 21 and Cats in 07, I really cant see this side not winning at least another 2 flags with the current group.
No side since the Cats in 07 would have got close to the Dees on Saturday night, absolute beast mode.

And how did the dynasty of the Bombers of 2000 go? Demons were ultra-impressive, but also had basically no injuries for the entire season, then played a Brisbane side missing Hipwood, McStay and Rayner. Then played an ageing Geelong team missing Stewart, O’Connor and Parfitt. Then played a Dogs team who’d spent the previous weeks traveling all over the country.

So everything fell into place absolutely perfectly this season, and Demons took full advantage. But talk of a dynasty is way too premature as they won’t get another season like 2021 with no injuries and under strength or underdone teams every week of finals.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

fake tyrone

Team Captain
Jun 15, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Warrington Wolves, ACF Fiorentina
I think there's a good chance this Demons outfit can go back-to-back but the Bombers of 2000 serve as the cautionary tale, as do the Pies of 2010. If the Tigers come up short again then I wouldn't mind seeing the Dees saluting a second time but we've got an entire season yet to unfold. In any case this Melbourne team should be right up there (barring a long injury list).

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
One injury to Petracca's knee and bye bye dynasty.

Thats what made Richmond 2019 so good, Rance copped it and Tigers still won another 2 to complete the dynasty.

You got the confidence now, but is the hunger the same? Maybe it is, but is another team hungrier?

Normally the downfall of a dynasty is the loss of key personnel - tigers retained many their guns for a few years into the dynasty, demons already have lost Burgess.

Tap Tap Tapperoo

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’ve seen plenty of sides look well set up after a premiership, but never go on with it.

Who knows. Injury could hit, some players lose form. We could be sitting here in a couple of years time wondering how some of those role players ever won premierships. History is full of teams who get it right for a year, but can’t replicate to the same level.

I think there's a good chance this Demons outfit can go back-to-back but the Bombers of 2000 serve as the cautionary tale, as do the Pies of 2010.
Both those sides and Geelong 2008 won the minor premiership and made the GF. If we do that much the rest is a lot of luck.

JP2

Club Legend
Apr 7, 2003
Prague
AFL Club
Melbourne
There always seems to be a presumption that young and good translates into old and good, but form lines are never linear, whether for individual players or teams. Injuries can happen, hunger can drop off, the game can change, others can go psst you. Tell me there was a single person in the world who would have predicted a Dogs vs Demons grand final this year, with Tigers finishing 12th based on recent performances, for example.

Nothing in footy can ever be taken for granted, let alone the prediction of a dynasty before the fact. I'm happy with one flag for the moment, anything else will be a bonus.

mehow2g

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Their performances in finals series is definitely a step above Richmond in their prime, they remind me of Geelong or hawks the way they work together and how confident they're.

They could drop off the face off the earth or come back stronger.

I don't know about dynasty but with the teams age demographic you wopuld expect them to at least be up the pointy end of the ladder for 4-5 years. Then anything could/can happen

Of the premiership team only Hibberd is over 30 and there is every chancehe gets over taken by Smith & Hunt next year

Gawn and May turn 30 next year so they only have a few years left at a high level and Jackson and Tomlinson should replace them

Having a core group of 25 and unders including Petracca, Oliver, Brayshaw, Salem, Langdon, Lever, Fritsch, Picket, Jackson, Petty, Spargo, Neal-Bullen, Rivers, Sparrow & Weideman bodes well for the future

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
One injury to Petracca's knee and bye bye dynasty.

Thats what made Richmond 2019 so good, Rance copped it and Tigers still won another 2 to complete the dynasty.

You got the confidence now, but is the hunger the same? Maybe it is, but is another team hungrier?

