Preview Melbourne Vs Footscray @ MCG, Round 14, 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah if Frawley comes in Pedersen forward could be a decent option. However I don't think they will risk Frawley against a forward line lacking in firepower. May as well give him an extra week,

I kind of agree with this but then again this is a game we can win, and therefore we should play him if he is fit and can play through a niggle.

If Frawley comes in I would prefer Sellar come in for Pederson and play up forward. Pederson was terrible when he had the ball last week.

Who is going to tag Griffen? maybe Dunn as he did a good job on Judd.

Is Jamar a chance to return? Still like to see big Max playing AFL even up forward.

If Frawley comes in I would prefer Sellar come in for Pederson and play up forward. Pederson was terrible when he had the ball last week.

Who is going to tag Griffen? maybe Dunn as he did a good job on Judd.

Is Jamar a chance to return? Still like to see big Max playing AFL even up forward.

Apparently there's a video on the Melbourne website where Jamar was on crutches. Don't think he'll be playing.

Gawn in, up forward.

Frawley 'likely' to return (which usually means 2-3 weeks), McKenzie 50/50 chance. Should be a close match, need a better start, our start against St Kilda was absolutely awful.

Quality write up tasman, no surprises there. Watched Melbourne last week, looked an improved side and if they continue to work together as a side and play with confidence and belief in themselves and the coach I think they could really push us.

Griffen is a must stop for you guys, he's broken pretty much all but one tag this season, and Richmond left him untagged for a half last week and he racked up the possessions. Expect to see either Picken or Lower (wouldn't be surprised to see one of the two dropped) go to Jones, and send Boyd through the middle for his typical 37 disposal game.

Expect to see us get up by around 30 points, but I wouldn't be surprised if it got much closer.

We must stop Griffin. Not convinced McKenzie is the man for the job but boy, we are in for a belting if we let him get away. I think with Frawley back, we can definitely keep their lack luster forward line to a low score. If we can scramble a few goals and be competitive in the middle, there is no reason why we can't test them at the very least.

Went to training once again today, and decided to take a few of my mates who have been to past training sessions (under Neeld that is), all three noting that the intensity is higher under Craig.

Frawley moved solidly, so he should be coming back. Dawes wasn't moving too badly either. Spencer's suspension pissing me off more because he looked a lot better throughout the around the ground drills than Gawn did.

Here's an example of a drill that they did... yes, I decided to take a video instead of pictures. And please, pardon trying to teach my mate about the players on the list (you'll hear it...)

Pendersen for me need to be dropped he needs to asses his skills and work his way into the side again, sure you may be good but you need to be confident also, a key for melbourne to win any games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That video by tasman is great. Plenty of screaming and 'follow me' type leadership.

That's another part from the playing list that's lifted the last couple of weeks. The mood has as well... I wonder why. ;)

Can also hear Brian Royal barking out instructions to D-Rod, really urging him to win the footy.

Ok. It's going to be very hard for me to watch this game due to where I am this weekend.

No BS assessment, are we likely to win this game? If we are, I’ll do everything in my powers including forking out for a hotel room just for the night that carries FoxSports3, or bribing the staff at a pub, to watch this game. I cannot bare to miss watching our only real win of the season.

Ok. It's going to be very hard for me to watch this game due to where I am this weekend.

No BS assessment, are we likely to win this game? If we are, I’ll do everything in my powers including forking out for a hotel room just for the night that carries FoxSports3, or bribing the staff at a pub, to watch this game. I cannot bare to miss watching our only real win of the season.

No we are likely to lose this game BUT it's our best chance of a victory against any other team except GWS this year, unless things turn around drastically. Is it worth bribing people? Probably not!

Round 14 Melbourne team
B: Lynden Dunn, Colin Garland, Dean Terlich
HB: Tom McDonald, James Frawley, Mitch Clisby
C: Jimmy Toumpas, Jack Trengove, Matt Jones
HF: Aaron Davey, Chris Dawes, Sam Blease
F: Jack Fitzpatrick, Jack Watts, David Rodan
FOLL: Max Gawn, Colin Sylvia, Nathan Jones
I/C: Shannon Byrnes, Daniel Nicholson, Dean Kent, Jeremy Howe
EMG: Cam Pedersen, James Magner, James Sellar
IN: James Frawley, Max Gawn
OUT: Jake Spencer (suspension), Cam Pedersen

No f***ing McKenzie you f***ing ripper!

Round 14 Melbourne team
B: Lynden Dunn, Colin Garland, Dean Terlich
HB: Tom McDonald, James Frawley, Mitch Clisby
C: Jimmy Toumpas, Jack Trengove, Matt Jones
HF: Aaron Davey, Chris Dawes, Sam Blease
F: Jack Fitzpatrick, Jack Watts, David Rodan
FOLL: Max Gawn, Colin Sylvia, Nathan Jones
I/C: Shannon Byrnes, Daniel Nicholson, Dean Kent, Jeremy Howe
EMG: Cam Pedersen, James Magner, James Sellar
IN: James Frawley, Max Gawn
OUT: Jake Spencer (suspension), Cam Pedersen

No f***ing McKenzie you f***ing ripper!

At least he's made it to the Emmo List which at least shows that he's not been black-balled.
Maybe Rodan, Davey or Byrnes might stub a toe getting out of the bath.
Or, as is the inclination of older folk, come down with the dreaded Grippe.

Do you have an iPad mate? If you can get Wi-Fi access the AFL Live Tv app gives you a pretty good live stream of every AFL match (via Telstra) for $15 a month.

