HB: Nathan Jones, Marty Hore, Christian Salem
C: Kyle Dunkley, Jack Viney, Billy Stretch
HF: Corey Wagner, Bayley Fritsch, James Harmes
F: Jordan Lewis, Jake Melksham, Christian Petracca
FOL: Max Gawn, Angus Brayshaw, Clayton Oliver
I/C: Charlie Spargo, Jay Kennedy Harris, Alex Neal-Bullen, Kade Chandler
EMG: Braydon Preuss, Jayden Hunt, Jay Lockhart, Declan Keilty
IN: Marty Hore, Billy Stretch, Charlie Spargo, Alex Neal-Bullen, Kade Chandler
OUT: Harrison Petty (Injured), Oscar McDonald (Injured), Oskar Baker (Omitted), Steven May (Injured), Jayden Hunt (Omitted)
NEW: Kade Chandler

SYDNEY SWANS
B: Callum Mills, Dane Rampe, Aliir Aliir
HB: Jake Lloyd, Tom McCartin, Jordan Dawson
C: Isaac Heeney, George Hewett, Oliver Florent
HF: Ben Ronke, Nick Blakey, Tom Papley
F: Kieren Jack, Sam Reid, Daniel Menzel
FOL: Hayden McLean, Josh P. Kennedy, Luke Parker
I/C: Ryan Clarke, Robbie Fox, James Bell, James Rowbottom
EMG: Joel Amartey, Lewis Melican, Ryley Stoddart, James Rose
IN: Kieren Jack
OUT: Zak Jones (Injured)

Where and when: MCG, Friday August 16, 7.50pm AEST

TV, radio and online:
Click here for broadcast guide

What it means for Melbourne: A chance to measure itself against a team in a similar situation and a team that it has already beaten this season. The wooden spoon is still a mathematical possibility for the Demons, although highly unlikely.

What it means for Sydney: The Swans can't go any higher than 14th position on the ladder but could drop as low as 17th. With two rounds to go, it's about playing the kids and looking to next year.

The stat: Melbourne has had awful trouble kicking a winning score, averaging 10 goals a game. By comparison, last year saw the Demons average 15 goals a match. Scoring is down across the competition, but that's a significant drop off.

The match-up: Clayton Oliver v George Hewett
Hewett kept Port Adelaide's Travis Boak to just 13 disposals last week, 10 below his previous lowest for the year. Oliver, ranked 11 in the Official AFL Player Ratings, is averaging 30 disposals and seven clearances this year.

It’s a big week for: Sydney's "makeshift" ruckmen
With Callum Sinclair, Sam Naismith and Darcy Cameron all sidelined, Sydney is rotating forward Sam Reid, defender Aliir Aliir and fifth-gamer Hayden McLean through the ruck. A tough test looms against All Australian Max Gawn, with the Swans beaten in the clearances last week.

Big call: Christian Petracca has quietly been building a strong season in a poor year for his team and will finish with 25 disposals and two goals against the Swans.

703466_lp.jpg

Prediction: Sydney by 10 points

More By Sarah Black

Last edited:
Penalty shoot out, 47 Ronin on another channel at 8.30 pm. It's nothing like the true story, but the names
of the two lords are factual or historically correct.

Oooo weee what a Friday night blockbuster...... The AFL really need to consider floating rounds for the last 4 weeks.
Nice avatar the "Brisbane Bontempelli" Mitch Robinson do you know he kicked five goals in the two games
versus the Bulldogs this year while opposed to the Bont. Seriously Underrated Player.

Sorry I know this is Melb versus Syd, but I was easily distracted.

What is the point in the Swans recruiting Michael Knoll if they aren’t going to play him? With Sinclair and Naismith both out injured he should be playing right now.

Will be a close game. Melbourne I feel will give plenty and it’ll be a big game for Petracca. May bag 4 or 5 and Gawn will be dominant with 50+ hit outs. Unfortunately it’ll someone like Heeney stealing the show. 3 goals and 30+ touches, will be everywhere an unstoppable. Our backline won’t be able to cope with the flood of Swans entries.

Frost will hold Reid but Ronke and Paplay will kick 3 each. You know the Swans will play 4 quarters and we will give 2.5 quarters of effort. Scrappy, dirty, wet, poor disposal all night from both sides. Swans by 17.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is the point in the Swans recruiting Michael Knoll if they aren’t going to play him? With Sinclair and Naismith both out injured he should be playing right now.

Because If they play him the most depleted midfield we have had in years might win a few clearances that would cause a few scoring opportunities that may create a few goals that may create them being in front after the final siren that would mean a win. Beggers can't be choosers after not winning many this year but at this point is that their goal ? K.Jack who is moving like a geriatric on a walking frame being selected tells me it is not.

If Sydney get flogged tonight, I am now convinced The Swans put the cue in the rack and are now 'tanking for a top 4/5 pick.

I know The Swans have been hit hard by injuries, but they have turned to total cactus since giving Longmire an extension.

Makes me wonder if Horse has been instructed by higher powers to go all out tank, by far the most disappointing team in 2019 for me, giving all the talent at their disposal

If Sydney get flogged tonight, I am now convinced The Swans put the cue in the rack and are now 'tanking for a top 4/5 pick.

I know The Swans have been hit hard by injuries, but they have turned to total cactus since giving Longmire an extension.

Makes me wonder if Horse has been instructed by higher powers to go all out tank, by far the most disappointing team in 2019 for me, giving all the talent at their disposal
Should have beaten GWS
Pushed Geelong the week before.
Lost by a point away to Freo the week before that.

They haven't put the cue in the rack.

I haven't been less excited about a game in ages when it comes to tonights fixture. A Friday Nighter of all games. I'll still have to watch this as opposed to inviting the in laws over.

My team cant even get one friday night game in 9 years and the afl schedule this exact match up twice on friday night this year, round 4 and round 22.

Yeh yeh i know we are terrible.
But we start the year each year good so we should have had for example the round 4 game as a friday nighter.

Im pretty certain thats what has happened

I haven't been less excited about a game in ages when it comes to tonights fixture. A Friday Nighter of all games. I'll still have to watch this as opposed to inviting the in laws over.

Gee, it's almost as if you don't rate us.

A lot of talking points, at least on the Swannies side.

Rampe - quiet for a few months. Can he pull out something special?
James Bell - I hear he's unveiling a new dance step
Aliir - can he fake-contest the ruck and shark Gawn's taps?
Jones v Jones
Blakey - can he do that one cool thing before not doing anything else?

A lot to look forward to.

Back