Normally the downfall of a dynasty is the loss of key personnel - tigers retained many their guns for a few years into the dynasty, demons already have lost Burgess.
Knee injury to Martin and bye bye Richmond dynasty.
If it was key back like May(as the Rance comparison) Melbourne might be able to cover that

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I don't know about dynasty but with the teams age demographic you wopuld expect them to at least be up the pointy end of the ladder for 4-5 years. Then anything could/can happen

Of the premiership team only Hibberd is over 30 and there is every chancehe gets over taken by Smith & Hunt next year

Gawn and May turn 30 next year so they only have a few years left at a high level and Jackson and Tomlinson should replace them

Having a core group of 25 and unders including Petracca, Oliver, Brayshaw, Salem, Langdon, Lever, Fritsch, Picket, Jackson, Petty, Spargo, Neal-Bullen, Rivers, Sparrow & Weideman bodes well for the future
The 25 and under part is intriguing to me because it's cooked how quickly stuff can change.

I don't think anybody saw this happening to our 2016 team (to our 25 and unders):

Jake Stringer (fall out with the club - traded the following year)
Clay Smith (persistent knee injuries - retired after playing just 8 more games)
Tom Liberatore (form has returned but did an ACL in 2018)
Shane Biggs (retired 20 games later)
Luke Dahlhaus (traded 2 years later)
Jordan Roughead (traded 2 years later)
Joel Hamling (requested a trade after the flag to be with family)
Tom Boyd (retired from back and mental health issues within 2 years)
Toby McLean (has done 2 ACLs since then)
Fletcher Roberts (this one is cheeky, I think Stevie Wonder saw his delisting coming)
Mitch Wallis (didn't play in the premiership but broke his leg in 2016)
Jack Redpath (didn't play in the premiership but did his ACL in the same game that Wallis broke his leg)

Melbourne having a dynasty would be tolerable completely so I'm not against it happening. It just blows my mind how quickly things can change to an otherwise stable and healthy list of youngsters. Heck look at Collingwoods 2010 team and what happened after.

Dee Train

Celebrating superiority since 2021
Aug 17, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
And how did the dynasty of the Bombers of 2000 go? Demons were ultra-impressive, but also had basically no injuries for the entire season, then played a Brisbane side missing Hipwood, McStay and Rayner. Then played an ageing Geelong team missing Stewart, O’Connor and Parfitt. Then played a Dogs team who’d spent the previous weeks traveling all over the country.

So everything fell into place absolutely perfectly this season, and Demons took full advantage. But talk of a dynasty is way too premature as they won’t get another season like 2021 with no injuries and under strength or underdone teams every week of finals.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Dees still haven’t beaten anyone good yet apparently

Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
Thread needs more 7ft Yank playing the game of his life in a 2022 Prelim..lol

Good side is Melbourne, i'll admit i thought expectation would get to them and they'd crumble, came close but credit to them they got the job done.
Problem is, tigers will bounce back and a few other clubs will improve.
No team is unbeatable, not many would have picked the Hawks in 08 after the season geelong had, not many would have picked Collingwood in the 18 Prelim either after Richmond's run.
Can they do it, yes, will they...

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
The 25 and under part is intriguing to me because it's cooked how quickly stuff can change.

I don't think anybody saw this happening to our 2016 team (to our 25 and unders):

Jake Stringer (fall out with the club - traded the following year)
Clay Smith (persistent knee injuries - retired after playing just 8 more games)
Tom Liberatore (form has returned but did an ACL in 2018)
Shane Biggs (retired 20 games later)
Luke Dahlhaus (traded 2 years later)
Jordan Roughead (traded 2 years later)
Joel Hamling (requested a trade after the flag to be with family)
Tom Boyd (retired from back and mental health issues within 2 years)
Toby McLean (has done 2 ACLs since then)
Fletcher Roberts (this one is cheeky, I think Stevie Wonder saw his delisting coming)
Mitch Wallis (didn't play in the premiership but broke his leg in 2016)
Jack Redpath (didn't play in the premiership but did his ACL in the same game that Wallis broke his leg)

Melbourne having a dynasty would be tolerable completely so I'm not against it happening. It just blows my mind how quickly things can change to an otherwise stable and healthy list of youngsters. Heck look at Collingwoods 2010 team and what happened after.
Similar thing happened to us after 2008 with winning the flag with just 4 27 and over. Took 4 years to get back to a GF

Flags as a young side doesn't automatically mean future success

Back