On another note, fairly sure James Strauss is going to be traded off for a pick outside the top 100 at the end of the year. Or if he's out of contract he'll just take a hike, you'd think. Sigh.

No Markovic for the dogs so they are going for the smaller forward line with Jones, Stringer, Dickson and Bob Murphy as marking targets. Any mix of Frawley, Garland, Dunn and McDonald to line up on those guys. Maybe McDonald to Jones at CHB. Frawley to young Stringer who is dangerous but can run out of legs. Dunn to Dickson and Garland as our in form defender to Murphy who is often their barometer and responsible for their better forward 50's.

It also means they are without a second ruck to back up Minson but I expect Roughead to go into the ruck in bursts. He might even play on Fitzy and then follow him in when he goes in. Dawes and Watts to get Talia and Morris.

The Minson v Gawn/Fitzpatrick match up will be a crucial one. Minson is in top nick getting a lot of hitouts and to advantage as well. He's also using his muscle around the ground. Gawn has to be clever and use his height advantage and also take lots of rests swapping with Fitzy so Minson doesn't wear him into the ground. Should be a good match up to test out our future ruck division.

The other interesting one will be in the midfield. I presume we will tag Griffen which probably means it will be Nicholson with the job. He's got the pace and fitness but I'm not sure he has the defensive mindset. Should be interesting. Mainly he needs to concentrate at stoppages and make sure he doesn't get forward of centre on him.

Do you have an iPad mate? If you can get Wi-Fi access the AFL Live Tv app gives you a pretty good live stream of every AFL match (via Telstra) for $15 a month.

On another note, fairly sure James Strauss is going to be traded off for a pick outside the top 100 at the end of the year. Or if he's out of contract he'll just take a hike, you'd think. Sigh.
Just wait and see whether Craig can get anything out of him. Still along time until the end of the year and when you see how many chances a guy like Dunn gets you think Strauss might not be finished yet. He showed promise before he did his leg. Last year was pretty much a right off and then this year he's played consistently good VFL and when back in the AFL did some nice things before a poor match against Hawthorn. Neeld wasn't a fan and Dunn, Clisby and Terlich have Strauss' spot for now but none of them will ever kick the footy like Strauss does.

Strauss got dropped by Neeld for not laying tackles. First session I saw last Thursday and he's doing wrestling practice with one of the coaches getting into it. I'm not sure whether Neeld took time to actually fix guys mistakes but it was good to see Craig had a plan.

Just wait and see whether Craig can get anything out of him. Still along time until the end of the year and when you see how many chances a guy like Dunn gets you think Strauss might not be finished yet. He showed promise before he did his leg. Last year was pretty much a right off and then this year he's played consistently good VFL and when back in the AFL did some nice things before a poor match against Hawthorn. Neeld wasn't a fan and Dunn, Clisby and Terlich have Strauss' spot for now but none of them will ever kick the footy like Strauss does.

Strauss got dropped by Neeld for not laying tackles. First session I saw last Thursday and he's doing wrestling practice with one of the coaches getting into it. I'm not sure whether Neeld took time to actually fix guys mistakes but it was good to see Craig had a plan.

Yeah that's true. He has some legitimate talent I reckon, does Strauss. Like you said he's a very good kick of the footy which is something we desperately need, coming out of defence AND as that link-up between the midfield and forward line. If Craig does implement a corridor style of football someone like Strauss plays into that well, given he can dispose of it better than almost the rest of our side and has the running ability to break lines.

I wouldn't mind seeing Blease go to Griffen - has taken his defensive game up a few notches of late.

No Markovic for the dogs so they are going for the smaller forward line with Jones, Stringer, Dickson and Bob Murphy as marking targets. Any mix of Frawley, Garland, Dunn and McDonald to line up on those guys. Maybe McDonald to Jones at CHB. Frawley to young Stringer who is dangerous but can run out of legs. Dunn to Dickson and Garland as our in form defender to Murphy who is often their barometer and responsible for their better forward 50's.

It also means they are without a second ruck to back up Minson but I expect Roughead to go into the ruck in bursts. He might even play on Fitzy and then follow him in when he goes in. Dawes and Watts to get Talia and Morris.

The Minson v Gawn/Fitzpatrick match up will be a crucial one. Minson is in top nick getting a lot of hitouts and to advantage as well. He's also using his muscle around the ground. Gawn has to be clever and use his height advantage and also take lots of rests swapping with Fitzy so Minson doesn't wear him into the ground. Should be a good match up to test out our future ruck division.

The other interesting one will be in the midfield. I presume we will tag Griffen which probably means it will be Nicholson with the job. He's got the pace and fitness but I'm not sure he has the defensive mindset. Should be interesting. Mainly he needs to concentrate at stoppages and make sure he doesn't get forward of centre on him.

I think you missed Cordy's inclusion :p He'll play as second ruck/2nd forward, and Jake will play probably as the 3rd forward, and HOPEFULLY in the midfield sometimes, but not sure on midfield.

Roughead will probably play on your resting ruckman whoever it is, and like you said Dawes and Watts to get Talia and Morris. Talia is an amazing defender, so don't be surprised if he comprehensively beats his opponent.

As far as Minson, he's been largely ineffectual around the ground for most of the season, his domination is his tapwork. I don't know about your ruckmen, but if any of them are good around the ground this is where they can exploit Big Will.

I was going to ask about Griffen and who would get the job on him, but you've answered that already :p If Nicholson hasn't been tagging much, or isn't used to it, then Griffen should absolutely destroy him. No slight on Nicholson, Griffen has just been in ripping form, probably second only to the little master himself over the past few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back