Jerome

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows, Centrals
One of the news reports tonight stated that Torney (back injury), Smith, Massie and Ladhams (?) were out of this week's site.

They also stated that McGregor was in, and I can't remember who else was included.

Did anyone else see the report? Three players were listed as inclusions - who are the other 2?

Well here's the squad:

John Meesen, Matthew Clarke, Fergus Watts, Nathan Van Berlo, Nathan Bassett, Tyson Edwards, Matthew Bode, Robert Shirley, Ben Hudson, Hayden Skipworth, Ken McGregor, Scott Welsh, Graham Johncock, Mark Stevens, Ian Perrie, Andrew McLeod, Brett Burton, Ben Rutten, Jacob Schuback, Scott Stevens, James Begley, Mark Ricciuto, Brent Reilly, Simon Goodwin, Trent Hentschel, Martin Mattner, Nathan Bock.

Jerome said:
One of the news reports tonight stated that Torney (back injury), Smith, Massie and Ladhams (?) were out of this week's site.

They also stated that McGregor was in, and I can't remember who else was included.

Did anyone else see the report? Three players were listed as inclusions - who are the other 2?
Skipworth & S Stevens were the other 2 inclusions.

Time to settle the side down, so I can't disagree with the outs!

Possible side:
B: Begley, Rutten, Bassett
HB: Goodwin, McGregor, Johncock
C: Reilly, Ricciuto, Mattner
HF: Hentschel, Perrie, Burton
F: Edwards, M Stevens, Welsh
R: Hudson, Shirley, McLeod
I: Clarke, Van Berlo, Skipworth, Bock
E: Meeson, Bode, Schuback, S Stevens

- Would give Shirley a tagging role to get in some practice for Judd (pity Yze is not playing).
- Give Goody a full game for match fitness, but on a HBF with a view to slotting in Doughty or Hart for Round 1 (given he will miss through suspension).
- Keep our gun midfielders fresh through rotations.
- Must settle the forward structure.

maccas_no1 said:
Bring on Friday arvo, very much looking forward to this game ;)

And don't forget your match report!!

This is the big test of your journalistic abilities, Marty. The quality of reports on this board has been about 10 times Rucci level this year, which makes it about average!! :D

Seriously, we'll be looking forward to some thoughts on the game, best players, and style of play etc.

Enjoy the game mate - lucky bastard!! ;)

I know it's important to bed the side down as much as possible, but I hope that Van Berlo, Schuback, Watts and Meesen all get a run.

One of the big factors for new recruits is the regularity of playing away, and it seems that sometimes (often?) it takes a while to the routine of getting on an early flight, having a run in a strange parkland, sleeping in a strange bed with maybe a snoring or sleepwalking room-mate, etc. Takes a while before they can adapt to that and play good footy on the road.

Given that Schuback and Watts have only travelled with the team once or twice, and that Van Berlo and Meesen are the most likely out of the current crop to feature this season, I'd really like them to get a real "away" trip under their belts.

macca23 said:
And don't forget your match report!!

This is the big test of your journalistic abilities, Marty. The quality of reports on this board has been about 10 times Rucci level this year, which makes it about average!!

Seriously, we'll be looking forward to some thoughts on the game, best players, and style of play etc.

Enjoy the game mate - lucky bastard!!

LOL mmmmmmmm marty's journalistic abilities :eek:

Nah should be all good, depends how many ale's I have.

Yeah head to Melbourne tonight, Im getting away from all the tree hugging combie driving inbred hippees for the w/e ;)

marvin said:
I know it's important to bed the side down as much as possible, but I hope that Van Berlo, Schuback, Watts and Meesen all get a run.

One of the big factors for new recruits is the regularity of playing away, and it seems that sometimes (often?) it takes a while to the routine of getting on an early flight, having a run in a strange parkland, sleeping in a strange bed with maybe a snoring or sleepwalking room-mate, etc. Takes a while before they can adapt to that and play good footy on the road.

Given that Schuback and Watts have only travelled with the team once or twice, and that Van Berlo and Meesen are the most likely out of the current crop to feature this season, I'd really like them to get a real "away" trip under their belts.

You got 50% of your wish with the Outs being Clarke (groin niggle), Schuback and Watts.

With Clarke out, Meesen will get a decent crack at it, as he's one of only two ruckmen in the 24 man squad that will play. Huddo will be the main man, but it's still a big ask for young Meesen, who will be a very good player in time.

Van Berlo was always a certainty to play this week after a pretty good trial last week with an excellent last quarter when the chips were down.

Schuback on the other hand was a certainty IMO to be dropped after an absolute p*ss-poor effort as a crumbing forward in what should have been ideal weather conditions for him. Was never anywhere near the drop of the ball, and may just have put a line through his name for the year on that very poor effort.

Watts was on the bordeline. Didn't get a lot of the ball although he competed well both in the air and on the ground. He's better served IMO by building his confidence up in the Eagles playing at CHF, his rightful spot.

I think the selectors got it pretty right overall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

macca23 said:
Schuback on the other hand was a certainty IMO to be dropped after an absolute p*ss-poor effort as a crumbing forward in what should have been ideal weather conditions for him. Was never anywhere near the drop of the ball, and may just have put a line through his name for the year on that very poor effort.

It is very frustrating, I have seen Schuback play some good games and have thought to myself he's a footy player but then the following week he would suck and would be lucky to get a touch and would be dropped the week after.

We seem to have too many of those type of players on our list that are inconsistent from game to game. Some are due to being prone to injury i.e Begley, Doughty, Torney or just can't put a string of good games together Schuback, Ladhams, Bode, Biglands, Bock.

In the past we probably have blamed Ayres for not giving them the correct guidance or enough of a go , so it will be interesting to see how some these guys go under NC.

Markthirtytwo said:
I take it you didnt go to Womadelaide then? :p
Nothing wrong with Womadelaide - some awesome bands this year, along with Cooper beer, Barossa reds,... & so what if there are a few alternate people around. All good for the soul.

baaaallllll said:
It is very frustrating, I have seen Schuback play some good games and have thought to myself he's a footy player but then the following week he would suck and would be lucky to get a touch and would be dropped the week after.

We seem to have too many of those type of players on our list that are inconsistent from game to game. Some are due to being prone to injury i.e Begley, Doughty, Torney or just can't put a string of good games together Schuback, Ladhams, Bode, Biglands, Bock.

In the past we probably have blamed Ayres for not giving them the correct guidance or enough of a go , so it will be interesting to see how some these guys go under NC.
Yeah, i'd like our guys to work on consistency.. like having a blinder then have a cruddy game.. MORE CONSISTENCY

Quarter time score:
Melbourne 5 3 33
Adelaide 2 3 15

Goals to Stevo and Welsh

According to commentators getting beaten at stoppages and poor kicking for goal.

Edit: sp

Obviously some concerns as Fergus mentioned but by the sounds of it there are more positives to take out of this game.
Sound like they are playing a fast and direct game....finally!!

Bit of a concern with Scott Welsh hopefully nothing serious...just came off :eek: Something wrong with his leg....oh ********!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back